Needing some help with redundancy and when to apply for JSA

Hi all. I was told on Monday 13th Aug my store is closing (permanently) on Saturday 25th Aug. At the meeting we were told they were giving us 30 days notice, for which we will be paid for. My last shift is this coming Wednesday 22nd and i'll be paid until Wed 12th Sept (End of the 30 days notice)

When should I make a claim at with the job centre? After my last working shift (Wed 22nd) or when the stop paying me/notice is up?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 August 2018 at 5:27PM
    When your employment comes to an end and you meet eligibility criteria for benefit. It might be Universal Credit ?

If you have paid National Insurance contributions for at least 26 weeks over the last 3 tax years, then you should be able to claim New Style JSA contributions based benefit and therefore no Job Centre regular appointments required. Look into it.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In this case it would most likely be when you receive your last pay, rather than when you actually finish work this week.
    If you've paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years then you'll be able to claim Contributions based JSA. If your area is a full Universal Credit area then you'll need to claim New style contributions based JSA.
    See link which explains NI Contributions.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jobseekers-allowance
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you are in a Universal Credit are and claim new style JSA you will need to claim Universal Credit as well if you want help with paying rent.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure