Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• gnasher wrote:
    Plus, for anyone reading this in Wales the situation is different, as there was a Revaluation done there in 2005, so it is now based on the value of the house on 1st April 2003.

The same was supposed to happen in England, but as Council Tax bills in Wales on average increased (more than the usual annual increase) they didn't go ahead with it. Well, it was an election year, after all.

Sir Michael Lyons is supposed to be investigating remedies for this, and an ever-increasing list of things, in his balance of funding enquiry. Due to report probably just in time for the Tories to get in power and ignore his findings, presumably.

I live in wales, and as you say, we were rebanded in 2005, which meant we now pay £8 per month less.

Now, as we are MSE's, i have began to think, should we have had, or could we apply for a retrospective refund?

I know we were fortunate to have a lower banding, but if i have been overpaying for 9 years, i would like something back.

Anybody?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • It worked! Two months ago I first noticed this thread, so checked & realized we were languishing in band F whilst all our neighbors enjoyed Band E. So I appealed and they advised me it would take two months to do anything about it. In true council style they held to their word and didnt finish it early, but on Monday our band was adjusted to an E. I now have to send this new valuation to the council and await our refund, but it will be from 2001 so that should be a big help. My husband just made a huge purchase lately and we can use the cash to replenish the savings account. Im so happy! Ill report back on how much we get when I find out. Will probably take them another 2 months to even look at this.
    Debt & Mortgage free...
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    It worked! Two months ago I first noticed this thread, so checked & realized we were languishing in band F whilst all our neighbors enjoyed Band E. So I appealed and they advised me it would take two months to do anything about it. In true council style they held to their word and didnt finish it early, but on Monday our band was adjusted to an E. I now have to send this new valuation to the council and await our refund, but it will be from 2001 so that should be a big help. My husband just made a huge purchase lately and we can use the cash to replenish the savings account. Im so happy! Ill report back on how much we get when I find out. Will probably take them another 2 months to even look at this.

Well done Scully's girl!. Well done on getting a refund and rebanding.

Halloweenqueen do you have your refund yet?

Anyone new looking at this thread also look at the closed thread there's lots of good information on there.

Maisie.. OP
  • gnasher
    gnasher Posts: 15 Forumite
    Essenchill wrote:
    Help!
    They have come back saying my claim is invalid as 'You did not make your proposal within the statutory time limits specified in the council tax legislation'. I take this to mean the 'within 6 months of moving in' which Martin mentions in the article. But he says this isn't law and regardless of how long I've lived here there should still be a way of appealing the decision.

I have to appeal within four weeks. What my next move, what do I argue?

see the post at the top of this page, you could try that approach - i have studied the law and there is a statutory period after which an appeal is invalid, but i am not au fait with what happens in practise, if the above approach is acceptable.

You cannot appeal to the VO against the decision that the proposal is out of time - but you can appeal to a Valuations Tribunal. Whether you will get a different decision or not i do not know.
  • gnasher
    gnasher Posts: 15 Forumite
    further to the above, the regs say the limit is within 6 months of an interested party becoming a 'new taxpayer', so if the VOA are taking this to the letter the rule, and there are more adults living in the address than actually named on the bill you could ask the council to add them to the bill and then presumably THEY could appeal...

Obviously everyone present in the address should have been billed orginally, and I suppose to be proper and correct anyone making a proposal should have moved in with you within the last 6 months. This is probably a bit dodgy otherwise so i wouldn't advise it if this is not the case.
    But it makes no difference to your bill if there are more than 2 providing neither are disregarded for any reason.

Also you don't need to worry about the band being increased unless there has been a 'material transaction' ie a sale, since the property was orginally banded. You could add all kinds of extensions to your house and it won't affect you, only the people you sell it to.

I'll see if i can find out about getting a refund for in Wales after the revaluation but your council should be able to tell you if you contact them - i would presume the situation is the same as if the original band was found too high on appeal in which case you're entitled to the reduction from the date the dwelling came into the list...
  • jennynoo
    jennynoo Posts: 1,516 Forumite
    Hello!

This is my first post! I wanted to let everyone know my good news. In my building there are 12 flats and I noticed that two were on a lower band than mine (all flats are the same).

I have been in my flat more than 6 months so when I first filled in the online form I got a letter saying I was too late but that they would look into it anyway. I got another letter later saying I was too late but could appeal if I wanted to. I didn't bother but then just the other day I got a letter saying my band had been changed and they had notified the council. So I'm writing a letter to all my neighbours and waiting to hear if I will get any money back.

I feel so empowered by the whole thing that even if I don't get money back it's a good feeling :)
    :heart:Mum to DD born Oct 2009 :heart:
    :j DS born April 2013 :j
    Breastfeeding peer supporter with the breastfeeding network. National breastfeeding helpline 0300 100 0212.
    :question: Ask me if you have any baby feeding questions :question:
  • Essenchill
    Essenchill Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow, that sounds very lucky jennynoo and I guess I'm in exactly the same situation and so should sit tight, sounds risky but two people now in my situation seem to say the same thing, the council just decided it was fairer to lower it without appeal being made. Keep us posted if you do get a refund! If it comes back that nothing is to change, I may lodge an appeal under fairness as the post on the top of this page recommends so thanks gb39, gnasher and jennynoo!!
  • Pere_Ubu
    Pere_Ubu Posts: 220 Forumite
    Essenchill wrote:
    Help!
    Just got a reply after going on the website and explaining on there the reason I felt we should have a revaluation. The flat I live in is part of a refurb of a house into flats which was carried out over the last two years. Looking on the website, some of the other flats in the building are in band A and we're paying band B. I challenged it saying a) the house has been turned into flats and b) other flats are on a cheaper rate. They have come back saying my claim is invalid as 'You did not make your proposal within the statutory time limits specified in the council tax legislation'. I take this to mean the 'within 6 months of moving in' which Martin mentions in the article. But he says this isn't law and regardless of how long I've lived here there should still be a way of appealing the decision.

I have to appeal within four weeks. What my next move, what do I argue?

I thought that if you were out of the time limit (6 months) you could get round this by saying they have a duty to keep the list up to date?
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    jennynoo wrote:
    Hello!

This is my first post! I wanted to let everyone know my good news. In my building there are 12 flats and I noticed that two were on a lower band than mine (all flats are the same).

I have been in my flat more than 6 months so when I first filled in the online form I got a letter saying I was too late but that they would look into it anyway. I got another letter later saying I was too late but could appeal if I wanted to. I didn't bother but then just the other day I got a letter saying my band had been changed and they had notified the council. So I'm writing a letter to all my neighbours and waiting to hear if I will get any money back.

I feel so empowered by the whole thing that even if I don't get money back it's a good feeling :)

Well done jennynoo. Hope you get a massive refund.

Pass the word on to check banding. https://www.voa.gov.uk

Maisie..... O poster
  • Pere_Ubu wrote:
    I thought that if you were out of the time limit (6 months) you could get round this by saying they have a duty to keep the list up to date?

You are right. If you are out of time, the VOA have a duty to maintain an accurate List. If you have any problems speak to the Group Customer Service Manager and get them to look into it. Also make sure that they record your telephone call on their computer system called CCR. This will mean that you will have an official call and they will have to respond fully within certain time limits.
    Any opinions voiced are entirely my own and in no way represent those of anyone but me.

Check your Council Tax Band on the VOA Website as you could save 1000's - http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/cti_home.htm
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback