Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I was wondering whether anyone has tried to sign up for Vodafone through the link on here where you get a £100 gift card or through any of the cashback sites.

Even though I've got a mobile contract (2 in fact) with Vodafone it comes back that i have failed a credit check. Strangely though if I speak to Vodafone on the phone or chat they are happy enough to process the order. Seems they just want to avoid giving me the bonus cashback/gift card.

They fed me some suspiciously sounding rubbish that when you go through the links its a copy of the Vodafone website and not really their site. Anyone had that before?

Tempted to go straight to Vodafone and order it to see if it fails the credit check and then when it passed ask about the £100 voucher offer. When they come back and say you didn't click the link etc etc i'll say thats fine and cancel the order. Would be interesting to see what they do in that case

I placed an order through MSE broadband choices on the 19th August. I had to register for the gift card first and then click on a link to the Vodafone site in the acknowledgement email to place the broadband order. Well if it is a copy, strangely enough they accepted my order and sent me a router ready for my connection date next Tuesday. A copy of the Vodafone site?! What rubbish!
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Tharweb wrote: »
    I placed an order through MSE broadband choices on the 19th August. I had to register for the gift card first and then click on a link to the Vodafone site in the acknowledgement email to place the broadband order. Well if it is a copy, strangely enough they accepted my order and sent me a router ready for my connection date next Tuesday. A copy of the Vodafone site?! What rubbish!

Thanks I just continued through after registering for the gift card and got to do the order process before it decided my credit rating was not good enough - which is crap as it's on the up and has been for last few months and I have absolutely have no issues with credit.

I knew the copy site was bull crap but I thought it was an unusual thing to say, yes there is affiliate links but not different websites lol

I'll give it a go with the link in the email
  • Still failed credit check - which is bull crap. I am tempted to place the order without the link and see what happens. If I get order accepted will try and claim the card otherwise cancel the order and see what they do then
  • I'm looking for normal broadband and line rental only (I do not make landline calls) and wanted to offer what I can find as the best deal available.

It's going to Now Broadband through Topcashback (which I know isn't guaranteed). Paying £18.00 per month for 12 months and getting £90 cashback. Totaling £126.00 for the year or £10.50 per month.

This slightly beats the offers available on the MSE cheap broadband page, so I wonder why it is not listed.

Has anyone else found any better deals?
  • I'm looking for normal broadband and line rental only (I do not make landline calls) and wanted to offer what I can find as the best deal available.

It's going to Now Broadband through Topcashback (which I know isn't guaranteed). Paying £18.00 per month for 12 months and getting £90 cashback. Totaling £126.00 for the year or £10.50 per month.

This slightly beats the offers available on the MSE cheap broadband page, so I wonder why it is not listed.

MSE doesn't list cashback deals through the likes of TCB because of the very reason you stated yourself, there's no guarantee they'll track.
  • MSE doesn't list cashback deals through the likes of TCB because of the very reason you stated yourself, there's no guarantee they'll track.

And because MSE gets commission from its own links too surely? (which it's completely open about)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm looking for normal broadband and line rental only (I do not make landline calls) and wanted to offer what I can find as the best deal available.

To my surprise, I got PlusNet to match the Now deal, which is £18/month including Anytime calls, but PlusNet's deal is better, as the price is fixed and includes online security which Now does not.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,114
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    To my surprise, I got PlusNet to match the Now deal, which is £18/month including Anytime calls, but PlusNet's deal is better, as the price is fixed and includes online security which Now does not.

Blimey, good for you. Maybe all the folk leaving has had some impact at last
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE doesn't list cashback deals through the likes of TCB because of the very reason you stated yourself, there's no guarantee they'll track.

I am not sure that is the reason as they do mention about taking advantage of cashback at least in other sections of the website but with the warning it is not certain to be paid. Also MSE a few years back always showed the Cashback offers, I still have emails in my inbox where they mentioned them as well in the weekly email.

Once MSE launched their own tool they seemed to stop including them on the main pages. I would be pretty confident in guessing why.
  • That's good news for someone for plusnet, the best they offered me worked out at £22.49 a month (when paying upfront for the line rental saver £197.88 and then £6 per month for 12 months).

So... is the nowTV offer (with the gamble of cashback) at £10.50 a month for 12 months the cheapest currently possible?

I've seen some pretty poor reviews for nowTV and smears from plusnet about the state of their technical help over the phone. Also lots of bad reviews for shell broadband, which is advertised on MSE coming in at just a few pence more per month.

Any other suggestions? I know black friday is coming up, but as I recall from last year, most offers were related to premium packages only (involving inclusive calls, tv packages, fibre+ connections, all of which I do not want).

Seems to be a hike in basic broadband going on so people "may as well" pay the extra few pounds a month for fibre. And 18 month packages, specifically troublesome when products like "line rental savers" are only offered as 12 month periods.

Thanks everyone!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure