hi i had my pip home assessment done today at lunch time 1pm today
and worried about few things she made me do stuff i couldnt do
and wanted know what i watched on tv

now big question is i just had a text from dwp saying they had my report
is this a bit quick and its now 5pm does this sound like bad news

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Its hard to know without more details about what they asked you to do in relation to the reason(s)you were claiming.
    As for the timing again in this day and age of email its possible that it gives no clue.
  • silentwolf
    silentwolf Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    im waiting on neurology tests at moment i can not use left hand at all
    have pain in spine shoulders and legs am on amitripyline and zapain

she asked me put hands behind my back which couldnt do and move neck told me stand up which i was wobbling as also have crutches and touch knees which i struggled with
    than asked where i got crutches from and told her i have mri appointment in 2 weeks on knees

she asked about my pets and cooking and cleaning which my adult daughter has to do due to hands
    and daughter was with me during report
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    silentwolf wrote: »
    im waiting on neurology tests at moment i can not use left hand at all
    have pain in spine shoulders and legs am on amitripyline and zapain

she asked me put hands behind my back which couldnt do and move neck told me stand up which i was wobbling as also have crutches and touch knees which i struggled with
    than asked where i got crutches from and told her i have mri appointment in 2 weeks on knees

she asked about my pets and cooking and cleaning which my adult daughter has to do due to hands
    and daughter was with me during report
    They send 2 reports back, 1 digital and the other paper. The digital one can be sent back on the day of the assessment yes, even though that does seem rather quick. Even more so as your assessment was only at 1pm. It really doesn't mean anything though, all it means really is that it was returned quickly. If a mobile number was put down on the form, they will update you at each stage, this part is perfectly normal. They will also send you another text when they have all the information they need to make a decision.

If a claimant is claiming for physical reasons then it's completely normal to be asked to do those sort of things, but if they caused you pain and discomfort then you should have refused to do them.

I believe the reason you were asked where you got your crutches from was because buying them yourself means they're not classed as an aid. At least that's what i've heard. I use a stick, which was given to me quite a few years ago by an Occupational Therapist.

The questions about pets and housework were most likely all trick questions. They are known to say that if you have a dog, you must walk this dog and therefore can't have any issues with walking. Ridiculous i know!

Did you send in relevant evidence to support your claim? Future appointment dates aren't classed as evidence because they don't mean anything. They very rarely contact anyone for evidence, the onus is always on you to make sure it's sent.

Leave it until middle of next week, then ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that report. It's always handy to have also if you have to go down the Mandatory reconsideration route, if a decision doesn't go in your favour.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »

I believe the reason you were asked where you got your crutches from was because buying them yourself means they're not classed as an aid. At least that's what i've heard. I use a stick, which was given to me quite a few years ago by an Occupational Therapist.
    I certainly hope that that is incorrect - otherwise what about wheelchairs and mobility scooters ?
    Do they only count if supplied by the NHS ?
  • poppy12345
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I certainly hope that that is incorrect - otherwise what about wheelchairs and mobility scooters ?
    Do they only count if supplied by the NHS ?
    The use of wheelchairs/scooters are not classed as aids for walking.

Individuals who require a wheelchair or similar device to move a distance should not be considered able to stand and move.
  • Mike44
    Mike44 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    My wife had her assessment at the end of June. She used a privately purchased 4 wheel travellor (walking frame) during the assessment. No questions as to where it came from and no problems re it being an aid. It is obvious as she walks that she needs to use it. She was awarded 10 points for mobility by both the assessor and Decision Maker.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2018 at 3:03PM
    Options

Individuals who require a wheelchair or similar device to move a distance should not be considered able to stand and move.

Wheelchairs ARE classed as an aid !
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    2.1.20 In this context:
    *aids and appliances are devices which improve, provide or replace the claimants impaired physical or mental function, for example walking sticks to enable a claimant to move reliably, grab rails to assist with balance, wheelchairs to replace mobilising or liquid level indicators to substitute for sight when pouring liquid
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options

The questions about pets and housework were most likely all trick questions. They are known to say that if you have a dog, you must walk this dog and therefore can't have any issues with walking. Ridiculous i know!

These points aren't quite correct. If you purchased your own equipment it may not have followed an assessment of need by a professional, but that doesn't mean it isn't considered an aid, just means the assessor themselves judges a little more whether you really need what you're saying you use. I bought my own wheel chair and bath aids etc, because that meant I got what I needed when I needed it (was assessed for an NHS wheelchair 20 years ago), all were included in my PIP report and points awarded appropriately

The pet questions are not 'trick' questions, they're part of gaining a picture of your life and limitations. Again I have two large energetic dogs, I was awarded enhanced mobility, because I can take only a few steps

Using a wheelchair doesn't mean you're assessed as not being able to stand and move, many people who use a wheelchair can stand and move a short distance and we are still assessed the same as everyone else on our ability to do so.

OP my report was received within a couple of hours too, don't read anything in to it.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Wheelchairs ARE classed as an aid !
    Read my comment again.... what i said was this...

Meaning that if a person uses a wheelchair then they should be considered as NOT to be able to walk that distance at all. For PIP at least, but not for ESA.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only if that wheelchair is prescribed medically. I can walk perfectly fine but could still go out tomorrow and buy a wheelchair. Having a wheelchair in itself doesn't indicate and inability to walk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure