Argos returns policy for furniture

Does anyone have experience of Argos returns policy for furniture? I am shopping for office chairs and have seen a couple in Argos that look suitable, but without being able to sit in them, I cannot tell if they are suitable or, importantly, comfortable.

The Argos website's description of their returns policy implies that if I take it out of the box and build it (the chairs require some assembly), then there may not be a full refund.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,341
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You mean the bit about 'excessive handling' ? I'd have a word with them and check - what you say is entirely logical and I'm sure they will have a sensible take on it (not least to comply with the law, which is quite clear about the need to take things out of their packaging to try - which in the case of furniture must surely include assembling).
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Marcon wrote: »
    You mean the bit about 'excessive handling' ? I'd have a word with them and check - what you say is entirely logical and I'm sure they will have a sensible take on it (not least to comply with the law, which is quite clear about the need to take things out of their packaging to try - which in the case of furniture must surely include assembling).

But the "purpose" of the law is to bring online sales in line with in store returns. Generally in a shop environment you get to look at something before you buy it. The excessive handling provisions allow you to have the same look at something you buy online before deciding whether to keep it.

In Argos you would not be able to sit in an office chair before you buy it. It's reasonable therefore that they may consider building the chair and sitting in it at home to be excessive handling, and therefore may not give you a full refund if you choose return.

I would suggest buying from somewhere you can try it before you buy.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Two observations ...

1. Why doesn't OP go to an Argos store and ask to try out the chair?

2. Office chairs ... is this for use in an office (i.e. a business purchase)? If yes then Consumer rights won't apply ... it would be a B2B transaction and so fall within relevant portions of the Sale of Goods Act (with the requirements able to be contracted out).
  • dukeybabes
    dukeybabes Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 August 2018 at 11:48AM
    For the record, I queried this with Argos via their online help.
    "If you purchased an item, assembled it and you didn't like it, I'm afraid it wouldn't be able to be returned for a refund. However, if you purchased the item online and it was delivered to you, you can return it for a full refund under the Consumer Contracts Regulations even if you have assembled it."

I did ask in a store about trying a chair and they looked at me as if I were robbing the store.

The chair is for personal use.

Looks like I can click and collect it, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure