Transfer to IWeb

So I am in the process of transferring from IG to IWeb platform (to avoid the pesky IG custody fee). I hold mostly Vanguard ETFs and apparently IWeb does not appear to offer Vanguard FTSE Developed Asia Pacific ex Japan (VAPX) ETF which i hold.

Looking at the IWeb platform, the closest ETF i can find is the iShares Asia Pacific Div ETF USD Dist (IAPD) which is aiming for higher dividend yield but also has a higher TER of 0.59% compared to the 0.22% of the APX. Furthermore it is denominated in $USD. Not quite sure how that will complicate things in terms of transaction costs/FX fees.

I was wondering what if you all know what other options are there for Asia Pacific holdings I should be looking at, perhaps switch into a Fund for Asia Pacific?

Any one had any luck asking IWeb to add funds/ETF to their offerings and if its is better to phone them up to just through Webchat?

Many thanks for you help!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have never used iWeb, but it might be worth contacting them about adding that ETF and you could use a bit of leverage that if they add that ETF to their platform you will move your ISA across.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • inflationbuster
    inflationbuster Posts: 250 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2018 at 3:23PM
    VAPX or IAPD don't seem to match any searches under my iWeb A/C.

Interactive Investor provides both l checked in my ISA
    Barclays also provide these under their smart investor platform via the ETF tab again in my ISA.

Unfortunately l can't recommend II they've just trashed the research site and their platform is buggy to log-in and when volatile it's not possible to trade.

Can't comment on Barclays as haven't actually put any money in there.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Unfortunately VAPX doesn't meet IWeb's criteria, therefore it hasn't been in their offerings. Shame.

I guess I have to go back to the drawing board to tweak my portfolio.

• jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Why are you so keen to use an ETF instead of a fund, given that iWeb doesn't charge differently for trading or holding them?
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Quite right you are. I could consider mutual funds as well.

Just checked out Vanguard's offering of the Pacific Ex Japan Index Fund. It uses the MSCI Pacific ex Japan Index, and this somehows excludes Korea and has less number of stocks in the fund (152 vs 359) compared to APX.

I will keep looking at other fund companies for ideas.

• bundoran
    bundoran Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Quite right you are. I could consider mutual funds as well.

Just checked out Vanguard's offering of the Pacific Ex Japan Index Fund. It uses the MSCI Pacific ex Japan Index, and this somehows excludes Korea and has less number of stocks in the fund (152 vs 359) compared to APX.

I will keep looking at other fund companies for ideas.

Legal and General Pacific Index Class I includes South Korea and invests in 542 companies. The OCF is 0.19% so it is cheaper than the Vanguard fund too. :)
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    darkidoe wrote: »

That's right - this is a difference to bear in mind between index providers. MSCI has Korea as an emerging market, FTSE World has it as developed AsiaPac. So Vanguard's Pacific fund (which uses MSCI) won't have Korea, L&G's (which uses FTSE) does have it.

If you want to cover Korea "once and only once", you want to have the same underlying index provider for both your EM and your Pacific fund. Vanguard uses MSCI for both, so if you held the Vanguard EM Stock Index Fund, you'd get Korea exposure that way.
  • purple_rose
    purple_rose Posts: 69 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, Iam thinking of moving to II as i like the fee structure. Has it just gone down hill recently? or have there been long term issues?
    Thanks
    PR
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, Iam thinking of moving to II as i like the fee structure. Has it just gone down hill recently? or have there been long term issues?

Mostly problems following the integration of their TD Direct acquisition which will pass with time. Still I am avoiding them for now.

Alex
  • Hi, Iam thinking of moving to II as i like the fee structure. Has it just gone down hill recently? or have there been long term issues?
    Thanks
    PR

Avoid the TD platform sucks and they've just trashed the research site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure