Phone given to a six year old?

Options

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I mean when I was a kid, many moons ago, kids had to actually interact with each other. Social skills were learned

Nowadays, they just press buttons..and get ''achievements''

No they don't. They still go to school, meet and play with their friends, visit family, go shopping, eat out, go on holidays, using technology is part of their lives these days, like it or not.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't see the issue its not a phone. Without the SIM its an ipod/tablet.

My son had a second hand ipod when he was young (can't remember the exact age). Reason being I didn't want his apps on my phone. There were rules it was set up under my account and passworded so I had to download all apps, he was only allowed educational games and the ipod was not allowed upstairs (he is now 11 and has his own phone but the rules still apply the phone is not allowed in his bedroom and I still have to put in a password for new apps).

Having his own had it benefits, when were out he couldn't just 'borrow' my phone and play on it like you see some children as his ipod never left the house.

Whether we like it or not children will start to use technology earlier (they have ipads at schools in reception). I don't see the difference if they are using parents tablets or their own, its the time they are allowed to spend on them thats important not who they belong to.

slight aside but you can set it up so he can enter his own password but you just get a notification on your own phone to approve,
  • Hillwalker11
    Options
    As a retired teacher can I just say that over the last 4 years children entering Reception are very different to those who entered 10 years ago. As they use screen time everything is instant, so listening to a story where they have to use their own imagination to picture the stories is almost impossible. Books lose their allure, we had children trying to swipe across the page as this was all they knew. A lot is how these devices are used at home, but unfortunately a lot are abused. The parent picking the child up, on their phone, too busy texting to listen or sometimes even looking at their child. On a school trip parental phones had to be left at home because of constant use during the day.
    The social skills and speech patterns are dubbed down and take a long time to correct to age appropriate. Dining skills are virtually non existent as when out the children are given tablets at restaurant tables and mum and dad are on their phones.
    Obviously this is not every child that starts school, technology can be useful if used with the correct parental back up but so often it is not. A rounded education at home and at school should include a little bit of everything, including technology, but also including books, outdoor activities, baking, colouring and just having time to be. This last one is so overlooked, down time is just as important as all the other exciting things the world has to offer.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    As a retired teacher can I just say that over the last 4 years children entering Reception are very different to those who entered 10 years ago. As they use screen time everything is instant, so listening to a story where they have to use their own imagination to picture the stories is almost impossible. Books lose their allure, we had children trying to swipe across the page as this was all they knew. A lot is how these devices are used at home, but unfortunately a lot are abused. The parent picking the child up, on their phone, too busy texting to listen or sometimes even looking at their child. On a school trip parental phones had to be left at home because of constant use during the day.
    The social skills and speech patterns are dubbed down and take a long time to correct to age appropriate. Dining skills are virtually non existent as when out the children are given tablets at restaurant tables and mum and dad are on their phones.
    Obviously this is not every child that starts school, technology can be useful if used with the correct parental back up but so often it is not. A rounded education at home and at school should include a little bit of everything, including technology, but also including books, outdoor activities, baking, colouring and just having time to be. This last one is so overlooked, down time is just as important as all the other exciting things the world has to offer.

What a fantastic post.
    With love, POSR <3
  • fibonarchie
    Options
    we had children trying to swipe across the page as this was all they knew.

I have actually heard about toddlers trying to enlarge a biscuit by making that finger and thumb action that they evidently use on mummy's smartphone to make images bigger.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

I find most of that post very strange,

My children have quite a lot of screen time, more than probably they should but they haven't experiences any of the above

My children both love books and reading, my eldest is going into P2 in the top reading group, My youngest is starting nursery able to read some words, recognise her names and colours. Count past 20 and do some simple math.

My children have both learnt problem solving, nursery rhymes and songs from tablets, some of which I didn't even know, They also do have dining skills and we go out regularly, they also eat at the table at home with no tablets,

Its not the devices are the problem
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I agree with this - the parents who stick their kids in front of a phone or tablet without any other stimulation/interaction are the ones who used to use the television as a baby-sitter and the ones, pre TVs, who turned their kids out onto the streets in the morning and told them not to come home until dark and the ones who, in Victorian times, dosed the kids with Laudanum to keep them quiet and compliant.

Bad parenting has always existed - the way it's expressed just varies depending on the tools available.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have actually heard about toddlers trying to enlarge a biscuit by making that finger and thumb action that they evidently use on mummy's smartphone to make images bigger.

This is a child experimenting to see if a skill is transferable from one situation to another - they do it with everything they learn.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I find most of that post very strange,

My children have quite a lot of screen time, more than probably they should but they haven't experiences any of the above

My children both love books and reading, my eldest is going into P2 in the top reading group, My youngest is starting nursery able to read some words, recognise her names and colours. Count past 20 and do some simple math.

My children have both learnt problem solving, nursery rhymes and songs from tablets, some of which I didn't even know, They also do have dining skills and we go out regularly, they also eat at the table at home with no tablets,

Its almost as if you didn't read the last paragraph... A lot of what your children is doing is normal, counting is common as songs are prevalent, but a lot of it is rote counting without any realisation as to what 'one' or 'two' is, rather a rote 'onetwothreefourfive' I am not belittling anything but what your children appear to be doing is fairly expected.

Many parents use tablets as substitute parents. They put a programme on to put a child to bed, to keep them quiet in the car, to keep them quiet when a friend comes over etc. Children should not be learning anything from a tablet alone, it should be used to enhance learning. Alongside physical books, outdoor trips, being read to by parents, singing songs with human beings, tablets are fine, but when its the only stimulus a child has (and that is the case for many) its simply not good enough. No one is saying it will make children less advanced than their peers, but it will not do. Full stop...
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

This ^^

There have always been "devices" to help children learn. There always will be, the majority of parents don't sit their kids in front of a tablet/tv. As all children go to school it will never be the only stimulus a child has as far as education goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure