Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The plumbers have redeemed themselves ;) They came at 5.30pm and stayed until the job was done. And it's likely that the cost will come in lower than the original quote :T I could see that the original job was a reasonable approach to try to fix the problem, just not executed as well as it could have been. Anyway, the toilet will be ready for use tomorrow morning so, as long as it works, I'll be happy.

The jeans arrived today. They are surprisingly comfortable and reasonably flattering but very long. I've re-ordered them in a short length to see if that's any better although sometimes a shorter length changes the rest of the fit.

Today I've concentrated on paperwork. No one in The Shire seems to want my money :rotfl: The direct debits I arranged with the Council and electricity and water companies haven't been requested. Manual payments have now been made for August and hopefully all will be resolved from September onwards.

Tomorrow I will start sorting the house out for the our next guests. They're like buses at the moment :rotfl:

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Please tell us which jeans.Please.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Glad the workmen arrived - fingers crossed all is ok in the morning :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Glad your perseverance with the plumbers paid off Fortune, and I agree with greent, hope all is well and dry from hereonin.

I must say, talking about perseverance, I am impressed with all you girls and your search for the perfect pair of jeans. I gave up wearing jeans yonks ago, when m&$ changed their suppliers, one time, and all jeans took on a 'jodphur' look on me :o I've stuck to walking trousers ever since, which invariably make me look unglamourous at all times, but at least I'm comfortable in me unglamourous-ness :rotfl:

Have a great day, all :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Please tell us which jeans.Please.

These ones Beanie http://www.marksandspencer.com/slim-boot-cut-jeans/p/p22492540?image=SD_01_T57_6215U_XB_X_EC_90&color=INDIGO&prevPage=srp. But I notice that some of the reviews say they stretch a lot when worn so I'm not sure I'd recommend them just yet. I am an 'apple' and quite short so a boot leg is the most flattering style for me and I can't go too low on the waist height. They have another jean in a boot leg which is much cheaper but the reviews weren't as good and the waist height looked lower.
    greent wrote: »
    Glad the workmen arrived - fingers crossed all is ok in the morning :)
    x

I dreamt that I came downstairs to a flood this morning but, thankfully, it was just a dream :rotfl:
    Glad your perseverance with the plumbers paid off Fortune, and I agree with greent, hope all is well and dry from hereonin.

I must say, talking about perseverance, I am impressed with all you girls and your search for the perfect pair of jeans. I gave up wearing jeans yonks ago, when m&$ changed their suppliers, one time, and all jeans took on a 'jodphur' look on me :o I've stuck to walking trousers ever since, which invariably make me look unglamourous at all times, but at least I'm comfortable in me unglamourous-ness :rotfl:

Have a great day, all :D

Greying X

I've thought about giving up jeans too Greying but I struggle to get a good fit with all types of trousers. I have a couple of pairs of harem trousers which are super comfy and I wear around the house when cleaning. However, I do look like I'm still wearing my pyjamas and Mr F can't resist singing 'Can't touch this' every time I get up to make a cup of tea :rotfl:

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • It seems I have another guest arriving in addition to the other two sets due imminently :eek:

My Kentish DC messaged me today to say she would be arriving tomorrow :eek: She did check it was convenient and I am delighted she's coming :D Just need to work out who gets which bed so I can juggle sheet changing between visitors.

So I've spent the day tidying and washing sheets in preparation. At least we've had a day of sunshine here so I've been able to get stuff dry outside.

The downstairs loo seems to have held up so we now have a fully functioning house at least :T

I'm currently experiencing the epic fail which is $cotti$h P0w£r's customer service. It is far too dull a story to bore you with here. Suffice to say I will be moving to a new supplier after just one month with them - if I can transfer the one.. or possibly two... accounts I have... or perhaps don't have... with them. Let me know if you find it - my will to live :rotfl:

Fortune x
  • Fortune, they are my jeans too. Love them.

I used to be a next jean girl but they changed all their leg lengths to various degrees of giant, which I am not!
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • I have a couple of pairs of harem trousers which are super comfy and I wear around the house when cleaning. However, I do look like I'm still wearing my pyjamas and Mr F can't resist singing 'Can't touch this' every time I get up to make a cup of tea :rotfl:

Fortune x

I'm a wumman of a certain age Fortune. Mr F has supplied today's earworm............. :rotfl:

Have a great time with your visitors :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Fortune, they are my jeans too. Love them.

I used to be a next jean girl but they changed all their leg lengths to various degrees of giant, which I am not!

We obviously have great taste Wish :)
    I'm a wumman of a certain age Fortune. Mr F has supplied today's earworm............. :rotfl:

Have a great time with your visitors :D

Greying X

Thanks Greying - I like this visitor a lot so it was a lovely surprise to see her.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 August 2017 at 8:39AM
    DC is still snoozing. I've encouraged her to sleep in as she is obviously exhausted and run down. It's the end of her work season and I can tell she needs a break.

She got here a little later than expected because of delays on the motorway. But that meant I could get all my chores done beforehand.

We had Fettuccine with Beans & Pancetta for supper. Although I used Fusilli as that's what I had in. The beans were from the garden :cool: Followed by Banoffee Mess as my bananas are sulking. The wine was a bottle that last weekend's guests bought with them and we didn't get to open so no additional costs :) It's been lovely to have some company and a good catch up.

Today DC is travelling over the border to see more family members but coming back to spend the evening with me again :T She bought a little hamper of fruit and veg with her so I shall investigate what I can make for supper with that.

I have a couple of things I want to achieve today. I particularly need to have a look at the budget as Mr F has been given a new tax code to pay back the refund he was given in error. It's a big hit each month :eek: I know we've had the money but it's like taking out a loan and being faced with big debt repayments :( I could just pay it back in one lump but, given HMRC's previous history, that would be tempting fate :rotfl:

I also need to do some more research on our dishwasher. It gave up the ghost yesterday. From what I've read so far it looks as though it is beyond saving but I'll get Mr F to take a look at it when he gets back just in case. If it's not a broken toilet...

I can hear movement upstairs so I'd better get breakfast on.

Have a great weekend guys.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback