eBay parcel 'delivered' yet not received. Way forward?

I was hoping to not have to come here asking about this as i'm aware i've made a few threads recently but it's got to the stage where i'm going to have to try others for advice.

Relative bought item on eBay and a good amount of time has passed with no sign of item. The date given (by eBay?) has passed, so they got in touch with the seller.

Seller then provides tracker ID, courier used was Yodel and says that it's been delivered.

Relative assures them it hasn't, that they've been in touch with neighbours, yes they have checked sheds, porch's, in the bin so on & so forth and it's not there.

Seller tells relative to call Yodel and ask them. This is done only for after 40 minutes of being on hold to be told - we'll speak with the driver and call you back. When this call back will be who knows but seemingly not today.

I know sometimes drivers photo their drop off (not that they can't pick the parcel back up again and disappear) but the seller seems unhelpful when it comes to tracking this down. I don't know whether they're right in what they're saying but it seems a bit of a sort it out yourself attitude.

Where to go from here really?

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you paid by Paypal do a claim. Paypal will require extreme proof from seller or buyers case gets upheld.

For sellers of high value items there's a new Paypal scam in town: After 4 months Parcelforce/RM delete tracking info from their websites. So the scammers put their Paypal reclaim in after 5 months (yes that's permitted). When Paypal checks the tracking ref the site says, no record and buyer gets refund.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »
    If you paid by Paypal do a claim. Paypal will require extreme proof from seller or buyers case gets upheld.

For sellers of high value items there's a new Paypal scam in town: After 4 months Parcelforce/RM delete tracking info from their websites. So the scammers put their Paypal reclaim in after 5 months (yes that's permitted). When Paypal checks the tracking ref the site says, no record and buyer gets refund.

What new rules about extreme tracking are these?

OP this is a difficult one as it is near impossible for a buyer to win an eBay or PayPal claim where item tracks as delivered. I know that your relative has no contract with the courier but if seller is being unhelpful you may need to be persistent, try using social media to get some attention from the courier , you need to know where it was left and how they are going to proceed if this has been lost or stolen having just been left somewhere and not handed over.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • 03/12/18
    09:30

Your parcel has been delivered through your letterbox

03/12/18
    06:36

Your parcel is with one of our drivers for delivery

02/12/18
    02:27

Your parcel is at your local depot

01/12/18
    07:08

Your parcel has arrived at your local depot

30/11/18
    19:27

Your parcel is in transit

30/11/18
    19:05

Your parcel is at our sort centre

24/11/18
    00:00

Your parcel will be with us soon

That's the order of play. I suppose they could've been posted through the letterbox although i would be a little surprised.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's the order of play. I suppose they could've been posted through the letterbox although i would be a little surprised.

Are you familiar with your relative's house layout and letterbox location? Could it have been got at by the dog, or fallen into the log box or whatever?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • MissRox
    MissRox Posts: 10 Forumite
    You will never find it because it wasn't sent to you. It's a scam and I'm surprised that most people still don't know about it. I will not explain how I came to this conclusion as it's a long story, but if you want, take a look at the first post on my profile, it's easy to find. It's quite sad that this is happening so often, it's almost impossible to avoid now. Only works with Yodel though. Oh and you might want to tell your relative to check their phone bill. Yodel's customer service agents are only there to prolong the call as much as possible.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Op, post 3 is correct here.

My advice to your relative is to speak again with the seller and explain, ask them to dispute the delivery with the carrier. You need the seller onside really as they have the contract with the carrier. Get them to double check the postal address was correct.

Give say 72 hours for a response and if nothing happens open and iNR on ebay.

ebay WILL rule in favour of the seller. This is an automated system and the seller's tracking will win the case.

At this stage an appeal needs to be made, with any evidence* the buyer has - you really do need some - and lodge the appeal. ebay will usually reimburse out of their pocket and cover the buyer assuming they haven't made a claim like this before. It is not a guarantee thought.

*this could be anything that helps:
    is there anything on the tracking that proves it was delivered to a specific address - if not point that out.
    does the item fit through a letterbox?
    what have the carrier said to you from social media/emails?
  • buglawton
    soolin wrote: »
    What new rules about extreme tracking are these?

OP this is a difficult one as it is near impossible for a buyer to win an eBay or PayPal claim where item tracks as delivered. I know that your relative has no contract with the courier but if seller is being unhelpful you may need to be persistent, try using social media to get some attention from the courier , you need to know where it was left and how they are going to proceed if this has been lost or stolen having just been left somewhere and not handed over.
    Since Paypal split from eBay, PayPal's refund rules changed.
    The detailed story 26 minutes into this You and Yours radio episode
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001fvl
    (Regrettably you now have to look log into the BBC)
    shows how it now works - super protection for buyers.

Basically a buyer can claim non-delivery even 5 months after a purchase on eBay or a forum.

Scammers know that Parcelforce drop your tracking info from their website after 4 months. When a seller appeals against such a late refund claim all Paypal system will do is check that online tracking and decide in favour of the buyer. The seller has to constantly chase Paypal on the phone.

The example in the radio clip involved 5 appeals by the seller - screen prints from Parcelforce emails, copy of whole email trail, etc. He eventually had to get a letterheaded proof of delivery from Parcelforce. The seller did all this due item value being over £1000. Scammers will try this on for items of any value and many sellers will give up.

So, soolin, I hope that's enough detail about extreme tracking - that favours the buyer - that may be needed for you.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    buglawton wrote: »
    Since Paypal split from eBay, PayPal's refund rules changed.
    The detailed story 26 minutes into this You and Yours radio episode
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001fvl
    (Regrettably you now have to look log into the BBC)
    shows how it now works - super protection for buyers.

Basically a buyer can claim non-delivery even 5 months after a purchase on eBay or a forum.

Scammers know that Parcelforce drop your tracking info from their website after 4 months. When a seller appeals against such a late refund claim all Paypal system will do is check that online tracking and decide in favour of the buyer. The seller has to constantly chase Paypal on the phone.

The example in the radio clip involved 5 appeals by the seller - screen prints from Parcelforce emails, copy of whole email trail, etc. He eventually had to get a letterheaded proof of delivery from Parcelforce. The seller did all this due item value being over £1000. Scammers will try this on for items of any value and many sellers will give up.

So, soolin, I hope that's enough detail about extreme tracking - that favours the buyer - that may be needed for you.

None of that explains your comment that buyer can win when tracking shows delivery?

Also you are mixing up claims. An INR claim requires proof of delivery but can be time limited. The more common reason for a PayPal claim after 5 months is for fraudulent use of a card, and that does not need proof of delivery to defend, merely proof of posting to PayPal address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Regards the layout, if it got delivered through the letterbox then it would've been stepped on as they walked in. I go to the house weekly. The letterbox leads in to an extension.

The item is bonnet struts. https://www.google.com/search?q=bonnet+struts&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjssdDZwZLfAhWosqQKHbp5DdQQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=946 Now depending on how this was packaged then yes it's possible to fit these through the letterbox. I'd have thought they'd get packaged up in such a way to make them too bulky for a letterbox but i could very well be wrong.
    I recently ordered a fish tank thermometer and had to pick it up from my local depot as it was too bulky for the letterbox :)

TOWIU - what's the point in opening a INR if eBay will rule in the sellers favour anyway?
    And what evidence could the buyer possibly have? They've ordered an item, an item hasn't arrived yet courier says it has. How could they possibly prove it hasn't?

The address has been checked off and it's been sent to the correct one. Whether they put the correct address on the package is another matter but the address the seller gave matches the one it should've arrived at.

Regards the tracking - you have to enter the tracker ID along with the post code so i guess that means it's arrived somewhere at that post code.

They've been contacted on twitter 12hrs ago - no response yet.
  • buglawton
    soolin wrote: »
    None of that explains your comment that buyer can win when tracking shows delivery?

Also you are mixing up claims. An INR claim requires proof of delivery but can be time limited. The more common reason for a PayPal claim after 5 months is for fraudulent use of a card, and that does not need proof of delivery to defend, merely proof of posting to PayPal address.
    You didn't take the trouble to listen to the item I linked or did you?
    Even basic proof of tracking may not be enough. Seller has to jump through hoops even when some proof of dispatch and delivery like the tracking trail OP posted was provided. OP will find out soon enough if their relative simply puts a refund claim in with Paypal (though OP hasn't confirmed that was the payment method).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure