Housing benefit query

I am claiming housing benefit and on jobseekers my son is leaving college and has a part time job earning £55 a week If he claims jobseekers as he is of course looking for a full time job will they make a deduction to my housing benefit?

Comments

• MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    geminilady wrote: »
    I am claiming housing benefit and on jobseekers my son is leaving college and has a part time job earning £55 a week If he claims jobseekers as he is of course looking for a full time job will they make a deduction to my housing benefit?
    Hi, If your son is between 18 & 25 the applicable amount of JSA would be £56.25. If he is earning under this amount and working less than 16 then he would be able to claim JSA up to the applicable amount(special circumstances apply). Information regarding your HB - An adult who lives in your home and who is not a tenant or boarder, other than your partner, is called a non-dependant. For example, you might have a friend, parent, grown-up son or daughter or another relative living with you. If you have a non-dependant living in your home, an amount will usually be deducted from your Housing Benefit on the assumption that they could give you some money towards the costs of accommodation, even if they do not do so. The amount of the deduction depends on their circumstances. Hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • daimonde
    daimonde Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    this is the same as the thread posted the other day -

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4029965

and the answers are there too ;)

no non-dependant deduction if under 25 & receives JSA.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sorry I am having memory problems:o it is a shock to the system being made redundant and trying to sort out benefits.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure