Abbey National PPI claim rejected...

I had a mortgate with Abbey National just before the Dotcom bust. I'm pretty sure I had some form of PPI on the mortgage, but I remember whatever I had being useless and I lost my home when I lost my job. Now Santander own Abbey National and I've done a PPI check request with them via resolver and they've simpy come back and said that they no longer hold the records as it's more than six years ago and there is nothing more to be done.

I found some old documentation - an Annual Statement from 2000 that describe the mortgate as 'Endowment Mortgage Plan (low cost) with Critical Illness Benefit) and an account number and provided this with them and they declined a second time.

Any advise on how to proceed gratefully received.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I found some old documentation - an Annual Statement from 2000 that describe the mortgate as 'Endowment Mortgage Plan (low cost) with Critical Illness Benefit) and an account number and provided this with them and they declined a second time.

So no mention of PPI then. That is why they didnt change the outcome.
    Any advise on how to proceed gratefully received.

If you have nothing and they have nothing then its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    BadMoles wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I had some form of PPI on the mortgage
    You need to be more than "pretty sure", in order to have a successful complaint either you or the Bank need to have a record of an actual PPI policy. It appears neither of you do.
    BadMoles wrote: »
    I found some old documentation - an Annual Statement from 2000 that describe the mortgate as 'Endowment Mortgage Plan (low cost) with Critical Illness Benefit)
    Critical Illness cover is not Payment Protection Insurance I'm afraid. Mortgage PPI is short term insurance in case of unemployment or sickness.
    It's important to realise that not every insurance policy is PPI and that not even all PPI was mis-sold.
  • Thanks for the quick response - confirming what I thought actually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure