Graffiti in Bank

Outsider_83
Outsider_83 Posts: 166 Forumite
edited 26 March 2018 at 10:17PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Some context to this issue but some months ago a customer within a Halifax branch spotted some racist graffiti in a bank and made a big deal of it, demanding compensation etc, I later found out this graffiti had anti Semitic connotations.

Some months later in the same branch I spotted some anti Semitic graffiti so I had a quiet word with a staff member. I returned to the branch some days later, noticed nothing had been done so I sent an email into Halifax.

I received a call from Halifax some days later demanding to know exactly where the graffiti was to which I advised. Later the same day a staff member called me back to advise that the graffiti was removed but my complaint was not being upheld as nobody remembers talking to me and the area where the graffiti was is checked daily. I advised that I was unhappy with how Halifax had dealt with this.

Is this normal from the bank?

Comments

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,162 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Was it the same bank as your other thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5743596
  • Outsider_83
    Same one, probably an issue but they should still remove it although I won't mention it again.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Stay out of such issues, I assume the bank maybe fed up with such feedback.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    How long before the usual poster recommends you "moan, complain and ask for compensation", I wonder.

In fact it's probably precisely because of litigious compensation-culture proponents (like the aforementioned) that your bank interpreted your community mindedness as angling for a quick buck. Either that, or the handler woke up that day to discover his wife was cheating on him with his boss and his cat had left a present in his cornflakes, but I suspect the former. Sad that it's got to this state of affairs.
    : )
  • Outsider_83
    Gosh I had no intention of seeking anything other than the graffitis removal, I'm just disappointed with the way the handler spoke to me but such is life.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The complaint handler mentioned that the area is reviewed every day and the longest it could have been within the bank was from yesterday (Thursday). I asked how they could account for me officially sending an email on Tuesday but the complaint Manager advised his position is final.
    I regret sending the email now but I just felt that as it included insulting references to ethnic groups it was better for everyone to have it removed. Is this the normal way for feedback to be handled or should I have stayed out of it completely?

If it offends you, next time take a photo and tweet it to the Bank. I'll bet you get a quicker and more efficient resolution..
    ====
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Is this the normal way for feedback to be handled or should I have stayed out of it completely?

I've no idea if it's normal but no, you shouldn't have stayed out of it. Well done.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    d123 wrote: »
    If it offends you, next time take a photo and tweet it to the Bank. I'll bet you get a quicker and more efficient resolution..
    +1 for Twitter... Social Media is king in these situations. Bad publicity seems to get immediate attention. Long gone are the days of the traditional methods of "complaining"
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    What I don't understand is why they refused to uphold your complaint but did advise they'd removed the graffiti, this is odd.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Was it a Banksy?

I'll let my coat....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts