Overhead power line compensation.

Comments

• Thanks for the info, also found this online so have emailed SSE requesting some details prior to making a decision.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity/AboutElectricity/DistributionCompanies/
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good luck. If you want any recommendations for solicitors or surveyors just ask.
  • Right solicitor is apointed (last week) just waiting for the power companies solicitors to get in touh with mine.

Now I Just wait to see how long it will take hopefully wont take too long as the figure has been agreed but we will see.
  • Rich67_2
    Rich67_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Still waiting at the moment...Anyoine got any ideas on how long this process takes they are currently drawing plans in the drawing office. I guess this will be to show where the lines run.
  • mobilejo
    Rich67 wrote: »
    Still waiting at the moment...Anyoine got any ideas on how long this process takes they are currently drawing plans in the drawing office. I guess this will be to show where the lines run.

lol, if they're anything like my clients then months. Around 3 months before it moves on to solicitor stage.
  • Today someone from Carrick & Co. (carrickco.co.uk) knocked at our door asking if we were interested in representation for claiming compensation for the overhead lines that SSE have recently agreed to pay up on.

I was a reluctant to fill out the forms and sign on the doorstep so he gave me the forms to contact them later, and I went searching online.

I did ask before he left why he thought we were eligible and to what amount. He said that whilst the lines don't actually cross our land they are around 6 feet away, enough to have a negative effect on the value of our home.

I'm curious now as to why there seems to be such a large difference in what they felt we may be entitled to, based on what I've read in this thread. So, if our home is worth £80,000 why is the estimate of £1500 so low by comparison? Is this due to our location, in Dundee, Scotland, is it due to the overhead cables not being directly over our land or is this just a conservative estimate we're likely to see rise if we go to a solicitor ourselves?

We're not looking to stay here for more than another 2 to 3 years which offers positive and negative points - there's no worry about what future health implications the lines may have but an easement, or scottish equivalent, may hinder the sale of the house later.

Can anyone offer an opinion on if consulting another solicitor would be advantageous and if my worry about the risk of a sale at a later stage is warranted?
  • mobilejo
    edited 13 March 2012 at 8:06PM
    BlairyBear wrote: »
    Today someone from Carrick & Co. (carrickco.co.uk) knocked at our door asking if we were interested in representation for claiming compensation for the overhead lines that SSE have recently agreed to pay up on.

I was a reluctant to fill out the forms and sign on the doorstep so he gave me the forms to contact them later, and I went searching online.

I did ask before he left why he thought we were eligible and to what amount. He said that whilst the lines don't actually cross our land they are around 6 feet away, enough to have a negative effect on the value of our home.

I'm curious now as to why there seems to be such a large difference in what they felt we may be entitled to, based on what I've read in this thread. So, if our home is worth £80,000 why is the estimate of £1500 so low by comparison? Is this due to our location, in Dundee, Scotland, is it due to the overhead cables not being directly over our land or is this just a conservative estimate we're likely to see rise if we go to a solicitor ourselves?

We're not looking to stay here for more than another 2 to 3 years which offers positive and negative points - there's no worry about what future health implications the lines may have but an easement, or scottish equivalent, may hinder the sale of the house later.

Can anyone offer an opinion on if consulting another solicitor would be advantageous and if my worry about the risk of a sale at a later stage is warranted?

Scottish property law is very different to ours, so I won't pretend to know much about how they go about granting easements in your part of the woods, but I imagine the technicalities of how they value your claim would be similar at least.

Here, the network operator I act for pays out about between 3-4% of property value if the lines actually cross your land, and about £1,500 apx if they don't but are close enough that they may swing into the airspace directly above your land. Sounds like you are in the latter category.

You won't be offered more going direct, you will just not have to pay a commission and so you will keep more. That is, if Carrick charge a commission?

Any solicitor will know within 5 minutes of reviewing the easement if you are being asked waive any rights for claims regarding health problems. I haven't seen an SSE deed so couldn't say for definite, but I would put money on the fact that it doesn't attempt to do this - no one would ever sign them if they did!
  • mobilejo wrote: »
    Scottish property law is very different to ours, so I won't pretend to know much about how they go about granting easements in your part of the woods, but I imagine the technicalities of how they value your claim would be similar at least.

Here, the network operator I act for pays out about between 3-4% of property value if the lines actually cross your land, and about £1,500 apx if they don't but are close enough that they may swing into the airspace directly above your land. Sounds like you are in the latter category.

You won't be offered more going direct, you will just not have to pay a commission and so you will keep more. That is, if Carrick charge a commission?

Any solicitor will know within 5 minutes of reviewing the easement if you are being asked waive any rights for claims regarding health problems. I haven't seen an SSE deed so couldn't say for definite, but I would put money on the fact that it doesn't attempt to do this - no one would ever sign them if they did!

That's great to know, thanks. It does sound as if he was working off of the assumption they would award £1500 because the line didn't actually cross.

Carrick charge a 12.5% commission so I'll probably speak to a solicitor once I figure which ones local now about this kind of thing.

Thanks again for the help.
  • Rich67_2
    Rich67_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Just a quick update for anyone who may be interested.

The electric company have advised today that the matter has been refered to their solicitor for completion.

Hopefully wont be too long now.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interestingly I have just got a letter from PPC about this and there is certainly power lines over the end of our garden, which is the best route to take, if any?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts