Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• On Saturday I bought a 'full suspension' mountain bike from argos (£299.99). It arrived on tuesday and i've put it together, but i noticed that the front suspension didn't seem to have any play in it. i've just looked on their website to see if there were any instructions on how to adjust it, but there are none. The only 'suspension' the front seems to have is the air in the tyres! I also saw that they have reduced it by £100!. I paid by card. Is there anything I can do about this?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ashaf1976 wrote: »
    On Saturday I bought a 'full suspension' mountain bike from argos (£299.99). It arrived on tuesday and i've put it together, but i noticed that the front suspension didn't seem to have any play in it. i've just looked on their website to see if there were any instructions on how to adjust it, but there are none. The only 'suspension' the front seems to have is the air in the tyres! I also saw that they have reduced it by £100!. I paid by card. Is there anything I can do about this?

Did you order and pay for it online and have it delivered to your home?
    If so you can return it under DSR and then reorder at the reduced price.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• derrick wrote: »
    Did you order and pay for it online and have it delivered to your home?
    If so you can return it under DSR and then reorder at the reduced price.

I bought it from their shop, but it was a 'delivery only' item.

I have just got off the phone to their aftersales line, they offered me a replacement, but i declined and requested a refund instead - i don't know if this is a problem with the model of the bike or just this one, and also considering the same bike is £100 less now than what it was a couple of days ago. They won't accept it back at the shop unless a dimantle it first, so they are collecting on tuesday (fingers crossed), and once it is scanned into their warehouse it (plus the del charge) will be refunded to my card... leaving me free to check out other bikes that have also now been reduced. Thanks.:j
  • Hi All, my son ordered a mobile phone from Ebay which initially didn't arrive we chased it and then two arrived within a few days of each other - this was about 2 months ago. Since then we have been chasing the Ebay seller for him to arrange courier collection or send us a prepaid label to return it to him. He keeps saying yes he will but then he does nothing. I don't see why we should pay about £8 postage to return this item to him. Does anybody know what our rights are in this situation please?
  • gazzebo69
    gazzebo69 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Folks.

I bought a hoover from Currys the other day, the salesperson said to me "I have to point out to you, that if you return this hoover because it is faulty then we are not obliged to refund you or provide a replacement, it will be sent to the manufacterer for repair and you will have to wait until it is returned".

As I`m usually rushing around like a headless chicken, I didn`t think nothing of this. Only later that day, I thought, hold on a minute. If I get this hoover back now and its faulty, then they have to give me a new product, or a full refund. Surely, even if its like only a month old and its breaks down etc etc.

Just wondered if anyone, had any thoughts on this. Am sure their policy on returning a faulty hoover is wrong in this case.

Btw, the hoover works fine so far.

Regards
    Gazza.
  • nsg24
    nsg24 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Anybody got any ideas?
    I bought a stereo amplifier from RICHER SOUNDS 18 months ago. I only got around to wiring it up 13 months ago and it has just stopped working! I have tried replacing fuses etc.
    I contacted RICHER SOUNDS who say I would have to 'pay for an engineer to look at it as its 12 month guarantee has expired.'
    Is this right that a product should only last 13 months and my only choice is to purchase a new one as a repair could cost just as much?!
  • louby01
    louby01 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi everyone,
    Hope someone can help - I purchased a portable dvd player from a high profile electrical company online in march 2010. its very rarely used. The played did not hold its charge. Spoke to company and returned to them. They promptly returned it back stating nothing wrong with it. I rang them again and they replaced item without question. I never tried to use the USB on the item until recently when I discoved that the USB was not recognised. Tried many other pen drives of brands and sizes- and all the same error message along with overheating USBs. Spoke to company again last week and they said to return the item. Did so and have just recieved item back with an unsigned comp slip stating not in warranty? Does the warranty go from the date of original purchase (March 2010) or the date of replaced item (Jan 2011) Many thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi :)

From the date of original purchase.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • nsg24
    nsg24 Posts: 2 Newbie
    nsg24 wrote: »
    Anybody got any ideas?
    I bought a stereo amplifier from RICHER SOUNDS 18 months ago. I only got around to wiring it up 13 months ago and it has just stopped working! I have tried replacing fuses etc.
    I contacted RICHER SOUNDS who say I would have to 'pay for an engineer to look at it as its 12 month guarantee has expired.'
    Is this right that a product should only last 13 months and my only choice is to purchase a new one as a repair could cost just as much?!
    EXCELLENT RESULT!! :
    RICHER SOUNDS have given me a full credit note including the delivery charge I paid!
    Contacted customer service and asked for - an investigation into the fault and a repair or a full refund as I did not think this was a reasonable amount of time for the product to last.
    (got this info after googling and finding an article from The Guardian about a reasonable length of time for a product to last after the warranty has ended, up to six years. The article suggests steps to take.)
    They emailed me back within 2 hours and couldn't have been nicer, saying they too didn't think it was a reasonable length of time. The warranty ran out six months ago so. Took it back to my local shop where they too couldn't have been nicer! Full refund and refunded delivery charge which I put towards a replacement amp. They also said I could take it back if it didn't have enough power for my speakers!
    Massive thanks to RICHER SOUNDS for being downright decent and a pleasure to do business with.
  • peksy86
    peksy86 Posts: 20 Forumite
    I hope this is the right place to post this :)

I had a subscription with a magazine but I had the direct debit cancelled. The company was made aware of this and there was no contract.

Payment was not taken for the next issue but I was still sent the next instalment. I haven't been asked for payment at all whether by letter or payment slip.

Am I allowed to keep it or do I have to send it back???

I remember watching Martin on TV saying if you received a diamond necklace addressed to you and payment was not requested than you could keep it??

Thanks very much :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure