Natwest debit card / online banking help, if possible - a few questions! Thanks!

Problems are now solved. See bottom.

Hi there! I'm a brand new customer to Natwest.
I have received my Solo/Maestro debit card, and have received the PIN number as well. I just have a few small questions which I'd be so appreciative if somone could answer:

---

1) Today, I paid in £300 into the Natwest account via a Bank Giro pay-in slip in a Royal Bank of Scotland bank. How long should I expect to wait for my balance to show up in my Natwest account?

2) Today I signed up for On-Line banking. The website stated that I would soon receive my activation code. In everyone else's experience, how long did this code take to arrive? I ask this in reference to the following question.

3) I need to transfer money to someone else's Natwest account, but I was told a bank transfer would be £18! I thought they were free. A cheque will be a bit too slow, and I'm looking for the cheapest way. Is the online bank "single payments" service free? How long does the money take to be paid into another person's Natwest account?

4) Today, I tried to add this debit card to PayPal. It was rejected. Do you think this is because no balance is in the account yet? Paypal doesn't state this as a requirement.

---

Thank you all so much for even reading this, and helping out as best you can.
Cheers!!! :beer:
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."

Comments

• 1 - I think the money should be available the day after paying it in.

2 - A couple of days; depends on how good Royal Mail are in your area.

3 - Online transfers are free. Natwest to Natwest payments happen the same day.

4 - Has the debit card been activated yet?
  • hhobba
    hhobba Posts: 100 Forumite
    wallace, thanks so much for your reply, I do appreciate it.

I went to the bank today, my balance is still nil. Once I find out how long Bank Giro Credits take I shall let you all know!

The debit card has been activated, yes, and I have my pin number.
    I haven't used the card (obviousely) yet, so I thought that might be the problem.

I'll let you all know the solutions whenever I find them!
    If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Thanks!
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    hhobba wrote:
    1) Today, I paid in £300 into the Natwest account via a Bank Giro pay-in slip in a Royal Bank of Scotland bank. How long should I expect to wait for my balance to show up in my Natwest account?
    If you are using an ATM to get the balance it should show up immediately, which has always been the case when I have paid in cash at NatWest branches. I cannot help thinking that the delay might be because RBS systems for processing deposits may not be linked to NatWest accounts, despite being part of the same organisation. Perhaps a delay of up to 3 days if that is the case.
    hhobba wrote:
    2) Today I signed up for On-Line banking. The website stated that I would soon receive my activation code. In everyone else's experience, how long did this code take to arrive? I ask this in reference to the following question.
    3 days.
    hhobba wrote:
    3) I need to transfer money to someone else's Natwest account, but I was told a bank transfer would be £18! I thought they were free. A cheque will be a bit too slow, and I'm looking for the cheapest way. Is the online bank "single payments" service free? How long does the money take to be paid into another person's Natwest account?
    The online service via BACS is free (third party payments) and should take 3 working days to reach the destination account (including the day it was sent if before 5pm). NatWest to NatWest online account transfers are only instant if both accounts are in your name (transfers).

I believe if the payee banks at the same branch of NatWest and pays in your cheque then it will reach their account on the same day.
  • hhobba
    miller, thanks so much for the great post. It really helped.
    Cheers!
  • any particular reason why you lodged your paying in slip with RBS & not a branch of Natwest? - if you pay cash in at Natwest it shows on your account immediately

the quickest way to get cash to another Natwest account that is not yours is to call at a branch & pay into the account with either cash or your solo card

not every outlet accepts solo as this is the very basic card as opposed to the widely accepted standard maestro card - maybe you need to check with paypal
  • sertav
    sertav Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can confirm that Paypal accepts the solo card. I've used it several times now to pay for stuff.

For the OP, you may well need to verify your bank account with first. Will you be using it with Ebay?
    5p savings box: £01.60
    £2 savings box: £12.00
    1 & 2p savings box: too many too count! :D
  • hhobba
    Hi there! Thanks for the replies :D

My Natwest bank is 30 miles away, the reason I chose Natwest was because of the debit card, which no other banks offer to under 18 year olds nearby.

Yes I will be using the card with ebay, so I will add the bank account before trying to add the card again. It's been 2 days and balance is still NIL. I'll try tomorrow and Monday. Thanks again :)
  • hhobba
    Hi again.

I can confirm that:

* Bank giro credits from RBS > Natwest take 3 working days.
    * Activation codes take 3 days to arrive.
    * Natwest online payments are free and same-day for other Natwest accounts.
    * Paypal (apparantely) needs a card from an account with balance in it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    When you open an account and add a new card with paypal it takes the sterling equivelent of $1.95 out as an initial transfer. It then refunds this back to your paypal account. This is why your card was not accepted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure