Flight to JFK - Virgin or TC?

Options
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to New York next year with my daughter and currently looking at flights from Manchester to JFK with either Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook. I haven't flown long haul for about 25 years so my experience is somewhat out of date.

I'd prefer to have a cabin layout of 2-4-2, so I don't have a stranger virtually sat on my knee, which would mean having to fly premium economy with Virgin which is coming out at around £1,700 for the 2 of us.

On the other hand I can get premium economy with Thomas Cook for around £1,120 for 2.

TC land at JFK a couple of hours earlier than Virgin but the return flights arrive back in Manchester at broadly similar times.

Is it worth paying the extra to fly with Virgin or will Thomas Cook provide a comparable flight experience?

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    If I was in the same position I would go for the TC option all being equal and save the £600 for spending money etc. Do TC offer emergency exits or bulkhead with a small supplement, that way you get the extra leg room and pre book your seats together.

If you are happy paying the premium economy then you may feel the extra is worth paying.

Are the two options due to direct flights or would you consider indirect flights?
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    If I was in the same position I would go for the TC option all being equal and save the £600 for spending money etc. Do TC offer emergency exits or bulkhead with a small supplement, that way you get the extra leg room and pre book your seats together.

If you are happy paying the premium economy then you may feel the extra is worth paying.

Are the two options due to direct flights or would you consider indirect flights?

I think I'd prefer direct flights just because its quicker getting there and back.

Yes TC offer extra legroom seats for £35 ish. One option I'm considering is flying out in economy and booking extra legroom seats but flying home in premium as you get a bigger luggage allowance and as I'm going with a teenager I suspect I might need it! :D
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is purely my opinion - I would get the cheapest flight possible and the money I saved on those would get spent at Macy's and other NY stores!
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    This is purely my opinion - I would get the cheapest flight possible and the money I saved on those would get spent at Macy's and other NY stores!

Haha! I think that will be the teenager's response too :D.
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm currently looking to book for Feb next year.

I'm going Economy Delight with Virgin (extra leg room seats, and these seats are in 2's & priority check in and boarding). We were going to fly premium, but going economy delight instead and spending the difference going to a ice hockey game amongst other things!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you considered Newark rather than JFK?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • bleepandbooster
    Options
    Have you looked at Aer Lingus ? US immigration done and dusted in Dublin, Air train to Jamaica, then either Subway or LIRR to Madhatton.

Cofion
    David
  • michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We flew man to JFK in economy when they first started the flights. On the way out we booked the first row bulkhead seat and extra legroom seat on the aisle. It was great, I took the bulkhead, which does have a bit restricted legroom, but I just put my legs over the bulk and used it as a footrest.

I can't fault the flight or the service. Both ways were excellent. We flew home in normal seats, just the 2 together which was still OK.

We landed around 9am, but neither of us can sleep on planes, so we had a long drive back to Norfolk, slept under a tree in the services for an hour or so as it was red hot!

I cant comment on premium seats though.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One option I'm considering is flying out in economy and booking extra legroom seats but flying home in premium as you get a bigger luggage allowance and as I'm going with a teenager I suspect I might need it! :D

This is what we have just done to Vegas next year - extra legroom was £65 each - moving to PE was £73 so £8 more but going from 23kg luggage to 32kg

Don't forget shopping in Century 21 - not as cheap as it was but still some great bargains.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Have you considered Newark rather than JFK?

I haven't but will look into it, Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure