Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?

Options

Comments

• realaledrinker
    realaledrinker Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My son won £25 a few years ago.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Me & my mother were both in it from day one until a few months ago. Neither of us won a penny.
  • StarShapedPeg
    Options
    Myself, my brother and my parents held around £10k each in qualifying accounts for many years and never won anything. I'd honestly forgotten all about it!
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    My son won £25 a few years ago.

When £100 has been the smallest prize? Impressive!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am sure there is another thread here about this, and someones relative won something big.

but I am not a lottery type person (although I have 100 of premium bonds and have won 150 lol).
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same position - been in from the start...square root of nothing
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In comparison, I win a £25 prize at least once a year (and sometimes more) with the NS&I Premium Bonds. This is in spite of having a higher amount invested in Halifax, as compared to NS&I
    They're not really comparable though, in that the Halifax is paying interest, whereas NS&I is not, so there are bound to be significantly fewer prizes.
    Stompa
  • the_mandarin
    the_mandarin Posts: 108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Based on the responses on this thread, I guess we can safely conclude that any money parked in Halifax should be on the basis of the interest rate alone - as the lure of any "prize" in their saver's draw is just a pipe dream!
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Based on the responses on this thread, I guess we can safely conclude that any money parked in Halifax should be on the basis of the interest rate alone - as the lure of any "prize" in their saver's draw is just a pipe dream!

Er, yes, obviously you should only assume money will rise according to the interest rate. The Halifax is a bank not a lottery company.

The "prize" really is a prize (no inverted commas necessary - they DO give out prizes). It's not just a pipe dream - a phrase that implies it is illusory. It isn't. You can win. Lot and lots of people have (just look at the number of winners on their winners page:
    We’ve already paid out over £42.9 million in prizes so far to 71,900 winners across Great Britain

Just because it's no-one you know doesn't make it a pipe dream, it just confirms the odds are small.

This was all, surely, obvious from the start?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Au contraire, a lottery is the perfect example of a pipe dream. When you buy a lottery ticket (or open a savings account which pays interest in lottery tickets instead of cash) you are buying a fantasy; the right to sit there dreaming about suddenly being rich, without actually doing anything that might lead to becoming rich. (Buying the lottery ticket doesn't count due to its infinitesimal probability.)

This is distinct from someone fantasising about getting rich by becoming a professional footballer or starting their own business or taking an Open University law degree, because there's a non-infinitestimal chance that their fantasy might lead to them actually going and doing it. Pipe dreams by contrast are the kind of dreams you have while lying in bed smoking an opium pipe, that lead to nothing as they vanish with the stupor.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback