Difficult choices re old v new job

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think there are two main reasons, one is that sometimes the current employer says they will do X, Y and Z but then they don't, but the other is that if you've got as far as finding a new job, emotionally you're out of the door and you'll end up not staying that long.

however, 6K plus 2 days pw WFH would be hard to resist ...

Which is why it always makes sense to get these things in writing, especially an offer as good as this!
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Stay put
    6K plus 2 WFH days would do it for me. (saves on petrol / car services etc)

I would also work on 'updating' the company 'slowly' pointing out the benefits to them, such as saving paper / faster responses / etc

Make sure you get it all in writting so there are no arguments down the line.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • On the face of it i'd be inclined to stay put, if they have gone out of their way to keep you and now know you have thought about leaving they may look after you more going forward as they obviously see you as a key member of the team.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You didn't just "get a new job" as if it was some random occurrence, like catching a cold, or getting caught in the rain - you decided the current job was not for you, and actively went looking for something else.

So, why did you decide to move, and are those reasons still valid? Jumping ship for a pay rise of the grand sum of one thousand per year suggests money wasn't the primary motivation - there must be other more serious reasons behind the decision to leave.

Personally, I reckon that once you've made the decision to leave, you ought to follow it through - nothing's really changed except for the money. If anything, you should use the £6k counter-offer from your current employer to negotiate a better rate with the new company - surely they can do better than their first offer, which is barely more than your current rate!
  • bmjv
    bmjv Posts: 12 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2018 at 2:23PM
    Thank you for the replies so far.

Just to clarify, my current employer does use emails (its not that old fashioned!) but for example when we send figures out, instead of just emailing a copy for the client to sign etc, we send out paper copies and have to write a long winded notes. Also a lot of printing on paper instead of just PDFing documents.

Regarding the reasons for leaving, it was partly due to the commute (I used to live in the same town as my job, but had to move out of the area to move from a flat to a house due to house prices!) and partly due to there being not a lot of progression in my job.

However, on handing in my notice, my boss painted a good picture and has kind of persuaded me that there is some progression if I want it (and if he does what he says). In hindsight I maybe should have had this discussion before I handed in my notice (though I did ask for more things to do previously and it never materialised), but then maybe I wouldn't have had the leverage now (though getting "leverage" obviously wasn't my intention!), and he probably wouldn't have taken much notice (pardon the pun!). It is annoying that you have to hand your notice in to realise you are valued.

Its a difficult choice between a Job I don't mind, I like the people, i will get paid for and can WFH 2 days a week, to a new job, which could be good, working on modern system (which will keep me in the loop if i decide to move elsewhere after this job), probably a better calibre of colleagues etc.

Why do we have to make such life changing decisions?! haha :eek:
  • bmjv
    I have tried and he occasionally listens. He just is very old fashioned and likes paper everywhere!!
  • bmjv
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Keep the job! Crikey 6k and 2 days at home; clearly you!!!8217;ve got a future there

I have tried and he occasionally listens. He just is very old fashioned and likes paper everywhere!!
  • bmjv
    Why has the new job become available? Are both telling you the truth and the written detail backs up.

One thing you cannot do in a modern company is turn them old fashioned but in an old fashioned company you can have a go at turning them more modern. With protection of 7 years compared to 0 months in reality for the next 2 years (if there is a disagreement to be had you'd always be the new person with no power) there wouldn't be much of a debate going on if offered more money to stay in an environment you know.

Who is more sound financially? I know of someone who started a job to learn the super person that pretty well champion'd them getting job was leaving anyway and then got to answer the phone to debt collectors so the worry of being new didn't last long, more am 'I likely to be paid'! (you bet they wish they had done their homework it would have saved a lot of bother) they have terrible luck - don't let it be you.

I think both are pretty sound financially.

The current employer is a little one man band 20 years ago which has grown to 14 people and we are squeezed into an office probably too small for everyone. Really he needs to move but wont......!

The new employer is a big firm with numerous offices so I should think they are pretty secure jobwise.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    You have 1/2 answered the questions I was going to raise.

I am always wary of the counter offers because it should have been there anyway if you are good/they want you.

if you have been relatively passive in the current place and just gone with the flow even though you wanted some modernization and have not been asking for rises then that has to change if you stay you need to be much more assertive in progressing within the organization.

What you have to realize is this is not a choice of old job or the new job this needs to be a choice between two new jobs and if you stay make sure this new job materializes.

don't wait till you make the choice start now,
    This new work what is it, you need a list of projects and when they will start,
    when can the work from home start next week?

This pay rise if I am that important lets have this back dated to start of August how do we make that happen now.

looking forward
    Depends what you do, but adding value and getting rewarded needs to to start happening no more passive, look for the client you want to work with any project you want to be working on, get involved and drive what you do.

Some clients are going to like the traditional professional approach could be there is a niche and your places captures that client base can you build on that.

I would look closely at where you want this job to go can, you become more than just another person that works there doing stuff.

if office space if cramped is there a need for some more work from home with hot desking could that be something you instigate and get working.

Can you investigate the reluctance to move office and see if there are solutions.

Plenty of things to think about but to reiterate this is comparing 2 new jobs
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How easily did you find the new job? How buoyant is the market where you are? If you found the new job with relative ease, then you could always accept the counter-offer, take the higher pay, and see if the other things materialise over the next 6-12 months. If they do, great, if they don't, it'll be easy to find another role.

However, if things aren't too great, you need to more carefully evaluate the extent to which your current boss will meet his promises - words are cheap, after all...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure