Redundancy looming, advise needed

MegaMug
MegaMug Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 20 November 2018 at 9:22PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Earlier in the year myself and 4 colleagues were put into consultation for redundancy. We were told business had decided our existing roles were no longer needed, however there were temporary jobs we could be moved into finishing at the end of December.

We moved into the new roles, but we have had no communication since whether or not these roles will definitely be ending then, our last positions started as temporary, then were made permanent, hence the hope these may be the same.

Do we get our notice, or given we were told roles ending December, does this mean no notice needs to be given?

Should we have some further consultation? Whilst we knew these roles were temporary, should the company be exploring any other opportunities available? It seems the assumption is we all just finishing. Is this right, or should we be consulted with before these roles end, at least to determine if there is an alternative to redundancy.

As yet, no confirmation, no offer of any meetings and no redundancy package has been communicated, with only 6 weeks to go it’s a worry.

Any advise or help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,704
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This is a conversation you need to be having with your employer.
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying.

We have raised these questions, but not given any information as yet. Apparently we will hear from HR in due course.

I was hoping that someone who’d had a similar experience or has some knowledge might of been able to give me some advise in the meantime.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,871
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You and your colleagues have been made redundant from one role and have accepted alternative work in the form of a fixed-term contract. Your right to redundancy from your previous role has expired, but you may need to be given notice and may need to be made redundant(fairly) from your current roles. This link will answer your questions:

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/terminating-fixed-term-contracts/
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Hi,

Thank you . The article you directed me too was really helpful.

We were not given new employment contracts, so I would imagine redundancy and notice should be given.

I have asked my employer again for some clarity, as we are now only 5 weeks away and it would be helpful to know.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure