Charging for postage for return of goods not as described

purplethreads
purplethreads Posts: 252 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 July 2018 at 1:17PM in Consumer rights
This week I ordered online some skeins of thread (i.e. one long length of thread). Bags of cut lengths were supplied instead. The website clearly describes skeins and does not mention that they will substitute bags of cut lengths.

Their return policy means that I have to pay shipping to return them. Is this right?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you sure the returns policy doesn't relate to change of mind returns? Have you spoken to the retailer at all?

Would you mind providing a link to the T&C's so I can have a look over them and see?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • I am in contact with the owner. The only thing that has been mentioned is refund of the costs of the skeins upon return.

The website states that
    "Returns Policy

We comply with ecommerce and mail order legislation and, with prior agreement, goods may be returned at your expense. We advise sending returned goods via Signed For delivery as we cannot accept responsibility for goods lost in transit. They must be unopened and in a saleable condition and, if acceptable, will be refunded (excluding shipping charges) to the original card-holder's account. "

So I'm currently wondering if I should be pushing for a refund of my postage costs.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I did wonder if that was a change of mind returns policy, but having read the site [spinning jenny] it is all very amateurish.

Have you actually been in touch with them to explain the issue, explicitly saying the items are not what you ordered? Have you queried the returns postage?
  • One of the drawbacks of dealing with small businesses is that things can be rather amateurish.

I have been in touch and have received explanation as to why the cut threads were sent. The offer was to refund the threads only

I haven't replied yet as I was wondering if I should push on a refund of the postage.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    One of the drawbacks of dealing with small businesses is that things can be rather amateurish.

I have been in touch and have received explanation as to why the cut threads were sent. The offer was to refund the threads only

I haven't replied yet as I was wondering if I should push on a refund of the postage.

As the threads being cut wasn't part of the contract, they need to understand that they need to be refunding your original payment in FULL and the returns postage. That isn't a goodwill gesture, that is legislation.

Perhaps link them to this thread or the CCR.
  • unholyangel
    One of the drawbacks of dealing with small businesses is that things can be rather amateurish.

Unless you agreed to return rejected goods, your only obligation is to make them available for collection and take reasonable care of them. Even if you did agree to return rejected goods, the retailer is liable for the cost involved in doing so.

I have to say, the T&C's of this business very likely amount to a criminal offence under the CPRs. Their T&C's are a smidgen off delusional and are definitely not compliant with current consumer legislation and nor would it be complaint under the old legislation either.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • The retailer is surprised that I asked for return postage. Can somebody please point me towards exact piece of legislation I need to quote?
  • unholyangel
    The retailer is surprised that I asked for return postage. Can somebody please point me towards exact piece of legislation I need to quote?

Look at this legislation under section 20, paragraph (8):
    (8)Whether or not the consumer has a duty to return the rejected goods, the trader must bear any reasonable costs of returning them, other than any costs incurred by the consumer in returning the goods in person to the place where the consumer took physical possession of them.
  • Great. Thank you very much.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The retailer is surprised that I asked for return postage. Can somebody please point me towards exact piece of legislation I need to quote?

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online#returning-faulty-goods-bought-online

"Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item don't apply where the goods being returned are faulty [or not as described]."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure