Madasafish Questions/answers (merged threads)

I am currently taking Martin's advice and switching to madasafish broadband.

They promise speeds of 8Mb a minute, but when I enter my number in their signing-up section, it indicates that my local area (Euston) has an estimated running speed of 2Mb.

Does anyone know if this means I'll be paying for 8Mb but only receiving 2Mb?

Thanks

Comments

• lowbrim
    lowbrim Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes that is the maximum your area can do at the moment
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Euston should be up to 8meg from March 31st:
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=CLEUS

This is the date when BT launch their MAX service providing up to 8mb for most broadband enabled exchanges. Before now you have only been able to get 8meg on LLU - Local Loop Unbundling where a ISP will put their own equipment in the exchange instead of BTs (which had a max of 2meg). But from 31st March most BT equipment in exchanges will be able to go up to 8meg.

I sound like a poor press release don't I? :D
  • mikemoate
    mikemoate Posts: 414 Forumite
    Yes but BT are upgrading exchanges to 8mb from 31st March 06. You can check here in respect of this http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

You need to go to the Exchange Search link under availability on the left hand side and enter the name of your local exchange if you know it. On the results page look for ADSL Max Enable Date. from that date you should be able to get 8mb on Madasafish as they will use your BT line to provide the service.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Hello All,

As a side note: for those who are on exchanges whose current MAX speed is 2Mb, that (of course) will be the maximum speed you will be able to receive when you sign up (as noted in this thread).

All Madasafish customers on the Max and Max Plus products whose current fastest speed at their exchange is 2Mb will be upgraded free of charge to the speeds up to 8Mb when the service becomes available.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • Larsony01
    Larsony01 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks very much for that.

Samara - could you tell me why the advertised price with the promo code is £10.99 for the first six months but I'm on the madasafish signup page now and it's quoted me a sign up of £16.98. I understand how this breaks down, so no need to go into that, but could you explain whether this extra cost will be reflected in future bills etc.?
  • Hello Larsony,

Happy to explain:

Your next five invoices will be for £10.99 a month, the following six invoices will be for £16.99 a month. This is provided that you do not exceed the 5GB usage allowance.

When you enter the promotion code 'cheaper' during sign up, you get the first six months for £10.99 a month and then the following six months for £16.99 a month.

When you sign up and use this promotion code, your bill will be:

£10.99 for your first month of service
    £5.99 Postage and Packing on the Router
    TOTAL: £16.98

To quickly explain the billing; you are billed for your first month of service when you sign up. Your billing period doesn't actually start until your services go live, so you aren't actually paying for the time that you weren't online with us.

I hope that all makes sense.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • cheghead
    cheghead Posts: 849 Forumite
    Hello Larsony,

Happy to explain:

Your next five invoices will be for £10.99 a month, the following six invoices will be for £16.99 a month. This is provided that you do not exceed the 5GB usage allowance.

When you enter the promotion code 'cheaper' during sign up, you get the first six months for £10.99 a month and then the following six months for £16.99 a month.

When you sign up and use this promotion code, your bill will be:

£10.99 for your first month of service
    £5.99 Postage and Packing on the Router
    TOTAL: £16.98

To quickly explain the billing; you are billed for your first month of service when you sign up. Your billing period doesn't actually start until your services go live, so you aren't actually paying for the time that you weren't online with us.

I hope that all makes sense.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care

Do you have to take the router?
    How long does it take to sign up? My existing bb ends on 16th April and I have been waiting over 2 weeks for a MAC code from Talktalk. Wondered if it was worth signing up now or should I hold out for MAC code?
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    cheghead wrote:
    Do you have to take the router?
    How long does it take to sign up? My existing bb ends on 16th April and I have been waiting over 2 weeks for a MAC code from Talktalk. Wondered if it was worth signing up now or should I hold out for MAC code?
    You don't have to ( take modem) but MAAF CS recommended I took it out as no tech support if using own equipment. I plan to set up and then check with my wireless equipment. If it works ok, I'll either sell the modem or keep as a spare if anything goes wrong with my current equipment.
    other qu: approx 7 days from giving MAC code.
  • duncansby
    duncansby Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all - according to the website we go to 8meg on March 31st. As we are with madasafish (who are very good by the way) then our connection speed should increase automatically :)
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Just got email from Madasafish saying I was live. However I have done nothing to my Netgear modem router and haven't inputted any username or password but am accessing BB OK. Am I really shot of "that dreadful other company"?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure