Leaving 3, PAC Code & 30 days notice

bignred05
bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
can someone please clarify, my contract Minimum Term finishes on : 26/01/2018

I requested my PAC code on the 30.Dec.2017

I intended to use it around the 25/26.Jan (it states it expires on the 28.Jan)

or do I have to give 30 days notice from the 26.Jan.2018

don't fancy any silly bills

Thanks

Comments

• MurkySurfy
    MurkySurfy Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 2:15AM
    You can't have both.
    This is for keeping the phone number:
    If you request a PAC code, you have around 30 days to use it and once used it will terminate your contract on the day of exchange.You should then get a final bill. If you don't use your PAC, your contract is still ongoing regardless of you requesting a PAC code.

If you request to terminate your contract, depending on term and conditions, you will need to give 30 days notice before termination assuming you don't want to keep the phone number.

Also I would use your PAC ideally 24th or 25th January so the transfer can occur the next working day.
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MurkySurfy wrote: »
    You can't have both.
    This is for keeping the phone number:
    If you request a PAC code, you have around 30 days to use it and once used it will terminate your contract on the day of exchange.You should then get a final bill. If you don't use your PAC, your contract is still ongoing regardless of you requesting a PAC code.

If you request to terminate your contract, depending on term and conditions, you will need to give 30 days notice before termination assuming you don't want to keep the phone number.

Also I would use your PAC ideally 24th or 25th January so the transfer can occur the next working day.

sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough

my contract earliest termination date is 26.Jan.2017

I phoned 3 up on the 30.Dec.2017 to inform them I will be leaving (after the 26.Jan.18) due to the deal I have lined up in EE (a shared sim) 3 never even offered me anything to stay, a bit surprised at that.

I asked for my PAC code which states it must be used by the 28.Jan.2018 (a Sunday)

My concern is I get hit by any unexpected bills from 3 hence the post

Thanks
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Then give the PAC to your new provider a few days ahead of schedult and don't exceed your PRO-RATA period for the part month. You don't give notice with a PAC.
  • LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    When you request your PAC then your current provider will take that as your 30 days notice (if you don't use your PAC then don't worry, your service continues).

If you have your new SIM ready to go then I would suggest you "use" your PAC now to arrange for the port to happen on the 26th or a suitable date.

It can be earlier, but you will be billed for the time between the port date and the 30 days from PAC issue (which would be the 28th Jan).
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The new 'Text to Switch' system looks a lot more straightforward but Ofcom have given providers an 18 month implementation period so not everyone will be using it until July 2019.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2017/switch-mobile-provider-with-a-free-text
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure