My financial situation - where can I cut back?

13»

Comments

• OK, I'm getting into fully fledged Mother Hen mode now!   ;)

I agree it makes sense to spend a wee bit more on a good moisturiser when you find one that suits you, and you can make it last.  The same sometimes goes for deodorant.

But just how cheap are the shower gel and shampoo you're buying?  What is "cheap" to you, and how much are you getting for your money?  Because you can probably find something similar, and just as good, a lot cheaper than Luch prices (even their "cheap" stuff!)  Every penny helps!   ;D

I'm another Mother Hen cluck, cluck ;) In fact, I am turning into my Mother!!! :o

And I shall recall something she repeated to me, ad nauseum, that I have now started to say ....

Think about it ... it only gets flushed down the drain .... how much do you want to flush down the drain ... same applies for household cleaning.

Don't buy the hype! :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)

• Think about it ... it only gets flushed down the drain .... how much do you want to flush down the drain ... same applies for household cleaning.

Don't buy the hype!  :)

Ooh, that's a good one - I like it! ;D
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

No, I've tried booking up to six months in advance and there is never-ever-ever a discount fare. Makes me mad. I've asked about railcards but we're too old for student ones, too young for retired and too broke to have kids :( Newcastle-Warrington is £50 on the train (and it's a bloomin' awful service to add insult to injury, no direct trains after 5.17pm which is before hubby even finishes work!), coach much cheaper but takes 7 hours and when you're only going for a weekend makes it not worth it, and there are no cheap flights between :(

Are you sure?! Someone on my floor at uni lives in Warrington, and it's about £15 return WITHOUT a railcard. We're in York which is a bit shorter, but not that much!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• cheeky
    cheeky Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    [*]dyson insurance £6.00 - this is the only one I'm not sure whether we need or not.  We bought a Dyson in April with wedding money and I've heard they break down a lot - is this worthwhile?  Although I may not be able to get out of it without paying for the whole year - will have to check the t&cs.
    [/list]
    Agree with the others - dont bother with this! Ours is 4 or 5 years old, the gf has chucked it down the stairs at least once! Its cracked, makes funny noises but give it a whack and it never gives up! ;D You can pick up bits on ebay for 5 quid and fix it yourself if it breaks a belt etc

Have to tried Orange year text package on PAYG - pay 20 quid upfront and you get 5 texts a day for a year! Works out at 1p a text - my gf and i have gone from £25pm each to about £5 each

Good luck :)
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post

Are you sure?! Someone on my floor at uni lives in Warrington, and it's about £15 return WITHOUT a railcard. We're in York which is a bit shorter, but not that much!
    Honestly, believe me, I've checked. And I used to live in York and never got the train fare for that cheap - that must be a 'not on Friday' fare, and I normally have to travel on Fridays.

Just did a search now on Newcastle-Warrington on a Thursday and you can do it for £40, but I normally have to travel on a Friday, so no good for me :/
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    But just how cheap are the shower gel and shampoo you're buying?  What is "cheap" to you, and how much are you getting for your money?  Because you can probably find something similar, and just as good, a lot cheaper than Luch prices (even their "cheap" stuff!)  Every penny helps!   ;D
    But... if i'm being honest, with Lush I'm willing to pay slightly more than I might otherwise because I like their ethics on things like organic produce - and I've seen articles written by papers that back up the things they claim :) Just found it here in fact - if the Times says so it MUST be true!!!! ;) (and my dad would kill me if he caught me saying that!!)

The shower gel costs £2.00 for 100ml but it lasts me ages, and the shampoo costs £2.85 for 100ml and again lasts me ages. Hell if I got the bigger bottles I reckon I'd only have to buy one a year :)

I feel like most of this conversation I'm just saying 'but MUUUUUUUUUM, I don't want to!!!!' ;D

About the food though, the next Tesco shop I have due costs £38ish and it includes tons of Christmas stuff I'm stocking up on and the ingredients for the lemon meringue pie on the old style board as a treat, so that's pretty good, kinda......

I'm getting there... maybe not fast, but I'm getting there I promise :)
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    What about a second part time job say 4 or 5 hours per week, weekends ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure