I want to stop drowning

Comments

• debtaghh wrote: »
    No sorry I meant to allocate for food. I know my family
    are bad but not that bad!
    Ohhhhh okay :rotfl: sorry, I misread it! I was wondering if you guys were building pirate forts out of it or something :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ohhhhh okay :rotfl: sorry, I misread it! I was wondering if you guys were building pirate forts out of it or something :rotfl:

:rotfl: maybe that's where my money has gone.
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    :rotfl: That's made me laugh tonight :rotfl:

Are your Dh and dd genuinely hungry an hour after eating or is it a habit? I'm awful once the boys are in bed. I could eat constantly. I'm definitely not hungry though, it's mainly habit I think.

Do you buy a lot of branded food like your cereal and bread? I always say I'm happy to try a value product once. If I don't like it, I'll try something else, but if I like it then it's a success and money saved. I also bulk meals out with cheaper ingredient such as grated carrot or courgette into bolognese, or add lentils as well as mince. This could either get you an extra portion or would mean everyone eating that little bit more so no excuses that they're hungry.

It is difficult, though, and I'm dreading seeing my food bill once my boys are both teenagers!
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • debtaghh
    I don't think it is hunger and just think it is us being pigs. I don't buy many branded cereals as I mainly shop in Aldi.

Thanks for the spag Bol tip .
  • debtaghh
    Morning,

I have been really thinking about food shopping a lot as I want to eat healthier and I don't think I can do it less than £80 a week. This is allocating £10 to meat and £25 to fruit and veg. I think I'll put that as my budget and see how I go. New month for us tomorrow ( pay wise ) so will cash out £80 per week for food.
  • debtaghh
    I was allocating £320 but that only covers 4 weeks so am going to allocate £400 per month and months where there are 4 weeks I'll put the money to one side for Xmas food, bday cakes and extra holiday food etc
  • debtaghh
    I may have to scrap that as we have just found out DH Tesco deal ends in Dec and will go to 26.9%:eek:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    You need to get your DH and DD on board with the budgeting on food if they are eating in between meals. No one should be eating from hunger an hour after a main meal. That sounds like habit, boredom or emotional eating. I would speak to them or at least your DH and tell them that financially you are now in dire straits with credit cards coming to end of promotional rates. Your DD should be getting herself a job anyway as she is 16 now isn't she? They are also the ones who don't want to move to a cheaper area aren't they? You cannot do this on your own.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • debtaghh
    I have had that conversation already and told dh I'm not buying snacks. My dd has applied for jobs and had a few unsuccessful interviews. I think now she actually wants one as she realises we are not buying her things!
  • I budget £425 a month for food for 4 of us and usually come in at about that or sometimes a bit under. I've had a really cheap month this month as we have an allotment - grossly underused as we've only just took it on, but its been really good for things like potatoes, salad stuff. Not the right time to start now, but might be worth a thought for next year.

I have a husband and 2 lads age 10 and 11 who are big eaters and adult size physically and eat as much if not more than I do. My budget has to cover all our toiletries and cleaning stuff too. Its included packed lunches for my husband for work and also a packed lunch for one son.

We are big eaters and snackers too, and the kids are happy with what they get on this budget.

I shop mainly at aldi and home bargains, but some meat comes from the local butcher. They do a savings card, so I save £46 on that, they add £4 to it, and when I get the £50 I stock the freezer up. I try and co-incide this with deals they have like spend £20 and get a free whole chicken.

We are also members at costco, so any bulk purchases like toilet rolls are done there. There own brand toilet roll works out about 25p a roll.

Meals are a variety of dishes - curry, soup, stir fry, omlette, spag bol, tuna pasta bake, tagine, home made meatballs. My lads always feel fuller if they have a bread based thing to go with it like a garlic bread or naan bread. I am going to start trying to make some wraps and naan breads myself to see if that can help the budget further.

Snacks - fruit, I always keep in plenty of crackers, carrot or cucumber sticks. I bake sometimes for the kids but its not every week. I will pack up the odd pack of biscuits, or they like snacking on things like banana chips.

I find it hard to stick to the budget as the temptation is always there to get something nice, or a bottle of wine for the weekend, but I try and count my shopping up in my head as I am going round the shop and have an idea in mind of I want to spend X amount.

If its a tight month, something I will do is try and delay going shopping for a couple of days and using up stuff out the cupboard. It could mean you only do 2 big shops in 3 weeks rather than one a week. That only works if you don't go silly doing a top up shop in between. I sometimes send hubbie for the top up shop as he really does only get what is on the list.

Hope some of that is useful to you. Its not nice thinking that money has to come off the food budget. Food is a necessity, so its about getting the best for your money. Good luck whatever challenge you set yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback