Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Sam M
    • By Former MSE Sam M 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 159Thanks
    Former MSE Sam M
    Marriage Allowance
    • 2nd Jun 15, 4:39 PM
    Marriage Allowance 2nd Jun 15 at 4:39 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks ,
Page 2
    • LindaAnne
    • By LindaAnne 11th Jun 15, 6:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LindaAnne
    Ugov Verify doesn't work
    I cannot find the link on the Ugov site to Verify me before I can continue with the marriage allowance application.
    Where is it?

Fabulous details about what it is and how it works but where where is the link to use It????

!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;!!!128561;
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jun 15, 6:41 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    sheramber
    you can only register on the GOV.UK site.

In due course HMRC will contact you to proceed with the verification. You need to wait for theat email.

To register click on the link ( the word 'register') in this line on the above guide

OK, so how do we actually do this in practice? To take advantage of the scheme you need to first register.
    • sghughes42
    • By sghughes42 12th Jun 15, 9:44 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    sghughes42
    Daft question, is this only open to UK nationals, or anyone who has an NI number? The article suggests the person transferring allowance will need ID including a UK passport or driving license. SWMBO only holds a Taiwanese passport at the moment - does this mean she isn't eligible to transfer, or will we need to go through one of the other means of verifying ID?
    • mumf
    • By mumf 13th Jun 15, 5:09 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    mumf
    In typical GVT fashion, when asking for your identity, there does not seem to be any mention having to produce an ACTUAL marriage certificate!
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 13th Jun 15, 5:37 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    In typical GVT fashion, when asking for your identity, there does not seem to be any mention having to produce an ACTUAL marriage certificate!
    Originally posted by mumf
    Did you ever see 1984?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
    • wackijacki
    • By wackijacki 14th Jun 15, 8:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wackijacki
    If my husband is subject to an IPO will/can this extra allowance be taken as personal rather than joint extra income?

Thank you
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 15th Jun 15, 7:35 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    If my husband is subject to an IPO will/can this extra allowance be taken as personal rather than joint extra income?

Thank you
    Originally posted by wackijacki
    The marriage allowance is available to those on basic rate tax.
    If you have an extra allowance it will be in your code number and increase the level at which you start to pay tax. If it is money coming in it is income, if it is txable it will be included if it is not tax able then it won't.
    • claire1977
    • By claire1977 16th Jun 15, 2:22 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    claire1977
    Hi everyone does anyone know if I can transfer my amount to my Hubby as he is self employed ?
    Thanks
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 16th Jun 15, 3:23 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Hi everyone does anyone know if I can transfer my amount to my Hubby as he is self employed ?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by claire1977
    Subject to all the provisos there is no reason why you should not
    • awindup
    • By awindup 17th Jun 15, 4:56 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    awindup
    Seperated but still technically married?
    if you are friendly with your ex but, as are my wife and I, are still married is it possible to use your allowance to allow your ex patent the smoothly to use the extra cash for the benefit of our son's wellbeing? He lives in between two houses and we have a cordial yet definitely separate relationship ! there is no chance of us getting back together however there is little chance that we will divorce at this current time D2 the expense and lack of need. I suffer with quite severe health problems and the cost of the divorce + making a will are prohibitive for me. although she has a great job it is only fair can I contribute where and when I can and as I am Now unable to work completely and on benefits I do not pay any tax. what are the rules regardless of being separated and are they different if I do not have a job and therefore although I'm a taxpayer if I get any interest on bank accounts etc does the fact that I don't have an earned income make a difference?
  • grampus
    Filled in all the forms my wife and I signed form, letter back from tax office, told need to be born before 1935 to transfer part of MA
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 17th Jun 15, 9:19 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Filled in all the forms my wife and I signed form, letter back from tax office, told need to be born before 1935 to transfer part of MA
    Originally posted by grampus
    It's after 5/4/1935. If either of you were born before this date you have always been entitled to Married Couple's Allowance.
    • I-W
    • By I-W 17th Jun 15, 10:04 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    I-W
    What do you do if both are PAYE but won't know for certain if eligible until the end of the tax year? Will we be able to retrospective claim next tax year?

In our case this is due to OH being between jobs at moment (currently well below 10600) and myself being on cusp of higher rate tax (depending on overtime). Sure many people must be in position of being unsure if eligible.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 17th Jun 15, 10:12 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    if you are friendly with your ex but, as are my wife and I, are still married is it possible to use your allowance to allow your ex patent the smoothly to use the extra cash for the benefit of our son's wellbeing? He lives in between two houses and we have a cordial yet definitely separate relationship ! there is no chance of us getting back together however there is little chance that we will divorce at this current time D2 the expense and lack of need. I suffer with quite severe health problems and the cost of the divorce + making a will are prohibitive for me. although she has a great job it is only fair can I contribute where and when I can and as I am Now unable to work completely and on benefits I do not pay any tax. what are the rules regardless of being separated and are they different if I do not have a job and therefore although I'm a taxpayer if I get any interest on bank accounts etc does the fact that I don't have an earned income make a difference?
    Originally posted by awindup
    AFAIK the legislation does not preclude this
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 17th Jun 15, 10:14 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    What do you do if both are PAYE but won't know for certain if eligible until the end of the tax year? Will we be able to retrospective claim next tax year?

In our case this is due to OH being between jobs at moment (currently well below 10600) and myself being on cusp of higher rate tax (depending on overtime). Sure many people must be in position of being unsure if eligible.
    Originally posted by I-W
    You have always been able to settle your affairs after the end of the year, in fact, everyone who submits a tax return does.
    • ThelmaLouise
    • By ThelmaLouise 17th Jun 15, 11:57 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ThelmaLouise
    Husband spent the morning (not joking) trying to get Post office to verify him (no luck) then Experian (Horaay it worked) to agree who he was!!!! Then was transferred back to the Gov site for the simple task of entering NI numbers and my name so I could have some of his tax allowance. Guess what HMRC doesn't know who I am now - been paying tax for over 40 years, wonder where that's been going! What do we do next it just says that he should check my details again! Any ideas please.
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 17th Jun 15, 12:20 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    Husband spent the morning (not joking) trying to get Post office to verify him (no luck) then Experian (Horaay it worked) to agree who he was!!!! Then was transferred back to the Gov site for the simple task of entering NI numbers and my name so I could have some of his tax allowance. Guess what HMRC doesn't know who I am now - been paying tax for over 40 years, wonder where that's been going! What do we do next it just says that he should check my details again! Any ideas please.
    Originally posted by ThelmaLouise
    Your 2014/15 P60 should have all the details necessary.
    Name, tax reference NI number
    • ThelmaLouise
    • By ThelmaLouise 17th Jun 15, 12:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    ThelmaLouise
    Its only asking for my name and NI number which I took from tax forms but it says it doesn't recognise them! Which number should I ring, any ideas please?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 17th Jun 15, 12:52 PM
    • 4,674 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    sheramber
    MA is married couples allowance which is for those born before 6 AprilL 1935.

Marriage Allownce is available to those born after that date who meet the eligibility requirements.

You need to register online to apply for this

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 17th Jun 15, 1:19 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    MA is married couples allowance which is for those born before 6 AprilL 1935.

Marriage Allownce is available to those born after that date who meet the eligibility requirements.

You need to register online to apply for this

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
    Originally posted by sheramber
    It is usually abbreviated to MCA and applies where either spouse was born before 6/04/1935.
    Marriage Allowance is usually abbreviated to MA
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

3,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin