Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep quiet about my 'free' broadband?

2»

Comments

• Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tell them, otherwise it will bite you on the bum at a later date.........
  • cmotd
    cmotd Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Happened to me with another broadband supplier several years ago. I told them about their error by recorded delivery and secure message but they still didn't take payment for over a year.

I did the following to cover myself:
    1) kept copies and proof of delivery of my messages.
    2) kept hard copy of bank details to prove direct debit was active.
    3) paid the amount of the monthly bill into a savings account so it was readily available if needed to pay them in a lump sum, earning interest in the meantime.

They twigged eventually and started to send me threatening letters so I sent them one in return, saying I would report them to Ofcom and included all the proofs above. They apologized, wrote the debt off and gave me another 3 months free - result!

So, give them just one chance to put it right - if they don't start charging you after that then follow the bottom covering steps I have listed and all should be well.
  • Had a similar experience with a Sky broadband and TV bundle a while ago. Eventually decided to own up by phone after several months of agonising about it. They thanked me and waived the several months that they had missed payments. Still wonder if they would ever have realised. Saved me several hundred pounds though.
  • McClane54
    McClane54 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had it with sky for 3 years until I moved house, I wouldn't say anything
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I imagine that, sooner or later, Vodafone will discover their oversight, but capitalizing on a genuine error isn't cricket, is it? Wouldn't it be better all round and honest on your part if you drew the mistake to their attention? After all, you're getting what you wanted, and you must have expected to pay for the service when you ordered it.

If all other Vodafone customers in a similar situation kept quiet, it would only mean that it's income per customer would be likely to rise on reassessment to meet the extra costs of servicing. You might argue that Vodafone already makes good profits, but that's what it is in business for.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ring up and tell them. If they don't start collecting the money within the month (along with the arrears), make a formal complaint. Keep complaining until they collect what is owed.

They will collect the money eventually and any marginal benefit for holding onto the money is not worth the hassle of keeping track of how much the debt is, the potential for a mark on your credit file or the stress of eventually getting threatening letters.
  • Put the cash aside - perhaps in an ISA. You're under no obligation to tell them, but have the money ready just in case.
  • Vodaphone won't let you get away with that indefinitely! I would speak to them if I were you.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Vodaphone won't let you get away with that indefinitely! I would speak to them if I were you.

Ah yes, but we are talking about Vodafone here, not Vodaphone!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure