PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

unbelievable ! Fire risk / hazard

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A quick google says communal stairs are included, which surely makes sense as smoke would permeate into other communal areas, such as hallways and landings.

But I'm still not sure that photo is of somewhere in the uk.
  • To me - it also looks like time to talk to the local Council.

I don't like the look of it either - and one has to acknowledge the "Irresponsibles" arent going to change their ways (ie those characters throwing the fag buts down there). Thus - the flooring needs changing to cope with the Irresponsibles.

- and...yep...I admit to being curious why non-British characters are showing up on that photo....
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To me - it also looks like time to talk to the local Council.

I don't like the look of it either - and one has to acknowledge the "Irresponsibles" arent going to change their ways (ie those characters throwing the fag buts down there). Thus - the flooring needs changing to cope with the Irresponsibles.

- and...yep...I admit to being curious why non-British characters are showing up on that photo....

The 'flooring' is likely to be plasterboard for the ceiling below, hence it hasn't already caught fire.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite

I'd also point out that the OP isn't an English speaker and hasn't provided more enlightening photographs to give us more context,
  • I doubt the managing agents smoked those cigarettes ?

Have some responsibility and clean up after yourself.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    I'm just chuckling at the thought of ciggy butts setting fire to floor joists, without some other kindling in place.

Yes, ciggy butts have caused substantial fires - such as King's Cross - but only through the presence of other materials which have caught light very easily. Greasy fluff, in King's Cross. That doesn't appear to be present here. You could light those ciggy packets and lob 'em down, and nothing much would happen.

Perhaps the management company should increase the service charge substantially, to pay for more frequent cleaning of the communal areas, if the residents cannot be bothered to clean up after themselves?
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Doozergirl is most likely correct - looks like a ceiling for the place below, given that the cables are lying on top of joists and one of them seems to be feeding something below, probably a light fitting with a cable jointed - joint covered with gaffer tape - and going off to a switch somewhere.

If this really is a fire exit and it's somewhere in England then get the local fire brigade out to check it over - someone escaping a fire runs a serious risk of either falling through into the flat below or possible electrocution if the cables melt.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Greasy fluff
    Depends on whether the person carries on using cotton buds and disposing of them in that area though!

Perfect place for carrying out a pedicure too, I see.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    interesting watermark on the photo...
    Indeed. Can anyone try a google picture/reverse search seeing as the OP has ignored MANY mentions of this now and not mentioned whether it is even in the UK? Looks like a pic off an images website and I'm wondering whether it's one of those emails we all see on FB going "I was at my friend's at the weekend and saw this first hand, blah blah" so you're meant to think it's the person sharing who's saying it, but it's usually just some circular thing.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Indeed. Can anyone try a google picture/reverse search seeing as the OP has ignored MANY mentions of this now and not mentioned whether it is even in the UK? Looks like a pic off an images website
    The URL for the image is https://upload1.appleuc.com/forum/month_0619/0619607867e398a61e54.jpg

appleuc.com comes back to powerapple.com, as per the watermark. All in Chinese. But putting that into Google translate, it seems to be a Chinese ex-pat-in-UK community site, or possibly just some kind of screen-scrape news aggregator portal.

However, the only place that google finds the image used is this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure