Wi-Fi Calling with Android smartphone.

Comments

• giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm investigating getting a new phone with wifi calling when my contract expires in a month or so. I live in an area with poor/no indoor reception and am currently with Vodafone and use a sure signal booster. These machines don't last that long and I'm sick of paying Vodafone £70 or so because of their poor network. No other network is better so wifi calling seems a good alternative but I've found the phone companies are very poor at updating their sites. Several give contradictory advice from one page to another, virtually all won't work on PAYG phones.

It is very hard to get clear and up to date advice as to whether, for example, you can buy a phone from Amazon or similar, get a monthly SIM card and then whether wifi calling will work. ID Mobile(one of the few non big operators who do offer wifi calling) are pretty clear but the main operators are very mealy mouthed as is BT Mobile. I think they are just seeking to make you feel it is too much of a risk to get a phone which is not from them but a lot of people in rural areas (and some urban ones) are affected by poor reception.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wifi calling just works on Three with my Honor 10, that I got from Amazon.
  • Giraffe69,i can confirm three wifi calling,and 4g super voice,does work on payg. Like i said in this thread b4,my s7 was o2 branded
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Three is the only network to offer WiFi Calling on PAYG.
    ====
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Three, iD and by BT Mobile offer it by default.
    Vodafone, EE and O2 on some pay monthly tariffs only.

You may be able to activate 4G calling (VoLTE) by entering a code into the handset. I'd certainly recommend it on 3 / iD.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Three, iD and by BT Mobile offer it by default.

The BT Mobile website says "Wi-Fi Calling works on any Apple handset from iPhone 5s onwards, and certain Android handsets bought from us too. " suggesting that sim only with a non apple phone is a risk (sadly).

Mind you elsewhere on the same site it says "It's available to anyone with BT Mobile - whether you've got SIM only, a Family SIM or a BT Mobile phone plan. You'll need a compatible device with the latest software." which gives hope.

Its a good example of how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and an attempt to make it difficult for the consumer.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just plugged my 3 SIM into a DTEK60 I have here as a test device, no WIFI calling. Not 100% surprised by that!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • giraffe69 wrote: »
    The BT Mobile website says "Wi-Fi Calling works on any Apple handset from iPhone 5s onwards, and certain Android handsets bought from us too. " suggesting that sim only with a non apple phone is a risk (sadly).

Mind you elsewhere on the same site it says "It's available to anyone with BT Mobile - whether you've got SIM only, a Family SIM or a BT Mobile phone plan. You'll need a compatible device with the latest software." which gives hope.

Its a good example of how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and an attempt to make it difficult for the consumer.

I am with BTMobile (sim only monthly contract) and can confirm that wifi calling works on a Motorola Moto G7 and more than one model of Umidigi mobile phones.
    They do need to update their information. Anyone would think that, looking on their website, BT are trying to promote purchasing a phone from them if wifi calling is required!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    edited 16 October 2019 at 1:24PM
    giraffe69 wrote: »

It works by default - if you have a compatible phone.

My Samsung has generic firmware (BTU) and works fine now. With BT, you could flash the host network (EE) firmware and it may help.
  • bat999 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for your comments.

I thought that Three might be using Wi-Fi Calling as a way to flog phones.
    "Either buy one from us or do without Wi-Fi Calling".

But that's my cynical outlook.
    I am old and bitter and twisted and I'm probably wrong.
    :p

I think it's like this...

Three are saying if you buy an Android phone from us then Wi-Fi Calling will just work. That's because we have negotiated with those phone makers and they have agreed to install the appropriate firmware (otherwise we won't sell their phones!).

And if you buy your Android phone from somewhere else that's OK too, you are welcome to use Three's Wi-Fi Calling. But if it doesn't work then it's up to you to pester the phone maker to get them to provide a patch for their firmware (good luck with that one!).

This seems fair enough.
    We can't expect Three to chase up the hundreds of phone makers with their thousands of models and variants, only the ones that they sell themselves.

I'm surprised that the networks don't advertise Wi-Fi Calling more.
    I think that with Wi-Fi Calling we are effectively making mobile phone calls down a landline.
    This will free up capacity on the towers.

Probably many people don't even know about it.
    They might be pacing back and forth in their gardens trying to get a signal when they could be sat inside on the settee with their router only a few feet away.
    ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport