Being Made Redundant but job given to others already?

Hi all,

My current employer merged with another company around a year ago and at the time 'inherited' a another office more North with a few employees. We have integrated with them for the past year, but were suddenly pulled into a meeting on Friday to tell myself and the others in our department that they were moving all of our roles to the Northern Office effective immediately and that we were at risk of being made redundant. We were all straight away placed on Garden leave and told to clear out our desks, given letters for our first consultancy meeting and all of our email accounts were locked. It has been in the running for quite some time from what we've heard.

I have since found out that they have hired several more employees in the Northern Office over the past few weeks or months (unsure of how long they've been there) to replace us. Two of my other colleagues from my office have been taken to this office to train them for their roles.

Some of my colleagues have said we should go for unfair dismissal as these people have been given our roles before we were offered to relocate? Would this work? They are employed within the same company as us, and I think have the same job title. Can the company spring this on us like this? I only have two working days between being told I'm at risk and my first consultancy meeting.

Also, any other advice would be taken gratefully. I'm thankfully entitled to four weeks notice but no redundancy package as I've been with the company for less than two years. I don't think I've ever been so stressed!

Thanks

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family