Quote for fencing

Options
Hi all!

We need to replace our garden fencing. Unfortunately we are responsible for all three sides. We have neighbours one side, but I really can't imagine them offering to contribute, nor would I expect them to.

Currently, at the end of the garden we have a very wobbly 6 ft wall, with a raised bed in front that has a 4 ft wall. There's also an old concrete panel shed to be removed. The garden is 30 ft wide. The garden is 66 ft long, and along one side there's multiple layers of fence which has been patched up over the years by previous owners.

The builder that's going to do our extension later in the year has quoted £1,200 for stripping out old fence/wall/shed and skips, then £95 per bay using 6ft by 6ft heavy duty panels, concrete posts and gravel boards. There's 27 bays (approx 162 ft) so the grand total comes to £3,765.

We haven't got the time (or skills) to replace the fence ourselves, plus it needs to be done properly and quite quickly as we have two dogs.

Does this seem reasonable? I've never had fencing replaced before so have nothing to compare it to. Have looked on line and the quote seems to be about right, but on the same hand feels like a lot of money.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Michael
Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
Current Balance (15th February 2019): £209,278.85 :eek:
Target: Balance below £170,000.00 by August 2023 :)

Comments

• ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    does the quote include all the materials or do you have to [ay for them on top of this

if it does include all the materials then to be fair its too bad try to get him down a little if you can as you are using him for the extension and the bathroom, unfortunately not having the skills to tackle this your self you at the mercy of whatever the going rate is
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • MichaelDH
    MichaelDH Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ratrace wrote: »
    does the quote include all the materials or do you have to [ay for them on top of this

if it does include all the materials then to be fair its too bad try to get him down a little if you can as you are using him for the extension and the bathroom, unfortunately not having the skills to tackle this your self you at the mercy of whatever the going rate is

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, quote includes all materials as well.
    Starting Balance August 2016: £170,199.00 | Remortgaged August 2018: £212,000.00
    Current Balance (15th February 2019): £209,278.85 :eek:
    Target: Balance below £170,000.00 by August 2023 :)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I paid ~£100 per 6' bay a while back, so your quote isn't too far out of line for new fencing - That said, I was responsible for removing the old (very dead) privet hedge that was there. £1200 to remove 162' of fencing & prefab shed isn't excessive when you consider the cost of skips.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MichaelDH wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, quote includes all materials as well.

Ok, would it be possible for you to do all the stripping and getting rid of the waste yourself

we have just done a patio and decking and a small fence plus replacing 2 new 6ft x6ft panels using same posts (first time so took a while plus we are diy'ers not pro's at all) but we was getting silly and i mean silly quotes so we decided to do it our selfs

Bought all the materials for a local timber yard (much much cheaper than a builders mercent) got to know the lad on the desk so he gave me a trade discount on top of the cheaper prices

as far as removing waste and there was a lot rubble, soil, wood an old shed etc... what i did was bought a small van for £300 and used that to get rid of all the stuff went to the tip at least 20 times (if im paying high council tax which i am, im going to make sure i get my moneys worth) no skips etc.. here way too expensive

the point im trying to make is we all work very very hard to earn a living and we should eet value for money at the other end

the savings i have made buy doing it my self is the biggest wage i have ever recevied ( i recorded the ammount of hours it took from start to finish)

hope this helps, the point is just give things a try you never know you may be very good at diy
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport