<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Just seen the video Redo :rotfl:
    Glad to say I'm at the 2/3 end:rotfl: members of you household sound identical to mine - it just doesn't bother them :rotfl: (except when they can't find something they need!)

Am working on my desk today :) Intention being to be pile free this year (smirks and :rotfl:)
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Am working on my desk today :) Intention being to be pile free this year (smirks and :rotfl:)
    I cleared mine last week but since then various people dumped things in the empty space. They cant help themselves round these parts, drawn like magnets to the emptiness.
  • Empty spaces beg to be filled!

In my bedroom I have a bed, two bedside drawers, a lamp, two books and a small wardrobe with two drawers underneath. And that's it. I do however have too many clothes in two large wardrobes in another room.

I'll join you in banning "it'll do" clothes. Why do we do that to ourselves? I have got rid of about six tshirts and a couple of other things that I actually quite dislike. I'm trying to use up my toiletries etc so fabbing is happening every other day.

Do you remember the dreaded dial-up? I was thinking about it earlier in the week. Oh and no mobiles! I hope your broadband is back and happy now.

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,246 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I need to get back to the Fly Lady thing too. I seem to spend all weekend cleaning, it would be good to spread it out over the week. I spend a lot of time clearing up after Mr SA and DD - and the dog who likes to throw cushions everywhere!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £

• There are no magic cleaning fairies sadly. Pointing this out to my fellow residents merely makes for a very bad atmosphere and changes nothing. Options are wait for the boys to leave home and get divorced, or just roll my sleeves up and get on with it.

I am in exactly the same situation, no one but me seems to care whether the house is clean and tidy or not :mad:, so either I live alone, or I have to be the one who cleans and de-clutters.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I hate clutter and have spent hours in my life doing housework. I have a big clear out every year of everything
    I do not need .

The video is very interesting, hoarding is something I deal with regularly in my job and you would be surprised by the people who have hoarding problems they come from all walks of life. It is very debilitating for most of them. To clear a house takes an age and we are not always successful.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 10:27PM
    No-one noticed what I had done, even though they all came in that way - 100% fail over 4 people. That sums it up really, they simply don't see the mess, or the absence of mess.

I remembered that I have the £30 giftcard, well that can be used in a leading diy store so will go once I have my list and I have checked the shopping from garage option.

Pauline, I'm terrible for just letting the books stack up in the bedroom but at least I do not have a floordrobe despite the lack of storage.

We only have a tiny built in cupboard with a foot of hanging space each and no room for a real wardrobe at the moment. The hanging rail has really helped and we have stuck to the discipline of work clothes only on it, and all ironing done so you can see what you have.

The house is long and narrow (4 rooms long, 1 room deep if that makes sense) so most rooms have windows front and back which eats into the wall space. The walls are really thick so window ledges are a foot deep so they are stuff magnets. My pet hate is junk on the window ledges, instantly looks messy and cluttered. And the cats like to knock it off as it interrupts their planned programme of cat chess and wiping noses on windows.

Tonight I have fed people, filled the DW, sorted packed lunches, fed the animals, done a load of washing and S&S the worktops, again, and scrubbed the sink again - former stray cat loves the smell of bleach spray so she likes to sit in the sink afterwards, lovingly leaving muddy footprints. This may be why she was homeless!

ETA cumbria, one of my projects was to do with a service supporting ill people in their homes and I was surprised at just how common the problem was and how varied the help is depending on location.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

The house is long and narrow (4 rooms long, 1 room deep if that makes sense) so most rooms have windows front and back which eats into the wall space. The walls are really thick so window ledges are a foot deep so they are stuff magnets. My pet hate is junk on the window ledges, instantly looks messy and cluttered. And the cats like to knock it off as it interrupts their planned programme of cat chess and wiping noses on windows.

Tonight I have fed people, filled the DW, sorted packed lunches, fed the animals, done a load of washing and S&S the worktops, again, and scrubbed the sink again - former stray cat loves the smell of bleach spray so she likes to sit in the sink afterwards, lovingly leaving muddy footprints. This may be why she was homeless!

I'm sorry but I do love your cats!:rotfl:I've an image in my mind of them as sort of cartoon characters - a bit like Top Cat!

Your idea of a little bit of renovation at a time is a good one. I like your list for the back hall. Keep us posted as you go along.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • I agree your cats are hilarious :rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Thanks - they are very much my babies :grinheart

Bath water wasn't hot again last night. I'm hoping its madam knocking the dial down as she heaves herself up to sleep on the top. I've turned it up just in case but tomorrow must check the lagging is ok etc as littlecat and stray do like to sleep in the airing cupboard as well. Not at the same time obviously, as that would be very wrong.

Rubbish night, followed by three hours in the car and lots of short meetings makes for one very tired person so not a huge amount done this evening. DW done, packed lunches, etc. WFH for a couple of hours tomorrow but should be able to do more on the grand plan.

Had to fold lots of cardboard for recycling in the garage when I got in (that the recycling fairy had ignored), and had a rummage through the paint at the same time. Very little useful coloured paint, no white gloss but several tubs of white washable mould resistant. Exterior varnish so I can give the front door a top up too. Think I need to find a nice practical mud colour for the back hall. Dulux do one called muddy puddle that I quite like here

I also had a look on my (free trial) kndle unlmited and spotted an interiors magazine, and a couple on the local library app so I can flick through those for free. The other joy of that is its easy to use the tablet to take a screenshot of the things I do like rather than ending up with a stack of dusty magazines.

OH has reminded me of his willingness to sew curtains if I measure and cut the fabric. Have lots of fabric (bought in the £1/metre fabric mill clearance) but would need to buy thermal linings - 18 windows need the curtains replacing - all are ancient crumbling or mouldy beyond rescue. Most came with the house and had probably been up for 30 plus years. All of the windows are equally elderly and some are quite breezy. Can't replace without consent (conservation rather than listed), so until we win the lottery we are stuck with the 80s upvc that the previous vandal owners installed to replace the nice original windows.

Right, need to go and see if the hot water is hot.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback