Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Comments

• lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Well done dusty!!!!!!! A very well deserved fish and chips :)
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ouch! Almost a week since I posted here. Not been well,cant shake the infections. Also I have been in a bit of a fog of depression. It rolls in and I just cant push myself to do anything at all,just sit there mostly staring at the garden,with a roiling stomach full of the butterflies you get before the dentist or that crucial work interview or whatever,but with little logical cause.Mind you,it was probably triggered by the birthdays of my two sisters,but for some reason I focused mostly on the 101st anniversary of my grandfather who died in France in 1917. Last year I took flowers to the local cenotaph where his name is engraved. This year I couldnt drag my thoughts away from my mother. She was only six when her father died,and two weeks later her 15 year old brother died too. She left school at 11 to take care of her younger siblings,and never ever mentioned her father or brother or those difficult years,not once down the years.Somehow that upset me even more,and I just generally felt down.:(:( Couldnt even bring myself to post here,or on any of my sites. Normally I never miss a day
    Ah well,I am coming out of it now. But its a good job I am keeping the house fairly tidy these days,because for the best part of a week I didnt do a thing,and as for the diet,good luck with that,just been calming my insides with carbs,dreading tomorrow's weigh-in:eek:

No recycling,no exercise either. Did do a fair bit reading,usually in the middle of the night,or at dawnas sleep was a joke,so I have now managed to finish 11/12 of my April TBR pile,so thats a silver lining. But I've got to get back on track,post daily tasks,hobbies and exercise and frugal finances. Posting here helps me get on track and accomplish things,a bit ashamed I couldnt work up the gumption to post here,which would have perhaps prodded me out of my funk.
    Ah well,as Scarlett says,tomorrow is another day!:o
    Mr Dusty has been doing the shopping and I got a few more £2 coins for the pot,making £84:TI think more of them are turning up now:D
    Family history group today,I may snaffle one or two there.Have done nothing at all in sorting the paperwork for my family tree,got to focus on that too.
    Off to cook now then the history group,so I may not get back on here today,but definitely tomorrow.Promise!!!!
  • Sayschezza
    Sayschezza Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to hear you have felt rotten but you did the best you could by battening down the hatches and riding it out. Sometimes it's good to just wallow. Glad you are now feeling better though. Hope SW isn't too grim.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sorry that things are difficult for you.
    Take care.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lonelyrat
    lonelyrat Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Aw Dusty, seems like a tough week. Sometimes things get overwhelming and you do sink into it... There's nothing wrong with it as long as you do eventually "chin up" (my favourite phrase :rotfl:) You've had a lot on your mind and sometimes you do just need time.

Well done on all the reading and good luck with SW :)
    Total Debt : ?? / ??
  • dustydigger
    edited 26 April 2018 at 10:38PM
    Thanks for your kind support,people :T

Managed to get to the cemetery at last today. The bus didnt go near the place so I got my daily exercise getting there! :D.It was a sunny day,the place looked so beautiful,but the wind was fierce and very cold. My nieces had obviously been up on my sister's birthday,the 22nd,as the grave was sparkling clean(its under a tree and can get stained) and the flowers fresh.. Had a few tears,but it can be a comfort when there to think of family.
    I had a 10 min walkafterwards to get to a bus stop and then I stood 25 mins waiting in the freezing cold. The bus just never turned up,and when the next one appeared the driver said he hadnt passed him anywhere so goodness knows where he was!:rotfl:
    Unfortunately I wasnt feeling too good and went dizzy climbing on the bus,fell flat on the floor,very embarrassing. Driver was very kind and concerned and when I staggered after getting off he got out and asked if I needed help. I pointed out my home about 25 yards away,but he kindly stayed at the stop till I turned in my gate. What a lovely young man!Tonight my shin bones and my hands where I fell are a bit bruised and tender,but I'm otherwise OK.Not sure what was wrong exactly,but I havent been really up to par for about 10 days,though I am improving I think.As I always say,you couldnt raffle me,no-one would buy a ticket!:rotfl:
    Busy time for birthdays round about now.Over in USA its my step granddaughters' birthdays today and 5th May,and my stepson's on 12 May. We sent all three cards in a covering envelope to save on postage,hope we dont look too much like Scrooges! Tomorrow its GD2s 19th birthday,I popped over with her card tonight. Where do the years go? Now I have a good break till July for birthdays.Just as well,the birthday fund is empty once more.:)
    Made £2.50 on Prolific surveys today,that makes £19.45,one more survey and I can cash out,I will still keep on doing them though,they are so odd and quirky,and I enjoy trying to work out if the researchers have any hidden agendas. Good fun.
    On the reading front I have just finished the witty,informative and amusing Eats,Shoots and Leaves,by Lynn Truss about the history and use of punctuation,and how the latest generation havent a clue,because of tweeting and texting etc. It was a fun refresher for me,I had forgotten an awful lot of rules in the last few decades.There are quite a few missing apostrophe in this very post. I cant be bothered to fiddle with apostrophes (there's one missing in ''cant'' in this very sentence! :rotfl:But I would automatically if I was writing - which is rare these days, when I come to think of it,cant remember when I last wrote a letter to anyone.
    But the rules are pretty ingrained. Those teachers back in grammar school way way back definitely did a thorough job on us. I remember our English language teacher used to deduct a half mark for any spelling mistakes. We soon learned to be very careful indeed.
    Hmmm,but all that parsing sentences,subordinate clauses,etc etc,was tough stuff. I doubt if my grandkids have even HEARD of parsing :D
    Anyway that leaves only one book to finish to complete one of my mini challenges on LibraryThing,to read books from 8 different genres this month. Only the fantasy category to finish,50 pages left.I like the challenge,it keeps my reading fresh reading from different genres.
    My genres this month were : science fiction,fantasy,crime,young adult, junior fiction,nonfiction,women's fiction,and historical mystery.
    Oops,time to go to bed. Poor night's sleep(as usual) last night,lots of exercise and a fall today,so I hope to sleep well tonight!:D
  • dustydigger
    Maintained this week at SW at the 4 stone lost level.Pretty good after the fish and chips! :rotfl:But 1/2lb in 12 weeks is really depressing.Embarrassing too as my son pays for me. What with weekly fees,magazines,hi-fi bars etc,thats more than £70.:eek:
    I will try to stay at the 4 st lost level next week (its nice looking at a weight in the 13 st instead of 14 st ;)) but I will not take part in the next SWchallenge in the slimming thread. I want to maintain at this weight for a while,and avoid the stress of fighting against the stupid underactive thyroid which is obviously interfering with weight loss. With 3 stone still to lose I shouldnt be stuck when I am eating healthier now that I ever have.:mad: But apparently hyperthyroidism is a notorious obstacle to good weight loss.
    I will continue eating as much free food as possible,and tomatoes,cucumber and eggs are all great for a healthy thyroid,though I cant see me eating seaweed :D Plus step up the exercise to raise my metabolism if possible.Got plans for that!
    Hopefully I can restart with the July challenge.
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear that you had a fall when you got on the bus .Had you been standing in the same spot for a good while ? I have that problem too if i stand still for a long while so now try to walk up and down even if its a few steps either way and even if it looks silly ,i hope you are feeling a bit better this evening .
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear about your fall.
    Take care.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    edited 28 April 2018 at 12:33PM
    try_harder wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you had a fall when you got on the bus .Had you been standing in the same spot for a good while ? I have that problem too if i stand still for a long while so now try to walk up and down even if its a few steps either way and even if it looks silly ,i hope you are feeling a bit better this evening .

Hi,tryharder!Not sure what happened,just sort of faded away,and my leg didnt move onto the step,but banged on the metal rim of the step and I fell to my knees.The bruises are magnificently colourful now,but less painful.Good job I usually wear trousers!:D It could be with standing huddled in a corner of the shed trying in vain to avoid the nasty winds,and I was there for 25 minutes,so your idea could be right.
    Feel OK now - if I dont touch the bruises!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure