Selling your stuff on EBID. advice for new sellers

Comments

• Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't like criticizing stuff. However, I used ebid for 6 months in 2017 and compared to ebay (yes we know the fees are high). You really can see the difference in what you are paying for!
    My ebid experience was a complete waste of time. In fact terrible.
    Listing stuff is a pain, much more difficult then ebay.
    If you think buyers on ebay can difficult wait until you deal with the buyers on ebid. I had 2 sales in 8 months (one buyer purchased then wanted to return after 28 days after using the item for all that time). On ebay same items sold within hours.
    I wouldn’t touch ebid with a bargepole. The impression I get is that scammer buyers know how to work that system very well now.
    Unfortunately, we all know that as ebay has a monopoly on this kind of sector. The reason why they do as your products reach the world quickly saving you time. Sadly ebid ticks none of those boxes IMHO.
  • It doesn't have a monopoly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It doesn't have a monopoly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly
    True. Impressive that on a thread about one of the many poorly functioning competitors to Ebay is talk of their monopoly.

They do occasionally have monopolistic tendencies in some of their actions but as far as pricing goes they, at least compete with Amazon and probably with several others. Some of their competitors don't even charge a fee for selling.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nesty wrote: »
    I don't like criticizing stuff. However, I used ebid for 6 months in 2017 and compared to ebay (yes we know the fees are high). You really can see the difference in what you are paying for!
    My ebid experience was a complete waste of time. In fact terrible.
    Listing stuff is a pain, much more difficult then ebay.
    If you think buyers on ebay can difficult wait until you deal with the buyers on ebid. I had 2 sales in 8 months (one buyer purchased then wanted to return after 28 days after using the item for all that time). On ebay same items sold within hours.
    I wouldn’t touch ebid with a bargepole. The impression I get is that scammer buyers know how to work that system very well now.
    Unfortunately, we all know that as ebay has a monopoly on this kind of sector. The reason why they do as your products reach the world quickly saving you time. Sadly ebid ticks none of those boxes IMHO.

2 sales in 8 months is pretty impressive for Ebid, I gave up after about 12 years and never actually sold enough to even cover my lifetime membership fees.

Frankly I'm surprised ebid is actually still going , but I suspect they are still making money flogging half price memberships to newbies. Oh, and membership is always half price, it never ever changes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Did you know if you write anything negative on the Ebid forum it is removed, not only that, dare to repeat the offence and you are banned from the site! Talk about false advertising to get new members! There are just no buyers, nothing but sellers trying desperately to sell to each other. Saying that it's actually a buyers heaven, there are no competitors so most things sell for well below their value, picked up quite a few bargains myself!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    November2 wrote: »
    Did you know if you write anything negative on the Ebid forum it is removed, not only that, dare to repeat the offence and you are banned from the site! Talk about false advertising to get new members! There are just no buyers, nothing but sellers trying desperately to sell to each other. Saying that it's actually a buyers heaven, there are no competitors so most things sell for well below their value, picked up quite a few bargains myself!

I've had very few problems on line and on here, but usually when I am negative about ebid I get a lot of hate pm's and nasty name calling. It used to be particularly nasty but luckily I think it has stopped now. Apparently it seems that if you say something they don't agree with, even on here, you can be targeted by the hard liners. Very nasty indeed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Having seen this thread become active again, I thought I'd go back and try to buy something from Ebid again. Trouble is, I'm searching hard and can't find anything that I want to buy.

There are very, very, few auctions on Ebid.
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    RHemmings wrote: »

There are very, very, few auctions on Ebid.

As most items are BIN.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mayday wrote: »
    As most items are BIN.

Yes, that's what I meant.

BTW: I found something to buy and bought it.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have kept a listing on there just to keep tabs on views but have done no marketing or advertising. I think we've had 3 sales since last summer and I have bought nothing because whenever I search, I either don't find what I'm looking for or else I find it at a ridiculous price. I tried for years to support the site, still do whenever I can, but it isn't easy and it isn't possible for me to sustain any sort of reliable income from there. However, I still think it is a good price for what you get by way of secure listing space for shop fronts and transactions if you are running an online store and doing your own promotions and publicity. I think it might be tme to experiment again, just to find out if buyers are finding the stuff.

I feel another little challenge coming on... :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure