Ground rent

Hi I have lived in my house for over 20 years and have paid by cheque every year £2.25 to Russell Brothers for the ground rent. This August I got a letter saying Estates and Management Ltd was taking over collecting it and I was 6 years in arrears. I emailed them to say this was not right and got no reply. Last Friday I then got another letter saying I was £13.50 in arrears and if I didn't send it in 7 days I would be charged £45 for late payment and admin fee. I rang them up and told them I wasn't in arrears and they said I needed to get a receipt from Russell Brothers, to which I asked them why couldn't they do it. I was told firmly it was my problem. I then looked on the internet for a contact number for Russell Brothers but found out they had gone into Liquidation. So I rang back and told them this, to which they said I must then send them 6 bank statements with the transaction on or i would be charged the late payment fee. At this time I was a bit annoyed as I had changed banks and would be charged for copied statements. I was then told it was not their problem and if i didn't I would be charged. A few words were said back which i regretted afterwards. I have found this years statement with the transaction but it would cost me more than the £13.50 to find the others. I hate the thought of paying twice but it makes financial sense. Is there anything I can do? Thanks

Comments

• CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi barrowfordclaret, thank you for your query regarding ground rent
    I would suggest you write to this company stating the debt is in dispute and providing them with a copy of the statement for this year highlighting the payment and ask them to respond within a set amount of time and not to add any charges until they have investigated fully and replied to you. You may be able to get copies of the paid cheques from your old bank without cost instead of copy statements but if they did take you to court you may have to pay for the copy statements and then counter claim for the cost of getting that evidence. You can find more information about disputing debts at https://www.adviceguide.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Thanks for the advice I will do that.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Funny, I take the opinion that your statements are private to you and none of their business. All you need do is to transcribe the dates and amounts of the last 6 years, as anything prior to this unenforceable, as is any additional amounts they try to impose for supposed previous late payments.

I was in a similar situation years ago where I made 2 bi-annual payments of £4.00. They had changed bank accounts and not notified me (although they claim they did). 1 payment went astray but was never refunded to me so, whilst the kept incrementing what they claimed was a shortfall, after 6 years I told them they were in error and provided 6 years of payment history. They weren't pleased but realised they were unable to proceed.

Your finances are your concern - keep them that way.
  • I have sent them a letter, but since then I have asked 5 of my neighbours and they have all received letters saying they were all 6 years in arrears. They all said they have paid, but couldn't be bothered disputing it and have paid the £13.50. Maybe I should have asked for proof that they own the land. One thing is sure though we have all said we will not pay until we receive a final letter in future. ;) Thanks for the input Buzby.
  • Just got a letter back saying, thank you for your letter the contents of which we note. After investigating into your query our client has agreed as a gesture of goodwill to write off the balance outstanding.
    That was nice of them writing off money I had paid!
    Anyhow good result, thanks for the help.:T It just makes me wonder how many people got these letters and paid the small amount because they couldn't be bothered with the hassle.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure