Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 19th Dec 18, 9:02 AM
    • 600Posts
    • 1,197Thanks
    charlotte1994
    0 WOW
    Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:02 AM
    0 WOW
    Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day? 19th Dec 18 at 9:02 AM
    My local Home Bargains shop is closed Boxing Day, they say so the staff can have a break and be with their families. I love this idea, I don't see why people need to go shopping (that isn't for food) on Boxing day, the staff need a break too!!

I remember my mum telling me about a customer who came into her shop and asked if they were open Christmas Day, she said of course not and he replied "well what if I need more wine?"

Do you think all shops should follow suit? Or do you think they should open for Boxing Day?
Page 1
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Dec 18, 9:07 AM
    • 5,493 Posts
    • 18,388 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:07 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:07 AM
    if ALL the staff said no to working Boxing Day then the shops would have no choice.
    • Redknapps Dog
    • By Redknapps Dog 19th Dec 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 3,527 Thanks
    Redknapps Dog
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:08 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:08 AM
    No need at all for any shop to be open Boxing Day.
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 19th Dec 18, 9:10 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 8,413 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:10 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:10 AM
    Originally posted by Redknapps Dog
    My local shop is owned and run by a Muslim family. Should I tell them not to open over Christmas?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Dec 18, 9:16 AM
    • 28,214 Posts
    • 60,137 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:16 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:16 AM
    Ordinarily I would be on the side of family life, but given it's actually become quite common for certain shops to be open on Boxing Day and that the country can now not afford to stop trading for a second, I say throw those doors wide open.

The arguments re: other religions are specious. Christmas is the national holiday and the only two days when most trading ceases in England are Christmas Day and Easter Sunday.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 19th Dec 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 8,670 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:17 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:17 AM
    Exactly right Eric. I also think it is funny that the people who say shopworkers need the break seem to be quite happy with all sorts of other groups working, after all doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, the police, the fire service. Presumably they don't deserve any time off. Some might be more essential than others but lots of sectors will be working but it seems like only shop workers get the sympathy.

We don't need shops open every day, let's say we have shops open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Perfectly adequate and why shouldn't they have weekends with their families?

I've got a novel idea, why don't we let businesses make business decisions.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 19th Dec 18, 9:21 AM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:21 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:21 AM
    Originally posted by Redknapps Dog
    Lots of reasons why someone might want something on boxing day. I dont see a need for them to shut, customers want to buy, staff are willing to work and the shop is happy to open so whilst the need might be questionable, the desire for shops to be open is there. As such theyll always open.
    Don't be angry!
    • Twopints
    • By Twopints 19th Dec 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    Twopints
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:28 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:28 AM
    My local shop is owned and run by a Muslim family. Should I tell them not to open over Christmas?
    Originally posted by Eric_the_half_a_bee
    They can open if they *want* to but they don't need to.
    Not even wrong
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 19th Dec 18, 9:40 AM
    • 15,537 Posts
    • 29,153 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:40 AM
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:40 AM
    Surely this should be a commercial decision to be made by the retailers?
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 19th Dec 18, 9:42 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    Exactly right Eric. I also think it is funny that the people who say shopworkers need the break seem to be quite happy with all sorts of other groups working, after all doctors, nurses, hospitality workers, the police, the fire service. Presumably they don't deserve any time off. Some might be more essential than others but lots of sectors will be working but it seems like only shop workers get the sympathy.

We don't need shops open every day, let's say we have shops open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Perfectly adequate and why shouldn't they have weekends with their families?

I've got a novel idea, why don't we let businesses make business decisions.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Yeah it's not like these are services we need or anything, you can go without shopping for some new boots for a day or two but you can live without the nurses and paramedics.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 19th Dec 18, 9:46 AM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Yeah it's not like these are services we need or anything, you can go without shopping for some new boots for a day or two but you can live without the nurses and paramedics.
    Originally posted by charlotte1994
    Wheres a nurse or paramedic going to get their coffee or dinner from?
    Don't be angry!
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 19th Dec 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    donnac2558
    The shops have been opening on Boxing Day for years won't start closing now.

Boxing Day is a normal day in Scotland.

A friend runs a garage Euro Spar and their busy day is actually Christmas Day. They make a fortune and Maxal and Spar insist they open.
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 19th Dec 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 5,145 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    Originally posted by spadoosh

Coffee? Anywhere.

Dinner? Ever heard of leftovers?
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • Cetshwayo
    • By Cetshwayo 19th Dec 18, 9:51 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Cetshwayo
    Depends where you are in the country, the sales start on Boxing Day in Scotland. But then we much prefer a couple of days off at New Year.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 19th Dec 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 8,670 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Originally posted by charlotte1994

But you can manage without hospitality staff can't you? Why do people need to go out for a meal on Boxing Day, why do people need to go to the theatre, go for a drink? Do you watch TV on Boxing Day, do you actually need to watch it, can't you amuse yourself for a day without TV.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 19th Dec 18, 9:56 AM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Coffee? Anywhere.

Dinner? Ever heard of leftovers?
    Originally posted by HornetSaver
    Ever heard of free will?
    Don't be angry!
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 19th Dec 18, 9:56 AM
    • 34,187 Posts
    • 103,779 Thanks
    Marisco
    But you can manage without hospitality staff can't you? Why do people need to go out for a meal on Boxing Day, why do people need to go to the theatre, go for a drink? Do you watch TV on Boxing Day, do you actually need to watch it, can't you amuse yourself for a day without TV.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    They don't.
    No
    Yes
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 19th Dec 18, 10:05 AM
    • 4,898 Posts
    • 13,218 Thanks
    Alikay
    I'd like shops to close on Boxing Day to give their staff some family time. If you need something on Boxing day, you can either plan in advance and buy it on 24th, or wait another day and buy it on the 27th. Problem comes when some shops open and others don't: Customers will go buy from whoever's open. If all shops were closed, we'd all just wait.

I think it's reasonable for small convenience stores and pharmacies to open, though.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 19th Dec 18, 10:09 AM
    • 15,892 Posts
    • 22,240 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    I believe it is possible to make coffee and lunch yourself.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 19th Dec 18, 10:12 AM
    • 6,480 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    spadoosh
    I'd like shops to close on Boxing Day to give their staff some family time. If you need something on Boxing day, you can either plan in advance and buy it on 24th, or wait another day and buy it on the 27th. Problem comes when some shops open and others don't: Customers will go buy from whoever's open. If all shops were closed, we'd all just wait.

I think it's reasonable for small convenience stores and pharmacies to open, though.
    Originally posted by Alikay
    So people want to?

We dont need to celebrate christmas but we do need to shut on boxing day because people want to celebrate Christmas? Is that what youre saying?
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,565Users online

Martin's Twitter