NHS Contract says Permanent but it should be FTC

2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Yes. It's a bit of a hobby horse of mine. I've seen many disappointed NHS employees who thought they had a permanent (ie forever) contract only to find they can be sacked in the first two years for no reason at all or be made redundant.

I don't think (I may be wrong) that the OP has an NHS contract anyway. They may have a contract with a poorly HR advised social provider, but not the NHS. (I retired six years ago so may be completely wrong),

Otherwise employees of Serco, Capita, Initial etc would be NHS employees.
    I agree, that was my impression too, that the OP isn't on an NHS contract anyway, as they work for a social enterprise, not the NHS. But I also wish I had a £ for every person who told me that they had a permanent contract. I'm old enough to recall when fixed term contracts were associated with very different employment rights, like no redundancy pay even after many years. These days, they really have no relevance....
  • Katgrit
    Katgrit Posts: 555
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ignoring the fact that the OP might not actually work for the NHS but a 3rd party I thought my situation might be relevant. I'm on a permanent contract with the NHS, but working for a service that's provided on a 3 year contract. The SERVICE contract is up for tender every 3 years, and reagreed but that's totally separate from MY employment contract. Could this be similar to the OPs situation and he's getting confused? Ie, he's got a permanent contract but his company is only contacted for X years to provide that service to the NHS? So he'll still have the job, but it might be at another hospital/prison/school/factory etc under a different service contract?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 November 2018 at 11:10PM
    Tell me, where in your NHS contract does it say your employment is permanent?

I have never heard (save for Glaswejen's post above about her husband - but that's in Scotland) of any NHS trust which would give anyone a "permanent" contract. There is no such thing as a permanenet (ie forever) contract anyway.

EDIT: The NHS trust I used to work for recently outsourced its drugs and alcohol service to a third party, The NHS staff affected were (1) TUPE'd over to the new provider, or (2) redeployed, or (3) made redundant.

Katgrit - you need to be wary. If your service goes out to tender agin and a different 3rd party wins it, any of the above three might happen to you. (or at least thet's my view on your situation. Others may be able to correct me).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure