Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Also received an email from MSE cheap energy club to switch from Igloo energy to Bulb energy this would cost me an extra £16 per year they also recommended EDF which would be an additional £86 per year. (These figures are also from their comparison site) The customer service from Igloo has so far been second to none as I am almost instantly connected on the phone or quickly replied by email. I have to give my reading once a month but receive the up to date bill within hours.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    How does the cheap energy club work when there is a snag in the switching process?
    A few days ago I applied to switch from npower to edf via cec. Yesterday EDF contacted me to tell me that npower had blocked the switch and that they will try again in 2 weeks time. I talked to npower who admitted they had made an error and have dropped the block so that the switch can now go ahead. Will my cashback be affected by this or will EDF trying again in two weeks still be regarded as part of the original cec switch and hence still qualify for the cashback?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thor wrote: »
    How does the cheap energy club work when there is a snag in the switching process?
    A few days ago I applied to switch from npower to edf via cec. Yesterday EDF contacted me to tell me that npower had blocked the switch and that they will try again in 2 weeks time. I talked to npower who admitted they had made an error and have dropped the block so that the switch can now go ahead. Will my cashback be affected by this or will EDF trying again in two weeks still be regarded as part of the original cec switch and hence still qualify for the cashback?
    As long as the switch actually takes place, you should get your cashback. Switching times vary, anyway, between suppliers.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I find the latest email from the Cheap Energy Club more than a little confusing. It very much promotes the MSE big switch 10 as if all the negotiating power of MSE has secured a special low deal but if I click on both the links on the email I get.

Big switch 10 (bulb energy) will save me £174 a year
    Full market comparison shows Eversmartenergy will save me £229 a year
    Both have no exit fees.

So it would appear that I can get a cheaper tariff with no negotiation and no special MSE entry. The last time a year ago I went with green star specialy negotiated by MSE only to have time consuming problems and hear many tales of appalling service which I fully expect will happen to me again (which I am dreading) when I try to leave.

So the questions are, why would I select a more expensive tariff ? and
    Why were MSE negotiations so poor that they ended up with tariffs greater than can be obtained on the open market?

Please tell me am I missing something?
  • Consumerist
    . . . Why were MSE negotiations so poor that they ended up with tariffs greater than can be obtained on the open market?
    Please tell me am I missing something?
    I guess the short answer is that those suppliers who offer the cheapest tariffs do not have the resources to undertake switching the relatively large numbers which would switch in the short period expected by "Big" switches. :)
  • seront
    seront Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have used the Cheap Energy Club to get a deal with EDF. I got a letter from EDF saying details were wrong. It appears I did a typo when I joined MSE years ago.
    I asked EDF to change the details but they said they could not as it is part of a deal with MSE.
    I tried to change my details on MSE but was not allowed as a deal was in progress.
    I am in the position of nearing the end of my current deal but unable to progress with EDF and unable to change details with MSE so I can progress.
    PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.
  • seront wrote: »
    I have used the Cheap Energy Club to get a deal with EDF. I got a letter from EDF saying details were wrong. It appears I did a typo when I joined MSE years ago.
    I asked EDF to change the details but they said they could not as it is part of a deal with MSE.
    I tried to change my details on MSE but was not allowed as a deal was in progress.
    I am in the position of nearing the end of my current deal but unable to progress with EDF and unable to change details with MSE so I can progress.
    PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.

How about here?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/faqs/how-do-i-report-an-energy-club-issue/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    seront wrote: »

Exactly which details are you trying to change?
  • Consumerist
    edited 24 April 2018 at 4:03PM
    seront wrote: »
    . . . PS MSE is definitely user unfriendly due to the lack of being able to contact them for problems.
    You can email them at:

energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • seront
    seront Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My house number. I joined years ago but made a typo and put an eight (8) instead of a six (6).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback