IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

smart parking no grace period?

Options
i need to appeal to POPLA within the next few days. 16mins over stay in 2hr free stay in retail park. reading grace periods in BPA code thought all would be well with my appeal but i see smart parking state 2 hour free stay is calculated from point of entry to exit and they state that on their t&c's in car park, although only one sign with t&c's all the other signs refer to that, any comments help advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 August 2018 at 6:45PM
    Options
    You need to make sure your 2 Grace Periods come to at least a total of 16 minutes between them both. So on entry, 'x' minutes wheeling around the car park searching for a suitable space (if you've a large vehicle emphasise the need to find one wide enough in a car park where they are at a premium), parking the vehicle, getting out of the vehicle, going to find a sign with the details (state what you say above about none of the signs but one had the full t&cs). Having read the sign and agreed its terms, decided to stay.

Then on leaving, 'y' minutes negotiate the vehicle out of the congested car park then queueing to eventually feed on to the main road to finally exit.

All above undertaken by 'the driver', no other descriptor (no I, me, myself or my partner or my son/daughter - just 'the driver').

'x'+'y' = 16 minutes (minimum). A minimum of 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after parking are provided by the BPA Code of Practice.

Check out exactly what the Code of Practice says about Grace Periods (section 13), because you will be quoting that to POPLA.

https://www.britishparking.co.uk/write/Documents/AOS/AOS_Code_of_Practice_January_2018.pdf
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • superfishh
    Options
    hi, thanks for your reply. in my initial appeal direct to smart parking i pretty much said (regrettably) i was the driver. I think its only right and for the reasons you advised me that a grace period should be applicable here but its the wording in smart parkings t&c's that maximum free stay (not parking) which is calculated from entrance to exit must be adhered to at all times. max stay time they call it not parking, so they have the upper hand with POPLA on this point?
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    How can you tell it's max stay without first reading the signs, so there's your first 10 minutes taken care of. You can't possibly know that as you drive past the ANPR camera.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• superfishh
    Options
    I have read some successful POPLA appeal's on grace periods where the assessor has commented on checking the signage t&c's when it stated parking time and upheld appeals for 16mins over but ive seen no examples of successful appeals when max stay time is calculated from point of entry to exit

i was eating at the restaurant there for the 1st time and wasnt aware of entering reg number to exempt me when i was ushered into the restaurant.
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT]
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    superfishh wrote: »
    i was eating at the restaurant there for the 1st time and wasnt aware of entering reg number to exempt me when i was ushered into the restaurant.
    Have you asked the restaurant to arrange for the ticket to be cancelled?

Remind them that as parking is so expensive if one makes a slight mistake, you'll be unlikely to eat there again as you cannot take that risk. Of course you have warned all your family and friends too.
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    superfishh wrote: »
    I have read some successful POPLA appeal's on grace periods where the assessor has commented on checking the signage t&c's when it stated parking time and upheld appeals for 16mins over but ive seen no examples of successful appeals when max stay time is calculated from point of entry to exit

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

so the available method of stating time of arrival was possibly 1/4 mile away from the car park?
  • superfishh
    Options
    yes i asked them they said they cannot help at all, the car park is also shared with Burger king.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    You seem to be finding too many reasons why this isn't going to work. If you can't believe in yourself to overcome the difficulties you are putting in your way, this is going to be an uphill struggle. I've given you everything I can on Grace Periods.

If you don't think it's going to work, you're going to have to find other aspects that Smart fall short on. They are one of the easier ones to beat a POPLA.

• superfishh
    Options
    i pretty much said i was the driver but reading my 1st appeal to smart parking I did not actually specify about the driver so i could now state i was not the driver to POPLA as I had alcohol on this occasion and the driver went shopping on the retail park and she returned after my family meal when i made the call?
  • superfishh
    Options
    also after struggling to park, and then not seeing the only one sign with the t&c's on which was facing a different outlet could i argue a contrat was not formed? thanks for any help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure