Unfair treatment of cat

Mark602
Mark602 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 21 November 2018 at 4:21PM in Pets & pet care
Hi,

In the Spring of 2017 a cat started coming to my dads garden. After a while it appeared the cat was staying there permanently and sleeping under a bush so my partner and I took it to the vet to check for a microchip. The cat was chipped and we then spoke with the owners. The owners said the cat has moved itself out because it doesn’t like her children or dog. She said the cat has a cat flap, bed and food so could come back any time but she hasn’t seen it for months. She had no interest in getting the cat back and seemed to have just accepted the cat had chose to move out and that was that.

My dad explicitly stated he didn’t want the cat as he doesn’t like cats, however his partner persuaded him to start letting it in the house and feed it. My dad went along with this to keep his partner happy, although his partner didn’t live with him so he was frequently the one caring for it but she would care for it when she was at his house. The cat continued to live outside and would just come in when my dad was around and let her in. The cat would howl outside the back door to be let in. My dad/his partnerwould leave it bowls of food and water permanently outside and never ever cleaned them. There would be flies all around/on the food, filthy water and lots of leaves in the bowl. I would clean these when I sporadically visited.
My dad refused to provide any vetinary care and refused to take the cat for yearly vaccinations, which RSPCA have privately told my partner is a welfare concern.

Fast forward to now, my dad has split up with his partner. Myself and my partner have expressed that we would like to get the cat and have it live with us. My partner has grown up with cats and absolutely adores them and has found the current treatment of this cat highly distressing. We would care for it properly, have fields opposite our house and a large garden.
However, my dad said his now ex-partner wants the cat but can’t take the cat because she has loads of pets that the cat would find stressful (a dog, rabbits, a parrot/some kind of bird, etc). Although he has split up with her, his priority is still not to upset her in any way. My partner and I are worried as another winter approaches but my dad refuses to engage in any discussion about the cat and turns nasty when I suggest we are taking it. I don’t want to push him and severe my relationship with him. Although I’m 32 he still does treat me like a child. We had thought about just taking the cat but are concerned this would be seen as kidnap and illegal. We are absolutely stuck and there seems to be no solution in sight.

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Speak to the 'official owner', bung them a few quid and get them to sign the cat over to you. Neither your father or his ex have any authority to give or refuse this cat to you. Once you have it signed over to you, just take it. That's what I'd do. Poor little thing.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Why not take the cat on a temporary basis and discuss with the registered owner? It's very cold outside at night now, and it would be cruel to knowingly leave an animal outside without shelter.

Your Dad isn't remotely interested in providing a home for this poor cat, or looking after it in any way. He isn't the registered owner, and hasn't claimed ownership of the cat.

You can either take affirmative action which could very well save the cat's life, or allow the present and unsatisfactory situation to continue, which could result in the cat freezing to death outside one night.
  • It's not your dads cat so it's really not up to him. Speak to the original owners and ask if they're happy for you to take the cat in.

I'm surprised the RSPCA told you that not taking the cat for yearly vaccinations is a welfare concern though, many people don't.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,280
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Another long time cat owner who is surprised by RSPCA advice.
  • The exact written words of the RSPCA was: “Failing to provide vetinary care is a welfare concern”.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,280
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mark602 wrote: »
    The exact written words of the RSPCA was: “Failing to provide vetinary care is a welfare concern”.

I would view that as not taking a sick cat to the vets is a welfare issue, not lack of annual vaccinations.
  • Oh right I see!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Kidnap the cat, pass to a willing accomplice, hand in as a freezing stray to a large rescue, giving their own details if asked. They will likely have the original owner sign the cat over to their care.

Or repeatedly and anonymously report current failure of care to the RSPCA. I have known cases where they consider regular feeding as ownership. Failure to provide adequate shelter can elicit a formal warning.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • It doesn't sound like the owner is unwilling to hand over. The OP hasn't asked the official owner. This should be their first port of call.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    OP, do you have an update on this cat?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing