Nhs possible redundancy

2»

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't know which part of the country you're in, Scotland developed and pioneered PIN policies and many trusts across the UK adopted similar.

Have a read through https://www.gov.scot/Publications/2014/12/3581/4

Have you involved union?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Hi again

So I received my restructure letter and there are in fact a total of 83 people involved and the numbers are being culled down to 25!!! For my band out of the 58 (band 2) they require 15 whole time equivalents.
    We are being desktop selected via points scoring , I’m in no doubt I won’t be a chosen one as I only do 16hrs and I’m pretty confident the will try their hardest to fill the posts with full timers/ people who are more flexible etc that coupled with the fact they are changing the opening hours of the department thus removing my shift too by 30mins.
    I’m now in a 45 day consultation period following which we will have a further 45 day consultation. February will be selection process and 18th feb we will know who had a job the rest served with statutory redundancy notice (obviously we will also be placed on the redeployment list during this notice) however being as though we will be looking at in excess of 50 people there is little to no chance of most being redeployed
    I’ve emailed HR to ask if anyone had preference of redundancy if this was something considered. Being as though they have a lot of people to find places for I’d hope it would be considered thus maybe saving someone else who is in a better position than myself .
    March 29th is the day all is implemented. So from 18th feb to March 29 that’s around 6 weeks to get remaining staff into a new job !!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    The smart ones will start looking now and snap any jobs going first before they get ring fenced for the redeployment pool.

90 days is very generous. More a sign they are not confident with the proposal.
  • I've been through two NHS redundancy situations. The first I survived and was redeployed into a job that I really enjoyed.

In the second my employer made no effort to help me find a suitable alternative employment - from which I concluded they wanted to get rid of me! I wasn't bothered as the trust had gone through several re-organisations and was no longer a happy place to work. I was relieved to escape.

My general advice would be to try to go for redeployment if possible. If shifts/childcare are a problem, then mavbe not.

Be careful not to turn down any "suitable alternative position" unreasonably. You could lose any redundancy entitlement.

If you are not already in a union it is almost certain that it's too late to join now for this problem.
  • The smart ones won’t be looking within the trust as they have put a freeze on all jobs and we will not be placed on the redeployment lists now until after selection thus leaving a very short period to redeploy a hell of a lot of people as far as I’m concerned they will struggle 4 band 5s 7 band 3s and over 50 band 2s to be honest I’d be glad to get out of there as this restructure is just the first so clearly I wouldn’t be safe again
  • I've been through two NHS redundancy situations. The first I survived and was redeployed into a job that I really enjoyed.

In the second my employer made no effort to help me find a suitable alternative employment - from which I concluded they wanted to get rid of me! I wasn't bothered as the trust had gone through several re-organisations and was no longer a happy place to work. I was relieved to escape.

My general advice would be to try to go for redeployment if possible. If shifts/childcare are a problem, then mavbe not.

Be careful not to turn down any "suitable alternative position" unreasonably. You could lose any redundancy entitlement.

If you are not already in a union it is almost certain that it's too late to join now for this problem.

The union will be assisting at these big meetings we are having next week, anything other than the hours I’m currently working will !!!!!! me up childcare wise unfortunately. This is the second round of us being culled only the last time in March just gone it was much easier as they just got rid of all zeros and some fixed term they too had little to no help or assistance in redeployment.

It looks to me that it’s inevitable there will be redundancy in some cases we have such a variety of people some are very much ready to go ( a fair few in late 60s)

It’s gping to be a tough few months as far as I can see, people are already getting nasty. I’m not interested in the whole competing either I have a job or I’ll have a redundancy it’s as simple as that I suppose
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Laying off people in their 60s can be expensive sometime better to keep them on and not replace when they leave anyway helps wind down the unit.

If there is no support for redeployment this that want jobs need to be proactive in securing a position.
  • The people in their 60s have actually already retired ...,then Come back, all of them so I shouldn’t think they will be too bad to pay off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure