Sky buyout of O2 Broadband

Comments

• We've been with O2 broadband for about 4.5 years and I've managed to keep the cost quite low I think. We currently pay £6.95 for unlimited broadband that I've only ever had a problem with once and was resolved to great effect. I think the customer service from O2 is second to none with a freephone number and helpful staff. I hope that doesn't change. Although if I can get a discount with Sky now that I'll have broadband, line rental and TV with them would be interesting.
  • wolverine03
    wolverine03 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Q - I get a £5 discount on my O2 BB for having a PAYG O2 Mobile. Will i still need to top up £10 every 3 months to retain the discount?
  • Ooh, interesting thanks.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Q - I get a £5 discount on my O2 BB for having a PAYG O2 Mobile. Will i still need to top up £10 every 3 months to retain the discount?

That's the same question that occurred to me too. I can't see Sky honouring this discount, which leave me no reason to leave my mobile with O2. Any thoughts?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman
    Your minimum contract remains in force, regardless of who now own it.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Recently got my daughter an iPhone on 02 and the bb discount played a big part in our choice.
    Really worried now as I am very anti Sky.
  • wolverine03
    wolverine03 Posts: 11 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    That's the same question that occurred to me too. I can't see Sky honouring this discount, which leave me no reason to leave my mobile with O2. Any thoughts?

Spoke to O2 BB - They (O2 or Sky) will honour the contract for its full length as long as the customer honours it. i.e You will still need to top up £10 every 3 months to maintain the £5 discount.

I renewed my contract yesterday and managed to get it free for 1 year. Put through as a manual discount. But if i forget to top up even once during any 3 month period, then i revert to £17.50 p.m. It looked really tempting yesterday. But today it looks a little risky!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Que? Mr Tickle is Talk Talk.

FYI I pay Sky £7.50 for BB and Talk + £119.40 for 12 months LR = £17.45 / month equivalent.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • macman
    Spoke to O2 BB - They (O2 or Sky) will honour the contract for its full length as long as the customer honours it. i.e You will still need to top up £10 every 3 months to maintain the £5 discount.

I renewed my contract yesterday and managed to get it free for 1 year. Put through as a manual discount. But if i forget to top up even once during any 3 month period, then i revert to £17.50 p.m. It looked really tempting yesterday. But today it looks a little risky!

OK, but what happens when you reach the end of your minimum term? Will a new 12m contract result in the loss of the mobile discount, and a switch to Sky's terms and prices? It makes no sense that it would not, since Sky will derive no ongoing revenue from your mobile account. So why would they give a discount based on it?
  • Artofdookie
    Artofdookie Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Been on O2 BB for years, rather than Sky get me for nothing i just switched today with Quidco for the £50 cashback and the 6 months free BB
    Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex, I Can See Through Your Skirt I've Got X-Ray Spex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure