Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Options

Comments

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Regarding the diet Dusty, have you looked at the 5:2 diet - it has loads of health benefits and is nowhere near as scary as it sounds. I lost over 2 stone in 6 months and felt much better in myself - I have thyroid problems and autoimmune problems as well (have done for around 50 years!) There's a website with a forum, which is quite active and very helpful. May be worth a look anyway. Hope your flareup eases soon. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 31 July 2018 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Jul 20, 4:47pm tt2.png

Monthly Alphabet Challenge for August : The Clever, Challenging, Captivating C!

1bc97f2036ff12d636f44567167434b41716b42.jpg

C is the third letter of the basic Latin alphabet. Both C and the letter G derive from the same root, the letter gimel in the Semitic alphabet. It may be pronounced as soft c mimicking the s sound , as in cellar, circus or cycle or it may be pronounced as a hard c, mimicking the k sound, as in cake, candy or cut. Benjamin Franklin was not a fan of the letter's variable sound, and campaigned unsuccessfully to have it removed from the alphabet. In the phonetic alphabet, C is spoken as Charlie.

As a stand-alone letter, C can denote degrees Celsius, century, or a particular programming language developed by Bell Labs in the 1960s and 1970s.

For August

The Clever, Challenging, Captivating C!

1. Read a book where a word in the title starts with the letter C.: Jim Butcher - Brief Cases

2. Read a book where at least one of the author's initials is C: Richmal Compton - Just William

3. Read a book with something starting with the letter C shown on the cover: Fred Hoyle - The Black Cloud
    ( a cloud from space covering the earth)
  • dustydigger
    edited 31 July 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    NST - Achievable August

Welcome to August!!!8217;s NST challenge.

The flowers for August are the Gladioli and the Poppy which represents beauty, strength, love, marriage and family.

So for August we are going to pick one of the above to work on if you feel you have let your skincare routine go, or you have been saying yes too often to things or maybe you need to start loving yourself (or others) then that will be your focus this month.

Rules:

Aim for 15 NSDs this month. If you think you can do more that is fantastic
    Medical spends, fuel or days when the only purchase is reduced items do not count as spends.

Update (Budgets) ; instead of just setting budgets for the month I want you all to look at any direct debits/standing orders/continuous payment authorities and check to see if you still need or use them. If you dont get cancelling.
    Also make sure you pay to debts first this month and also put some in savings.

Get (prepared for Xmas); Xmas is only 5 months away so that is either 4 or 5 pay days for monthly paid people. Have you written your list of who needs a present? If you have can you cull some from the list? A lot of people buy over Xmas for others as it is what has always been done but are too frightened to speak up !; well Turtles are not frightened of suggesting things!! Maybe a family Secret Santa would help save money. Once you have your list down to the minimum then you need to start thinking of ideas and then start looking for those things in the sale or even better for free.

Utilise (free activities in your area) - I would like everyone to find out about free activities for kids or adults in their area and attend one of these; obviously if its not until later in the year thats fine, book now if you need to or if not get it in the diary and maybe rope some friends in as well.

Share (money saving tips) ; I would like people to post once a week with a moneysaving tip, you may have been doing it for years and think everyone knows about it but I guarantee not everyone will know about it so get sharing.

Treat (yourself); I would like everyone to budget £3 for a luxury item, I want everyone to treat themselves this month. Maybe it's a favourite chocolate bar that you haven't brought in ages, maybe it's a nice soap/shower gel but is too expensive to buy for day to day use.
    If your only spend on the day you buy this item is that item then you can count it as a NSD.

The challenge will run from 1st August 00:01 until 31st August 00:00.
    New Month for the Ninja Saving Turtles challenge. I dont do it formally but always find things to ponder of be mindful over,so I like to insert it here.
    Oh-oh,Xmas is coming!!!!!!!
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thank you :)
    What is the app you use?
    It sounds great.
    Hi,the app I'm using is called Curable,you can try it free but if you want to use the full programme you have to pay,I just say I have found the info on the free trial has been eye opening and listening to that has helped me a lot,I also bought the book that their ideas are based on by Dr John Sarno caled The Mind Body Prescription Healing The Mind Healing The Pain and itscreally helped,I'm seriously considering paying for the app, you can pay monthly which is a bit more pricey or you can do a whole year which works out cheaper in the long run,the downside to that is you have to pay it in one lump sum and you can't cancel it and get your money back but if you pay as you go you can cancel at any time so I'm going to pay for a month and see how I get on,if I don't think it's helping I can just cancel it
    They also have a podcast called Like Mind Like Body and I've found that really helpful too,I found another podcast today called Pain Reframed which they recommend,I haven't listened to it yet so I don't know how good it is
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Never got back on here after all last night.Instead of reading one of the diaries I decided to check up on a Pinterest hypothyroidism article - fatal mistake,one pin lead to another and I spent over an hour perusing old glamour pics of the Hollywood stars.:) Wonderful pins on things like Grace Kelly's most beautiful dresses,or the major fashion accessories of the 1940s stars.I love those old photos.I come from the time when we went to the local flicks 3 or 4 times a week - we had no TV then. We would knock on neighbours' doors and beg for their old glass pop bottles to take back to the corner shop, a penny a time (old pennies of course,this was around 1956,240 pence to the pound.)6p got you a smashing 2 hours of entertainment away from the gloom dullness and angst of a world overshadowed with fears of the Bomb):D They changed the films regularly on Monday and Thursday,and also one on Sunday. Our little town of 25,000 people had four picture houses,so you could see a different programme every day,and also the kids' matinees at 3 of them every Saturday morning.No wonder once TVs became ubiquitous and our generation became TV addicts the cinemas shut down. They all became bingo halls in the 60s Our ''local'' cinema was only 10 minutes walk away.My dad would take me on a Wednesday night if he wasnt at work,and my mother sometimes would take me as a treat to the somewhat posh Princess theatre on Saturdays. It had lovely golden coloured velour seats,very swish! I have many happy memories of those days.:)
    By time I surfaced it was time to make supper,and Mr Dusty was around so end of peace and quiet

Two of my fave stars from that time? Couldnt be more different yet both were impossibly glamorous - Sophia Loren and Audrey Hepburn. My sister,12 years older than me dragged me to see films full of ladies in fancy dresses,like Doris Day. I preferred westerns and silent comedies,still hugely popular in the late fifties.She adored the ''women's films'',the ''weepies'' so I saw an awful lot of Susan Hayward,Bette Davis,Ava Gardner and the like. I'm sure thats why I dont want to watch miserable films of later times....and goes for books too,I want upbeat reads if possible. I'm with Jane Austen,when she wrote in Mansfield Park ''let other pens dwell on guilt and misery,I quit such odious subjects as soon as possible.''YAY Jane!''

I remember my sister dragging me to see The Robe with Jean Simmons and the young Richard Burton (pre Liz Taylor and alcohol days),and crying my eyes out each time when Richard went off to martyrdom. I have never watched that film since!:rotfl::rotfl:
    My sister would come out beaming after a weepie,red eyes and all.The highest accolade was a ''three hanky film''

Oh dear,what has all this to do with frugal living. Not a thing!Sorry.But I suppose I could get away with classing browsing through Pinterest as a ''hobby''.:D I mostly have boards on art,I love to soothe myself with looking at some of the beautiful paintings pins I have collected.Any Pinterest fans here? What kind of pins do you collect or look at?
    If you like beautiful paintings check out my page - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/dustydigger48/

I love Pinterest and have several boards of ideas,I use it for craft,gardening and recipe ideas,the only problem I have is that once I go in there I am gone for hours looking at stuff and then run out of time to actually try any of it out :rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Your doctor is talking rubbish and needs to read up on underactive thyroid symptoms.
    .I know,I was quite taken aback really,I thought weight gain was a very common side effect of thyroidism.This was yet another new doc so he knows nothing about me. He was trying to push the Eatwell plate on me not for weightloss,just as a eating plan. I gently pointed out that my diabetes is in remission at the moment because of cutting down a lot on starchy carbs ,not increasing them to nearly 40% of my intake.plus I already get some carbs from all the veggies I eat.I can feel the hypos coming on already just at the thought of it.Wasnt too taken with the small amount of protein on the plate either,And unbelievably it had a 10% section marked off for ''foods and drinks high in fat and/or sugar.'' I can see why the Eatwell plate is anathema to the LCHF advocates,its enough to give them apoplexy:rotfl:
    All in all not a productive visit!:(
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Chrystal wrote: »
    Regarding the diet Dusty, have you looked at the 5:2 diet - it has loads of health benefits and is nowhere near as scary as it sounds. I lost over 2 stone in 6 months and felt much better in myself - I have thyroid problems and autoimmune problems as well (have done for around 50 years!) There's a website with a forum, which is quite active and very helpful. May be worth a look anyway. Hope your flareup eases soon. X

I am sticking to 16/8 for the moment its easy just to skip breakfast.First day yeserday I felt a little woozy and had to discipline myself when making Mr Ds breakfast. He had omelette packed with onions and fried in butter,which he enjoys eating in a sandwich! Absolutely delicious and a major temptation to me. If I am on IF I know I need to discipline myself. There was some left over,and lately I have been scarfing it up probably no more than 50 calories but it surely mounts up over time!:D
    As for 5:2,the temptation to eat far too much is huge,especially since I am making meals with rich sauces etc for Mr Dusty.:eek:
    My favourite old Green Days regime on SW in the past where you were told to eat as much as you like of the permitted food made the plan very enjoyable,but really encouraged bad eating habits,because all those carbs ended up increasing insulin problems,and I ended up with diabetes:(
    Doing IF,cutting out processed and fried food,and having less snacks worked well for me last year. In 9 months I lost 4 stone!
    Sadly all the stress and illhealth this year,and probably (despite what my doc say)the underactive thyroid led to weight gain this year,12lbs in the last few months. :eek::eek:
    Got to nip it in the bud!

If only my stress levels could go down,it would be easier. I must be producing enough cortisol stress hormone for five people!:rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Ouch,my feet neuropathy is playing up badlyI didnt get to the family history group yesterday.The night before I couldnt sleep at all for the pain,so yesterday I kept dozing offMr Ds supper was late because I dozed off for half an hour at around 8.20.He was not amused.:D:D
    Much better this morning,just as well as I need to go to Ald!for my yoghurtsand the ubiquitous peanut butter,then the butcher for lamb steaks and sausages for Mr Dusty,and lean steak mince for me. Also to Her*ns for some frozen veg till I do my big online shop for Monday.
    I have been going weekly to Icel@nd to do that shopping to earn a £5 bonus,calling in the Asd@ next door too.and I am really feeling the strain,very tempted by all those cakes and sweetsetc. There are very few aisles in a supermarket that you can walk down with impunity:rotfl:. treminded me of the reason why I do almost all my shop online,to avoid those lures! :D
  • dustydigger
    Options
    I love Pinterest and have several boards of ideas,I use it for craft,gardening and recipe ideas,the only problem I have is that once I go in there I am gone for hours looking at stuff and then run out of time to actually try any of it out :rotfl:

I am like that too,OBL,its a serious chronovore. :rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I am like that too,OBL,its a serious chronovore. :rotfl:
    :rotfl: had to look up what a chronovore was,I've never heard of that before but it's true :rotfl:
    Sorry to hear you feet have been playing up,imuse a gel called Pernaton Gel on mine when they are particularly painful and it helps to sooth them,it's for painful joints really but I use it for muscle aches and pains too,it contain extra top greenlipped mussle and it recommended for use in conditions that caus painful joints,I has a cooling menthol effect so quite nice if my feet are burning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure