Notification of Energy Company Switch Without Instruction

richx_uk
richx_uk Posts: 9 Forumite
Hi,

My energy company, Iresa, recently sent me an email telling me that they had received notification of me switching to another energy company. However, I did not instruct this. I tried to call them but was put in a long queue and they have not responded to my email.

I have now received confirmation that they have received my final meter reading (which I did not supply).

I have not received any notification from another energy company with whom I could also try to correct this error.

If I do nothing, am I likely to have my energy supply cut off?

Regards,

richx_uk

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    It is termed an 'erroneous transfer' and happens quite a lot.

Often it is the gaining(new) supplier making a mistake. It can be 'fraud' by an agent trying to earn commission.

Was the final meter reading roughly correct?

Tell Iresa to cancel the switch!
  • soaround
    soaround Posts: 12 Forumite
    This has happened to me recently and it has totally messed up my account with Tonik Energy even though the move to Eon which I hadn't requested was cancelled.

My online Tonik account is now completely empty apart from (of course) Direct Debit details, no meter points, no tariff info, no meter readings or any way to input them.

Total nightmare. All Eon would tell me was that it was "a neighbour" who had used my address instead of their own.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Citizens Advice is your friend:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/

Many posters would see an ET away from Iresa as something of a blessing in disguise.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    soaround wrote: »
    This has happened to me recently and it has totally messed up my account with Tonik Energy even though the move to Eon which I hadn't requested was cancelled.

My online Tonik account is now completely empty apart from (of course) Direct Debit details, no meter points, no tariff info, no meter readings or any way to input them.

Total nightmare. All Eon would tell me was that it was "a neighbour" who had used my address instead of their own.

Hello soaround and welcome to the Forums.

As Cardew says, transfers to or from a company without a customer's knowledge or agreement (Erroneous Transfers) do happen. Applying for the wrong address, particularly where addresses are similar, is a common reason behind them.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This allowed us to contact Tonik and ask them to retake the supply. There's an industry agreed process where the supplier wrongly taking the account will send it back as soon as the mistake is confirmed. Looks like we've done this. Also, any bills or charges created by us will be cancelled.

Glad we were able to sort our end out soaround.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sadly there is very little anyone can do if someone making a switch selects the wrong address from the drop down. Fortunately it's usually spotted early enough (by the customer!) and everything can be cancelled.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • soaround
    Hello soaround and welcome to the Forums.

As Cardew says, transfers to or from a company without a customer's knowledge or agreement (Erroneous Transfers) do happen. Applying for the wrong address, particularly where addresses are similar, is a common reason behind them.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This allowed us to contact Tonik and ask them to retake the supply. There's an industry agreed process where the supplier wrongly taking the account will send it back as soon as the mistake is confirmed. Looks like we've done this. Also, any bills or charges created by us will be cancelled.

Glad we were able to sort our end out soaround.

Malc

I'm totally unable to understand this post. Is the Eon poster patting himself on the back for helping me out?

As it turns out Eon didn't stop the transfer and kindly (not) took control of the gas which is what has totally messed my account up.

So thanks for nothing Eon. I contacted you and Tonik as soon as I got notification from Tonik that they thought I was moving and you assured me in writing that the move had been stopped - which obviously it hadn't, so I feel that patting yourself on the back when you continued with a move I had told you I hadn't requested and didn't want, is no reason to post self-congratulatory messages on this board.

I wonder what part of "I did not request this move." you didin't understand.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I'm totally unable to understand this post. Is the Eon poster patting himself on the back for helping me out?

As it turns out Eon didn't stop the transfer and kindly (not) took control of the gas which is what has totally messed my account up.

So thanks for nothing Eon. I contacted you and Tonik as soon as I got notification from Tonik that they thought I was moving and you assured me in writing that the move had been stopped - which obviously it hadn't, so I feel that patting yourself on the back when you continued with a move I had told you I hadn't requested and didn't want, is no reason to post self-congratulatory messages on this board.

I wonder what part of "I did not request this move." you didin't understand.

Sorry soaround. I misunderstood your original post. I thought the unrequested switch had been cancelled and you were back with Tonik. I didn't realise it had continued and is still in the process of going back.

I wanted to thank you for bringing this to our attention and sorry again I misunderstood.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • isleofdogs
    isleofdogs Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This same problem has happened to me as well - problem still not resolved since mid-June. I am with EDF and out of the blue I got an email saying they were sorry I left them to another electricity supplier. I phoned and emailed them - they said erroneous switch, neighbour put in mine address instead of theirs, they needed time to get my account back etc. They sent me a final bill with estimated meter reading (even though they installed a smart meter in the rental flat) - way overestimated and also slapped me with a termination fee :( Many emails have passed between me and them. Now the matter is with their complaints department. I told them I would not pay the incorrect bill. I have given them 4 actual / factual meter readings - yet they still gave me bills with estimated reading! Am not happy at all, and may have no choice but go to a toothless ombudsman. They said estimated final meter reading came from a central government database !!!8230;
    Just want to add that I have never initiated the switch nor contacted any energy supplier for a switch nor heard of the new energy supplier.
  • soaround
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:31AM
    Sorry soaround. I misunderstood your original post. I thought the unrequested switch had been cancelled and you were back with Tonik. I didn't realise it had continued and is still in the process of going back.

I wanted to thank you for bringing this to our attention and sorry again I misunderstood.

Malc

I now seem to have my account back with Tonik Energy - but I am still annoyed that I told Eon that I had not requested this and they assured me it had been cancelled and then they just carried on with taking the half my energy supply anyway. It totally messed up my Tonik online account and caused loads of stress. I'm just lucky Tonik doesn't have exit fees.

I think there should be some safeguard here that someone new cannot take over a supply until they have received a confirmation via something they sent to the address through the post. Anyone could swop anyone's address apparently the way the system stands now. It's a total nonsense and open to all sorts of abuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure