Dental Bridge over a gap of 2 missing teeth-Can it be done?

Comments

• clairec79 wrote: »
    While there may be some dentist justs out to make money the same as in any profession I don't believe the majority are

I somehow ended up with a credit to my dental account - the only thing that I could put it down to was I'd had a root filling on a tooth which about a month later caused major problems and I needed to have an extraction (dentist did warn me), all of a sudden I was quite a lot in credit with the dentist (about the level of a root canal treatment), all the receptionist could tell me was I'd paid for something I shouldn't have.

If they were just out for money they'd have kept what I'd paid them, plus for any other course of treatment, because I was happy to pay

Ok, fair enough. If I said ALL dentists I shouldn't have. There will obviously be some dentist who are more honest than others, but my experience in general, is that most of them want that something extra from you, a particular trick is to not fill a tooth like they used to, but extract it (It's decayed don't you know) Ok, same band 2 charge of £59.10.

But now of course you have a gap to be filled, Kerchink!
    Band 3 now £256 for a bridge, oh but wait, they can't span more than one tooth on the NHS (What?) so you need private bridge work at £1400 if your lucky.

What a state!
    That's where I am. Need a two tooth bridge that they won't do on the NHS but are quite willing to do privately for £1400

You couldn't make it up!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 November 2018 at 4:01PM
    You making it sound like the Dentists are just about managing.
    I didn't get that impression from the 4 brand new 4x4 cars on the carpark. As they were still there on my second and third visits one can presume they are the Dentists cars.

I just Googled "average Dentist Pay" and this is what can be seen first page Google snippetts.

Most dentists are self-employed contractors in general practice, mixing NHS with private work. In this setting you can earn £50,000 to £110,000. Wholly private dentists can earn £140,000+. If you work as a dentist employed by the NHS, mainly in community dental services, you'll earn a salary of £38,861 to £83,118.

So there you have it, you could earn a very nice £50k-110k just from NHS work, but why the hell would you when you can earn literally anything you want?

I don't expect the two "tooth fairies" on here to understand. As I said, them agreeing would be like turkeys voting for xmas, but I want people to understand their Dentist isn't the friendly caring NHS employee with your best interest at heart (which is usually the case in our great NHS) Your Dentist has a different agenda and that my friends in need, is to take as much of your hard earned money as they can as quickly as they can.

Toothsmith asked what I would do about it if I were in charge.
    Well, I'm no expert but what about a cap on NHS dentistry earnings. So, yes, you can work for the NHS as a considerate Dentist but you'll be paid the same a as a Nurse or a Firefighter or policeman, around £28,000.
    "Oh what, you want to drive Lamborghinis and travel first class. Ok, Go private then? Start your own business whatever. Bye"

That way, we would get the best, people that cared about people in need, rather than their own back pockets!

Nuff said me thinks!

Well done on getting someone to read my post to you. You should have got someone to read and explain your own post back to you though!!

You even put it in blue!!!most dentists are self employed contractors!!

That means - we do run our own business!!

We buy, equip and maintain the buildings. We hire & pay the staff. Some then sub-contract their services to the NHS. These days the NHS contracts are capped - so not only do those who choose to do NHS work still run their own business (Like you suggested should happen) They also have their income capped (Like you also suggested!!!)

But - I have left the NHS. I did it in 2006 and have managed very well without it in a little northern market town. My patients are ordinary people - just like you but without the chip on their shoulder about anyone who may or may not be earning more than they do.

Where I work is not too far from Batley where the dental charity Dentaid have started running clinics due to the failures of the NHS.

https://www.dentaid.org/news/busy-clinics-in-kirklees/?fbclid=IwAR1c-97UOeG0WmAwc4thN2eXehcQm0Bgcx3U0cFpljknGFmkQs2lbHuX8Ag

Before you drive over to one of the places in the article though - they will not do a bridge for you for free!

I do donate to Dentaid - and although I haven't yet - it is on my to-do list to volunteer for them too. Maybe you would like to donate to them, to help those with genuine dental distress? There are enough of them before we get to those who just don't fancy a denture.

You certainly aren't an expert, but do feel free to carry on 'entertaining' everyone!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Definitely a troll. We should all work for free and live in a state funded commune.
    I am just off to tell my butler to polish my Rolls collection before I prepare for another day of screwing peoples wallets.
  • You making it sound like the Dentists are just about managing.
    I didn't get that impression from the 4 brand new 4x4 cars on the carpark. As they were still there on my second and third visits one can presume they are the Dentists cars.

I just Googled "average Dentist Pay" and this is what can be seen first page Google snippetts.

Most dentists are self-employed contractors in general practice, mixing NHS with private work. In this setting you can earn £50,000 to £110,000. Wholly private dentists can earn £140,000+. If you work as a dentist employed by the NHS, mainly in community dental services, you'll earn a salary of £38,861 to £83,118.

So there you have it, you could earn a very nice £50k-110k just from NHS work, but why the hell would you when you can earn literally anything you want?

I don't expect the two "tooth fairies" on here to understand. As I said, them agreeing would be like turkeys voting for xmas, but I want people to understand their Dentist isn't the friendly caring NHS employee with your best interest at heart (which is usually the case in our great NHS) Your Dentist has a different agenda and that my friends in need, is to take as much of your hard earned money as they can as quickly as they can.

Toothsmith asked what I would do about it if I were in charge.
    Well, I'm no expert but what about a cap on NHS dentistry earnings. So, yes, you can work for the NHS as a considerate Dentist but you'll be paid the same a as a Nurse or a Firefighter or policeman, around £28,000.
    "Oh what, you want to drive Lamborghinis and travel first class. Ok, Go private then? Start your own business whatever. Bye"

That way, we would get the best, people that cared about people in need, rather than their own back pockets!

Nuff said me thinks!

If it is such an easy way to earn a good living I'm surprised you don't go and qualify. If you have good enough A levels you could apply to do a degree, apparently it takes 5 years. You will come out with lots of debt but I'm sure you will soon pay it off. Of course once you qualify if you want to set up your own practice so you can cash in you will need to get a suitable building and equip it, then find the support staff, pay for registration with the CQC I think and of course insurance. I daresay you will probably struggle for a while with all that debt but eventually you might get the flash car. Good luck.
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Christ I wish I could get a denture made for £22!!! The lab fee alone is well over £100!!!
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    My husband has just paid £2500 for a new set of dentures, the lady who made them is wonderful, he has been back a few times for adjustments and knows they will take a while to get used to, could have got them on the NHS but decided as we could afford it to go private.
    Yes it is a lot of money but we would spend that on a holiday and these will last longer than that.
    Also paid more than that for his hearing aids, but hey ho.............
  • Archergirl wrote: »
    My husband has just paid £2500 for a new set of dentures, the lady who made them is wonderful, he has been back a few times for adjustments and knows they will take a while to get used to, could have got them on the NHS but decided as we could afford it to go private.
    Yes it is a lot of money but we would spend that on a holiday and these will last longer than that.
    Also paid more than that for his hearing aids, but hey ho.............

Yes, of course the lady is wonderful.
    She just made £2.5k for a piece of plastic!
    She's hardly going to treat you badly is she?
    God's sake!
  • Toothsmith.
    What is your problem with me.
    i am entitled to have my opinion based on my experiences at several dentist.
    Each and every one of them cares about one thing and one thing only-Money
    They cannot wait to extract good teeth because they know, you will, in the future, want a bridge, or need dentures, or implants at £2000 each.
    I always thought MP's was the least trustworthy profession, but I have changed my mind to Dentists.
    Listen to what my dentist told me regarding a 2 tooth gap.
    "I can't do it on the NHS but I can do it privately for £1400"
    It's a national disgrace and someone needs to sort this mess out.

Also, there's no need for you to get personal just because you used to be a dentist. But now you've started I will reply.

Hey, your doing some charity work, great, why, are you feeling guilty for fleecing off all that nice money from desperate people who you were supposed to be helping.
    Helping yourself more like.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 November 2018 at 10:52PM
    My problem with you is that you're a bit of a twonk!

You have no suggestion for how the mess that we both agree the NHS dental service is, should be sorted out!

Why do you think I 'used to be' a dentist?

I still am! (Well, as far as anyone on the Internet is who they say they are!) I just stopped doing NHS stuff in 2006 because it's a crap system!

Your dentist is absolutely right. They cannot do a bridge on the NHS, but £1400 is a pretty decent price to get it done privately.

So long as you think all it is is the value of its component bits - then you will be doomed to a life of being ripped off by absolutely everyone!! From the barman charging you £4 for a 5p beer to the estate agent wanting £350k for a £10k pile of bricks and fixtures on a £75k bit of land! (Which is probably only £500 of topsoil really!)
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • "A Twonk"
    Lol, thank you. I have been called a lot worse.

Anyway, back to our argument.

I fully expect to get ripped off in many areas of my life. From the pubs to the estate agent as you say, the difference is, they are choices that I make. Dentistry isn't a choice, it's a necessity, and as an NHS patient, we are usually entitled to the best treatment available.

Unfortunately, the dentists I have encountered are more interested in making profit than their patients.
    It's very obvious. I don't really understand you defending the indefensible, but as I said before "turkeys voting for christmas comes to mind"
    I often look at my pathetic piece of dentures in my cupboard draw. £258 for a piece of plastic that didn't fit properly, made me lisp for the 2 weeks I tried it for, and was total unfit for purpose. Times me by how many other folk have this waste of time dentures in their cupboard draws.
    Of course, if it's your front teeth, you may have to just put up with the lisping and ridiculous amount of denture for the gap, so maybe I'm lucky to be able to simply ditch the rubbish, but I still feel mistreated.

If this is the standard dentistry, then it's simply not good enough. A 2 gap denture should be just that, 2 gapped denture, not a "whole of the mouth piece of plastic that is uncomfortable, makes you lisp, and ends up in your cupboard draw!

And from the 1st April 2019 the charges have increased. It's now £269 for standard dentist work of fitting one crown.
    £62 for a filling or extraction (10 mins work)

You gotta laugh. Oh, how I wish I was in charge of Dentistry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure