Electricity supplier provided wrong readings to new supplier

Recently moved into rented property, I changed supplier and gave my meter reading. 3 weeks later received a welcome email checked my online account and the meter reading is so different it means according to them my 1 bedroom flat (during summer months) has used £1100.00 in electricity in 8 weeks! The meter readings I gave match those provided by the letting agent in the inventory. My new supplier is challenging the meter readings provided by the old supplier but I am really concerned that I will be left with his debt. I have emailed the letting agent as they obviously did not provide readings while the flat was empty before I move in. Where do I stand, what do i do?

Comments

• kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    you have proof of the reading in your check in inventory. That is the figure that will be used as your check in reading unless you contest it within the appointed timeframe with the letting agent.
    did you take pictures of the meter readings that you submitted to the supplier? it always helps to take a snap of the meter showing the meter no and the current reading and email to the supplier. That way there can be no confusion on ether part.
    Hopefully if the new supplier has contested the readings then you should with the evidence you have from your inventory etc be able to get it adjusted correctly.
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Well I did take a photo but my phone was damaged so lost all the photos��. I agree with the inventory reading and signed and returned the inventory as correct. Not sure if it’s the letting agent that should be sorting this out
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Never rely on letting agents to sort energy billing issues out. They're not the ones liable for the bills if it all goes wrong. Forward them any bills relating to energy consumption before your tenancy began, but sort everything relating to your consumption and bills yourself.

In my experience letting agents are incompetent at most things they do, but they have no financial incentive to get anything related to energy bills right.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well I did take a photo but my phone was damaged so lost all the photos��. I agree with the inventory reading and signed and returned the inventory as correct. Not sure if it’s the letting agent that should be sorting this out

If they're saying that the current meter readings are vastly different to the ones you provided then just take a new picture. It'll clearly show they've got it wrong and help to back up your side of things.

If it's the meter readings that you had when you moved in that they claim are different then that won't work.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ...................... has used £1100.00 in electricity in 8 weeks!..............

How did you come to that figure ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    OP did you register with the old supplier first ??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 October 2019 at 12:58PM
    The Secure Liberty smart meters (in dumb mode ) fool people when they do not see the decimal point before the last digit.. its extremely easy to miss this with the result of a ludicrous bill churned out by the computer. .
    .It takes a bit of an numpty to get a simple 4 or 5 digit number wrong and also a numpty supplier to ignore the historic readings they have available for every property who joins them but these very common meters now in use continue to mess up readings with their ludicrous 8 digit index with its equally ludicrous decimal point even on electric readings.This meter is the only domestic meter , to my knowledge , which has a pointless little dot hiding behind the 7 th digit..
    Many of the solar panel meters have them and equally mess up the billing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport