MSE Poll: What have you taken from a hotel room?

Comments

• Lois_Lane
    Lois_Lane Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    I'm shocked at the results of the polls - having worked in the holiday industry, it's very obvious when something is stolen, the hotel could easily initiate criminal proceedings against someone that steals items like TVs, guests provide personal details when they book!
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
  • stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 8:29PM
    Chocolates, biscuits & tea bags are fair game, they are there for your consumption.

I disagree that people should steal towels etc. but I'm surprised people have voted for things like a TV, a DVD player (seriously, who even uses these anymore?!) or a lamp.

That's just plain theft (and of expensive goods) and the hotel should prosecute.
  • Vickimichelle
    Vickimichelle Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I brought some little shower gels back from Disneyland as they had Mickey Mouse ears.

I didn't think of it as stealing though as they were put there for our use anyway.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I sometimes take the tea/coffee sachets and the toiletries as they are handy for other trips and meant to be used by the guest.

I wouldn!!!8217;t however take bathrobes etc, that isn!!!8217;t any different to stealing one from a shop.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    always take soap in case the next place doesnt have any
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Umbrella's? lol
  • I feel quite annoyed by your poll as I feel you should have made some differentiation with the items. I would never dream of stealing, and am appalled that people would take towels,bathrobes and batteries etc as this is theft. However I see shower gels and tea sachets as little treats we have paid for - sometimes I might use another shower gel and take the handy one given home. If we are supposed to use them what is the difference? Now I am going to feel uncomfortable about taking them.-why don't you poll hotels about the exact situation???
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I sometimes take the tea/coffee sachets and the toiletries as they are handy for other trips and meant to be used by the guest.

Let's say you were entertaining guests and laid out some biscuits, cakes and bottles of drinks for them to consume. Would you be happy if when they left they took every unopened bottle of drink home with them as they were meant to be used by the guests?.

Personally i wouldn't as i would assume the host only intended them for use while i was there and wouldn't take them unless they said to. I apply the same reasoning to hotel rooms so don't feel i have an explicit right to take any unused things home with me.

If you actually asked a hotel i don't think many of them would say they intend for the guest to take home all unused consumables.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2018 at 3:07PM
    takman wrote: »
    Let's say you were entertaining guests and laid out some biscuits, cakes and bottles of drinks for them to consume. Would you be happy if when they left they took every unopened bottle of drink home with them as they were meant to be used by the guests?.

Personally i wouldn't as i would assume the host only intended them for use while i was there and wouldn't take them unless they said to. I apply the same reasoning to hotel rooms so don't feel i have an explicit right to take any unused things home with me.

If you actually asked a hotel i don't think many of them would say they intend for the guest to take home all unused consumables.

Not really comparable, if you're entertaining guests you don't charge them for the privilege. Although marketed as 'complimentary', stuff like biscuits, tea/coffee sachets etc are included in the price, hence the reason higher end hotels tend to have more 'complimentary' items than budget ones.

Although they would obviously prefer you didn't, the big hotel chains do budget on the basis that their guests will take away unused toiletries, tea/coffee etc.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not really comparable, if you're entertaining guests you don't charge them for the privilege. Although marketed as 'complimentary', stuff like biscuits, tea/coffee sachets etc are included in the price, hence the reason higher end hotels tend to have more 'complimentary' items than budget ones.

Although they would obviously prefer you didn't, the big hotel chains do budget on the basis that their guests will take away unused toiletries, tea/coffee etc.

I just used that comparison to see how they would fee about it in a personal situation. My earlier comparison is more applicable:
    takman wrote: »
    It's like going to a buffet restaurant and you pay a set fee for all the food. Your not allowed to just take as much food home as you want, your meant to just have what you can eat while your their.

Just because the hotels budget for everything to be taken doesn't mean that you should take it, unless they say you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure