Baby steps to mortgage freedom for beanielou.

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    beanielou wrote: »
    I dont care about new or second hand.
    It has to be about the weight.
    Yes, I want to be able to use it myself & get it in & out of the car myself other wise there is no point.
    Why is it so fluffing complicated.

I have *no* idea. I still can't see why they're so expensive as well.

Ideally you want something a bit like this (though probably with a better chair) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Electronic-Mobility-Tricycle-Foldable/dp/B01M1E2CFO - unfortunately this is direct from China.

But even things like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Motocross-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Electric/dp/B073TLV1RY have essentially all the right bits - I don't see how people can justify the additional £1000 for a greater carrying capacity and a swing chair.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    You may be best off speaking to a salesman, because this https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-ms01060/careco-airlite-3-wheel-travel-mobility-scooter is one of the lightest I can see.

You may also want to investigate something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LI12-12-Ultramax-12v-12Ah-LiFePO4-Lithium-Iron-Phosphate-Battery-and-Charger-/122423814678?epid=719328740&hash=item1c81072a16:g:2W0AAOSwc-tY3lF7 as they're a lot better than lead-acid batteries (but they do cost).
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ZTD wrote: »
    I have *no* idea. I still can't see why they're so expensive as well.

Ideally you want something a bit like this (though probably with a better chair) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Electronic-Mobility-Tricycle-Foldable/dp/B01M1E2CFO - unfortunately this is direct from China.

But even things like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Motocross-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Electric/dp/B073TLV1RY have essentially all the right bits - I don't see how people can justify the additional £1000 for a greater carrying capacity and a swing chair.

The second one made me laugh :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I struggled with getting the scooter bits in and out which is why we ended up with a hoist.....having to lift them over the lip of the boot is hellishly heavy. Might be worth trying one at your local mobility shop (you don't need to buy from them) or speak to motability about swapping to a car suitable for a hoist. I just have to attach two clips and the remote control lifts DHs scooter in and out of the car for me in one piece.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • beanielou
    ZTD wrote: »
    You may be best off speaking to a salesman, because this https://www.careco.co.uk/item-p-ms01060/careco-airlite-3-wheel-travel-mobility-scooter is one of the lightest I can see.

You may also want to investigate something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LI12-12-Ultramax-12v-12Ah-LiFePO4-Lithium-Iron-Phosphate-Battery-and-Charger-/122423814678?epid=719328740&hash=item1c81072a16:g:2W0AAOSwc-tY3lF7 as they're a lot better than lead-acid batteries (but they do cost).

Really really liking the look of the first one.
    No.t in stock til October which is just as well as I only have a quid in the scooter fund:rotfl::rotfl::p
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• beanielou
    Pooky wrote: »
    I struggled with getting the scooter bits in and out which is why we ended up with a hoist.....having to lift them over the lip of the boot is hellishly heavy. Might be worth trying one at your local mobility shop (you don't need to buy from them) or speak to motability about swapping to a car suitable for a hoist. I just have to attach two clips and the remote control lifts DHs scooter in and out of the car for me in one piece.

Thanks Pooky.
    I have just got my new car last week.
    When I ordered it I really wasent considering a scooter seriously but in between ordering & picking up car I had quite a tumble one day & gave even myself a fright. Also my muscle tone is becoming poorer so ..............
    I am trying to do advance damage limitation as I think everyone is agreed that one of these days I will just not be so lucky as a suspected broken nose & concussion , bruises & scrapes & broken glasses.
    Bad timing really.

What do you think of the CareCOo AirLite that Z put the link up to please? Thanks

• Pooky
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've no experience of that so best find a local dealer where you can give it a go. Doesnt matter if you can lift it but you need to be able to get it in and out of the car, pushing bits to the back of the boot, pulling bit forward etc. I know you've just got your new car but motability are fab if you need to change. They want to help you so don't discount changing cars in a month or so if you need to.

I battled on for 2 years lifting the scooter in and out and have damaged myself in the process.
  • beanielou
    Thanks Pooky.
    Sorry that you have damaged yourself in the process :(
    You found anything else yet?

• Pooky
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Booked in for a test drive tomorrow but DH isn't feeling great so not sure we'll make it x
  • beanielou
    Well you can always rearrange :) xx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback