MSE Poll: How do you rate your banks' apps?

Poll started 5 June 2018
More and more of us now bank by app, so we want you to rate yours. Please vote for ALL THE APPS that you've used.

NOTE: When we say standard features we mean it only has the likes of account details and transactions. Lots of features means it offers extras such as budgeting and categorising your spending.
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Budget_mum
    Budget_mum Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've recently been making the most of bank switching deals so have used a few of the apps. I have to say First Direct is the very worst I've come across so far
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    I use my banks website for internet banking but no interest in the app as I don't have a device to run it on other than my desktop so it would be pointless.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It should be 99.99% who don't use the apps.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Never downloaded the apps.
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 June 2018 at 12:11AM
    I’ve never used Starling but Monzo is streets ahead of any other banking app I’ve used. No surprise this is being reflected in the poll results so far.

Interesting you decided to include Chip and Plum. But the poll options don’t really make sense for them, since they have neither standard nor lots of features.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Don't all the apps do what you need them to do?
    See balance, allow you to do transfers and pay people, look at direct debits and set up standing orders?
    What else does the app need to do?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • ozaz
    edited 11 June 2018 at 9:46AM
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Don't all the apps do what you need them to do?
    See balance, allow you to do transfers and pay people, look at direct debits and set up standing orders?
    What else does the app need to do?

I'll comment based on some features of the Monzo app that are superior to regular banking apps, but I think Starling has basically the same features.
    • Real-time transaction lists and notifications (no waiting several hours before a transaction gets added)
    • Much better information on each transaction than regular apps/statements (e.g. recognizable names instead of hard-to-decipher merchant codes; potentially useful metadata like location of purchase). EDIT: "Better information" might not be the right term here. But the information is certainly presented to you in a much better way.
    • Spending analytics (e.g. how much money you have spent in different categories of items; how much you have spent at a particular merchant)
    • Budgeting tools (e.g. how much you are projected to have left at the end of the month based on spending patterns)
    • Ability to add notes and receipts to transactions
    • Ability to temporarily freeze the card within the app if you think you may have lost it
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ozaz wrote: »
    I'll comment based on some features of the Monzo app that are superior to regular banking apps, but I think Starling has basically the same features.
    • Real-time transaction lists and notifications (no waiting several hours before a transaction gets added)
    • Much better information on each transaction than regular apps/statements (e.g. recognizable names instead of hard-to-decipher merchant codes; potentially useful metadata like location of purchase). EDIT: "Better information" might not be the right term here. But the information is certainly presented to you in a much better way.
    • Spending analytics (e.g. how much money you have spent in different categories of items; how much you have spent at a particular merchant)
    • Budgeting tools (e.g. how much you are projected to have left at the end of the month based on spending patterns)
    • Ability to add notes and receipts to transactions
    • Ability to temporarily freeze the card within the app if you think you may have lost it

1st one, yeah it sometimes takes a day to go on so I could potentially see the advantage of that, but I guess the question is why do the other banks wait a day to add transactions? I thought it was down to when the merchant sent its data through therefore out of the banks hands, but clearly I am wrong if one bank can do it instantly.

Hmm, how does it know what category each spend is in? Does it have like a list of shops or something?

Not sure I get the budget thing based on what it thinks you will spend... I don't tend to have regular spending from my current account apart from SO to other accounts at the beginning of the month.

The only thing I would be interested in is to how they can show transactions in real time. Only things I can see on my bank instantly are transfers and cash withdrawals.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have a Barclays and Coop account, use apps for both. OH has Halifax. We transfer funds between the 3 on a regular basis and it's virtually instantaneous these days.
  • ozaz
    edited 11 June 2018 at 7:13PM
    indesisiv wrote: »
    1st one, yeah it sometimes takes a day to go on so I could potentially see the advantage of that, but I guess the question is why do the other banks wait a day to add transactions? I thought it was down to when the merchant sent its data through therefore out of the banks hands, but clearly I am wrong if one bank can do it instantly.

Hmm, how does it know what category each spend is in? Does it have like a list of shops or something?

Not sure I get the budget thing based on what it thinks you will spend... I don't tend to have regular spending from my current account apart from SO to other accounts at the beginning of the month.

The only thing I would be interested in is to how they can show transactions in real time. Only things I can see on my bank instantly are transfers and cash withdrawals.

This article at the following link provides the best explanation I can find of how they can show notifications in real-time: https://monzo.com/blog/2015/12/02/3-second-sandwich/
    FYI, it was written when Monzo had a different name (Mondo)

The article makes it sound like the IT systems of traditional banks are simply not designed to make use of real-time data. The "How is Mondo different?" section of the article is how they augment the data on each transaction and I assume this feeds into auto-categorisation. Categories can then be adjusted by the user and the user preference is learned by the app.

I don't really use the budget thing but its there. Most people are creatures of habit so I wouldn't be surprised if projected spending patterns get fairly accurate after a few months of use for people who do all their spending on the card. I expect more budgeting tools will be added with time.

The reason I started using Monzo was the real-time notifications/transaction logging. I wanted to switch from mainly cash-based day-to-day spending to using mainly contactless payments and Monzo facilitated this. Without instant logging of transactions in my statement/spending-feed I suspect it would be hard to keep track of contactless spending on a day-to-day basis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure