* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Treasurequeen
    Options
    A warm Welcome to the thread Coxy and Thrice. I cashed in some cashback for a restaurant voucher from zeek to go with my parents main present. Only had to pay £9.50 towards the £20.00 voucher. I am doing them a hamper to go with it and I am buying a few food items with my food shop each week. Still got to get my brother, pets, stocking gifts and a gift for my grandad but am struggling as to what to get him. He doesn't need anything else for his garden and he hasn't got a hobby.

I got a few hallmark Christmas cards in the sale online so now only need to get two special cards and then I am finished. Will need to get some boxed cards this year though as I haven't got many left from last year. Stamps have been bought for the cards that need posting.

I am on the hunt for some traditional Christmas themed placemats and tea towels. I am going to make some Christmas cloth napkins and beaded napkin rings. Just got to find some fabric I actually like which will be hard as I am so indecisive.
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome to the thread COXY and THRICE and welcome back LINZ.

Think DD1 and I might be going to a big Christmas fair in November which will be fun.

Nothing really festive going on at the mo as it’s DH’s big birthday in a few weeks and I’m planning a big family dinner for him. Once that’s over it’ll be full steam ahead!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Coxy, Thrice and Linz :)

Yesterday I picked up a tiny notepad for my mum, I always get her some new stationery - I bought this for 50p in Wilk0. And then today I got a gigantic box of crafts for my friend's little boy from Mr T - this was just £3 on sale, it looks like it's worth so much more! So really pleased with that. Another person ticked off the list which is great.

I'm going shopping tomorrow and hoping I'll find some more bits. I'm going to treat myself to some new Autumn clothes and maybe some homeware too I think...

Has anyone spotted any Christmas wrapping paper in the stores yet? If so, where have you seen it? I've just seen the Matal4n online Christmas store so far but would love to pick some up tomorrow if I can.

I spotted Christmas presents in Mr T today too! No prices on them yet, but some nice bits and bobs.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend! :)
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Sorry can't help with the wrapping paper I have a drawer full I picked up in the sale after last Christmas :rotfl: It is still quite early for a lot of shops to be displaying christmas ranges at the minute (early for them never too early for me)

I picked up my Matalan order so that is a few more bits for gifts put away. Finished my friends with a tea selection set I think she will like. Got a couple of bits for other half too I have had to hide away. Also couldn't resist the Christmas Countdown chalkboard - just trying to work out when is a reasonable time to start counting dpwn :rotfl:

When I went to pick up my Matalan order I picked up a tropical four in a row game for £1 - like connect four . That will go towards one of the family kids presents

Still waiting on a few orders to arrive - including my non christmassy matress purchase. Gutted it isn't here already haha
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Also just in case any of you use them the tesco giftcard website currently has 10% off ITunes vouchers. Pretty sure you would be safe to buy them now for Christmas if needed
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The Card Factory have some cards and gift bags out already so they might have wrapping paper too...like StokieBecks I have enough wrapping paper to last several years.

Welcome all newbies.

I do love Christmas but not sure how I feel about Xmas cards being in store in Aug, I wonder if shops do this so perhaps they don't need to rely on a peak in revenue in Nov so much. I guess it does also help people spread the cost of Christmas if they're not very good at putting money aside.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    2 parcels arrived this week so that's DS2 sorted
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I love that the cards are in the shops! We often struggle with having 2 pushchairs making it's so much easier being able to get them now!
    I've also got loads of wrapping paper., but as well as the card shops the works has been gettin Xmas stuff in as well x
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the help! I really should have popped by card fact0ry today to see if they had any. I thought I had a stash (as I usually do) left over from sales, but I looked the other week and I don't have much at all...oops! Will definitely get a stash together again when the January sales are on :)

Picked up 2 presents today, both for my dad. I got him some quite difficult looking puzzle books from The W0rks. He loves his Sudoku and is pretty clever, so I'm hoping he'll love these.

I was successful with the clothes and homeware shopping too, which is great :)
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all (just),
    Three family birthdays in September, so the last few days I've been buying bits for those. MIL is getting some earrings from Etsy (forget me nots in resin), plus some chocs. BIL has an echo dot (they are currently reduced to £35 from £50 but I had a £5 voucher for Arg0s, so £30), Nephew (11) is getting a meccano ferrari plus something else - maybe some sweeties.

On the Christmas front I've sourced a cushion for DD's newly decorated room - again from Etsy. Nothing else this week.

I've been putting some money away but the majority of Christmas will be paid for from my £2 savings pot and other shrapnel sealed pots, which I will open on 1st Nov. Hoping for £300 :)

Have a good day all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure