Child Support Agency payments

Options
How does someone find out the amount of money they are allowed to work before money is taken for the child support agency?

I ask because I have a friend who thinks it is better if he only works part time to avoid having to pay. He has 2 children. His ex wife does not work.

grateful for any help.

thanks

Comments

• mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Greentea wrote:
    I have a friend who thinks it is better if he only works part time to avoid having to pay.

Better for who? Him or his children?
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    Lets not judge eh.

you can find the information on the CSA website.

I think you have to pay a nominal amount (£5) if you earn under £100 a week, and up to £200 a week you pay a reduced amount (£5 on the first £100 and then a percentage on the second amount depending on how many kids).

Over £200 a week its standard rate.

You only pay nothing if you are claiming certain benefits etc.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    All absent parents have to pay something, like Lady S says, the minimum is £5. I believe the calculation is 15% of his net pay for one child, 20% for two, 25% for three or more children. Personally, i think someone who wants to deprive their child/children of what they are entitled too isnt much of a father!!!!
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Options
    But if the mother is on income support the children will only be getting £10 a week or something daft anyway. So it doesn't matter if he paid £90.
  • Elliebabe
    Options
    Lady_S wrote:
    But if the mother is on income support the children will only be getting £10 a week or something daft anyway. So it doesn't matter if he paid £90.

But at least the tax payer isn't supporting them!
  • beastoid_2
    Options
    The csa was designed to get absent fathers who are not paying anything towards the upbringing of their children, there are many absent fathers who do pay and are quite happy to pay.

I personally have had a dogs life with the csa, on more than one occasion i have been reduced to tears, and felt completely helpless, i have two children and would do anything for them, one of my children now lives with me, the other lives with his mother, we have joint custody and he stays with me 3 times a week.

i still pay csa, and i will not change even if people tell me i can get a better deal, the thought of the brown envelope dropping through my letter box, or a reassessment for some obscure reason fills me with complete dread, and as far as i am aware the absent fathers who did'nt pay in the first place still seem to get away with it.

the taxpayer is paying for an unfair, unjust system that the goverment has no way of controlling. Please do not tar everybody with the same brush everytime somebody mentions this.
    Steve Gerrard is a GOD
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    Greentea wrote:

I ask because I have a friend who thinks it is better if he only works part time to avoid having to pay. He has 2 children. His ex wife does not work.

Why does he want to avoid paying. If he has 2 children surely he should contribute towards them!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport